2011 JD Gator 825i Purchase

/ 2011 JD Gator 825i Purchase #1  

econometrics

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i
Hello all! My first post at the forum here. I've been lurking for a while now, doing some research on buying a UTV for some land my wife and I just purchased.

I really went back and forth between the Polaris Ranger 800 and the JD Gator 825i. I like the workhorse qualities of the JD, but the recreational features of the Ranger.

Well, I was eyeing a used, 2011 825i over the past couple of weeks and I finally made a deal with the seller tonight.

160 hours; 600 miles; Big Horn package, grill guard, aftermarket steel roof with front and rear fog lights, bench seat, black and olive, etc. etc. Got it for $9500 flat.

Just wanted to get yall's consensus on whether or not I got a decent deal on this thing. I was weighing a used Gator 825 against a new or slightly used 2011 / 2012 Ranger 800.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks!

/ 2011 JD Gator 825i Purchase #2  
Welcome aboard,, I don't know if you got a good deal or not. I have a gator but I have had it for 6 years or more.. I have chanced the oil twice plus steam clean it twice.. it starts and run every time.. Lou

/ 2011 JD Gator 825i Purchase #3  
My wife and looked at one just like you bought except a 2012 with no Big horn package and the dealer wanted 13,000.
I think you did very well.:thumbsup:

/ 2011 JD Gator 825i Purchase
Thanks for the feedback so far! After sleeping on it, I'm really satisfied with what I paid for the 825.

And I took it out and drove it around some today and REALLY am glad I went with the Gator vs Ranger!

/ 2011 JD Gator 825i Purchase #5  
:welcome:

/ 2011 JD Gator 825i Purchase #6  
Sounds like a bargain....I really like my 2012 825i....it's been a great machine so far. The thing is an animal plowing snow, my RTV 500 was nice too but the Gator has it beat by a long shot when it comes to traction or moving big banks....it just powers right through everything.

Thanks for the feedback, DIXIEDOG! :thumbsup:

/ 2011 JD Gator 825i Purchase #8  
Well, the Mrs. and I did much the same thing with our purchase and decided to go with the Ranger. The ride qualities we far and away superior on the Ranger compared to the 825i. I really wanted diesel for the longevity and down right brutal low end torque offered in the Polaris Yanmar diesel. It seems that there are new emissions standards coming for diesel engines (Courtesy of our esteemed President. Don't get me started) and diesel engines are even offered any longer for the 2012 model year. There are around $1000 worth of added costs for the 2013 model year for diesel engines Those that have any 2012 diesels are hanging onto them to sell at a higher price after the increase for the next model year.

Bottom line, the Polaris was much more suited for my equine facility and work performed here.

I, also, am caretaker for an 80 acre Equine Preserve that this machine will far surpass the 10 year old Cushman Truckster it's replacing. I sold it separately to help defray some of the costs in detailing the replacement.
(Like; Floor Pans..Bumpers (F&R)..Front Receiver Hitch..Winch..Roof..Turbo Charger..Gun Rack..Bed Extender..Side Extensions..Twin Exhaust Stacks behind the Cab)

You know, NECESSITIES!

Glad to hear you got something that works well for you! I had some of the same considerations in selecting a UTV (power being one of the highest, like it was for you here). Like you said, it was going to be extra $$ to get the diesel in the Polaris, plus brand new prices (vs. the "get them out the door" 2012) prices. That's why I was glad I found this 2011 Gator so well priced. I got all the power I need for a lot less than a brand new Ranger.

I would have probably went with a Ranger if I couldn't find a Gator for under $12K or so.

/ 2011 JD Gator 825i Purchase #10  
I bought a new Gator 825i gas in Sept. 2012. Very pleased with it . I had a 2005 Yamaha Rhino . The Gator is a great addition to the toy collection. But very pricey, I have it with all the options. And full JD cab. Have 100 hrs on it now .