Kubota RTV500 + MUTS Trailer + Kubota B3300SU + Wallenstein Chipper

/ Kubota RTV500 + MUTS Trailer + Kubota B3300SU + Wallenstein Chipper #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower
It was a beautiful day in North-Central Florida.

Attached the MUTS trailer to the RTV500, loaded the Wallenstein BX42s PTO Chipper onto 3-Pt. of Kubota B3300SU.....and went chipping.

We are having Fall. Our leaves are turning colors, although muted because temps are still in the 70's. C'mon down!

LINKS:

Kubota Tractor Corporation - Utility Vehicles | RTV 500

MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler - Welcome

BX42r/BX62r Wood Chippers - Wallenstein

ONE of the things I like about digital photography is the way daily used, grimy equipment appears CLEAN.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
   / Kubota RTV500 + MUTS Trailer + Kubota B3300SU + Wallenstein Chipper
Here is the evolved selection of tools I carry in the bed of the RTV500.

Note $6 "suicide knob" on steering wheel; ersatz power steering.

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
   / Kubota RTV500 + MUTS Trailer + Kubota B3300SU + Wallenstein Chipper #3  
We've had 20-24" of snow over the past week....somehow I hate you know for no apparent reason.:laughing: J/K nice looking equipment, the lack of snow looks most inviting.:D

I will trade you one day of brilliant Florida sunshine for a LARGE Maine Lobster.

How did you acquire the name DIXIEDOG when you live in Maine? U of Georgia?

/ Kubota RTV500 + MUTS Trailer + Kubota B3300SU + Wallenstein Chipper #5  
Nice pics! How u like the trailer?

/ Kubota RTV500 + MUTS Trailer + Kubota B3300SU + Wallenstein Chipper #6  
I will trade you one day of brilliant Florida sunshine for a LARGE Maine Lobster.

How did you acquire the name DIXIEDOG when you live in Maine? U of Georgia?

I got a dog named Dixie :laughing:

I have worked the MUTS two years. Hauled a lot of wood. Hauled a lot of dirt.

Empties 100% of dirt loads; no raking dirt out. Spreads dirt, chips and other bulk loads evenly.

Simple mast and winch setup works very well.

Both ends slide out allowing long loads (trees, lumber) and large volumes of brush to be transported.

Loads are carried low, between the wheels, so trailer is stable loaded and unloaded. Will follow the RTV500 across very rough ground, rarely requiring use of 4WD. Must have some goat DNA.

Half-ton capacity of MUTS well matched to 16.5 horsepower and Hydrostatic Transmission of RTV500.

Check out MUTS video link in opening post. Videos convinced me to "go MUTS" two years ago.

A well evolved design.

Last edited:
   / Kubota RTV500 + MUTS Trailer + Kubota B3300SU + Wallenstein Chipper #8  
I have worked the MUTS two years. Hauled a lot of wood. Hauled a lot of dirt.

Empties 100% of dirt loads; no raking dirt out. Spreads dirt, chips and other bulk loads evenly.

Simple mast and winch setup works very well.

Both ends slide out allowing long loads (trees, lumber) and large volumes of brush to be transported.

Loads are carried low, between the wheels, so trailer is stable loaded and unloaded. Will follow the RTV500 across very rough ground, rarely requiring use of 4WD. Must have some goat DNA.

Half-ton capacity of MUTS well matched to 16.5 horsepower and Hydrostatic Transmission of RTV500.

Check out MUTS video link in opening post. Videos convinced me to "go MUTS" two years ago.

A well evolved design.

Yes I like them very much. Ever see any used? Not sure I can swing the new price! :eek:

Chipper knife sharpening for dry wood.

I've got quite a pile of fallen tree limbs collected over a couple of years. Mostly maple, but some Hemlock.

I'm in the processes of freshening the MacKissick chipper/ shredder, and anticipate going after that pile of dry and rotted stuff.

Should The chipper knives be reconfigured?

No.

Chipping totally dry wood causes the blades to get very hot. Hot blades dull considerably faster than cool blades. Try to chip when material is green or half dry.

It requires considerably more PTO power to chip desiccated woody material than moist or semi-moist material.

I had a Wallenstein chipper for five years. I finally sold the chipper, returned to burning debris and buying mulch when I need it. I think buying mulch in pickup truck + trailer quantity is cheaper than chipping branches.

You may find otherwise.

Chipper owners most happy with chippers long term are chipping material of a uniform hardness. (Christmas tree farms, vineyards ). Then the blades can be set for optimum chip thickness = thicker for soft woods (faster chipping, fewer heat producing cuts), thinner for moist hard woods (so chipper only slows moderately under load).

Last edited: