RTV900 Engine Temperature Gauge

/ RTV900 Engine Temperature Gauge #1  

crazyangel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-HST; Kubota RTV900
The engine temperature gauge on my RTV900 is not working. I have done a basic check of the wires to make sure everything is plugged in and that there is no visible damage on the wires. How can I test whether the problem lies with the sensing element in the engine or at the gauge itself?

:confused:

/ RTV900 Engine Temperature Gauge #2  
I am having the same problem, but mine will work some of the time. Still under warranty so may end up going back to dealer.

/ RTV900 Engine Temperature Gauge #3  
Another TBN member had over heaqting problem, gauge not working...here is what he found:

So my problem turns out to be the temp sensor that screws into thermostat housing. Its what tells the relay to kick fan on. my fan should kick on right at the halfway mark and if i barely tap it it the fan will kick on, as long as guage is above that. Dealer is sending me one under warranty but I'm looking for one in stock so I have it before the long holiday weekend. part number 1g910-83040. Nobody has this item in stock.

see this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/263117-rtv-1100-overheating-problem.html

Plykins, is your dealer the one in Temple, or in Austin, or?

Last edited:
   / RTV900 Engine Temperature Gauge
plykins said:
I am having the same problem, but mine will work some of the time. Still under warranty so may end up going back to dealer.

I have this info to help you diagnose:

KennyV said:
Your sensing element that is screwed into the engine is a variable resistor, it is changed by heat.

Take the wire off the temp sensor and short it to the engine block, that should indicate hot on the gauge... if it has not then the wiring, gauge or power to the gauge is the problem... if it moves the gauge then the sensor is bad...

Please let me know how your fix turns out.

/ RTV900 Engine Temperature Gauge #6  
Another TBN member had over heaqting problem, gauge not working...here is what he found:

So my problem turns out to be the temp sensor that screws into thermostat housing. Its what tells the relay to kick fan on. my fan should kick on right at the halfway mark and if i barely tap it it the fan will kick on, as long as guage is above that. Dealer is sending me one under warranty but I'm looking for one in stock so I have it before the long holiday weekend. part number 1g910-83040. Nobody has this item in stock.

see this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/263117-rtv-1100-overheating-problem.html

Plykins, is your dealer the one in Temple, or in Austin, or?

John, I bought it in Taylor, but the guys in Temple said they would have no problems doing warranty work on it.

/ RTV900 Engine Temperature Gauge #8  
I have this info to help you diagnose:

Please let me know how your fix turns out.
crazyangel, checked it out and no reading on gauge. I also had noticed when it is working, the needle on the gauge will move slightly when you turn the key on. when it is not working the needle does not move. So it must be the gauge, or wiring to it. Will let the dealer figure it out. Thanks for the info!!

/ RTV900 Engine Temperature Gauge
My problem turned out to be the sensor. When I removed the wire and made contact to ground the needle on the gauge shot up to hot. New sensor is less than $25. I love it when a fix is that simple. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for your advice KennyV!

/ RTV900 Engine Temperature Gauge #10  
I bypassed the temp switch with a rocker switch so I can turn it on or off as needed. The only time mine gets hot is plowing snow. So I just switch it on when I start and off when done. Cost of switch $1.89.

Last edited: