Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not restart after stating with motor racing.

/ Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not restart after stating with motor racing. #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
Our Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not start.

This occurred during a sudden cold spell where temps dropped way below 0 deg F.

The RTV 900 started and ran ok twice during this 4 day cold snap. Battery is strong.

I just went out to use it again. The outside temperature was up to 12 F.

I energized the Glow Plug, then waited 20 seconds and it fired right up , but was racing at full throttle and blowing grew particulate smoke.

I pumped the throttle, thinking it was stuck, no change it continued to race.

I shut the motor down.

I tried to restart, NO GO. It just cranks, not even a sputter.

I cranked the starter to raise the bed, but could not see anything obviously wrong, It was too dark and cold so I figure maybe someone on the forum had this experience and could give me a place to start?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

/ Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not restart after stating with motor racing. #2  
It sounds like something more is the problem. You could have frozen fuel depending on when you filled the tank last.

/ Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not restart after stating with motor racing. #3  
I am thinking that you have waxing issue - just before it gelled up. you have some fuel- the rest is being exhausted out as unburned fuel explaing the smoke. you probably "pulled in" the gelled part of fuel into the engine which explain the non starting. time for 911 or get the rtv warmed up. It's gonna be awhile as you need to warm the engine block to thaw out the fuel in it in a heated garage . Or do things a bit hard way -- 911 in tank, have heater going to warm engine block, change fuel filter, remove injectors and run fuel pump till liquid comes out, reconnect and bleed. then try to start again.

/ Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not restart after stating with motor racing. #4  
art may be right...ice in the fuel system. A bit of water in your water separator, etc. It sounds like the problem is in your injection pump. The rack is sticking or frozen. Place your hand on the side of the injection pump and cycle the key from the off to run position (you might need help - don't go as far as the 'start' position). You should hear and feel the rack 'click' as the solenoid picks up the plunger. I hope it is only cold related, and your problem goes away with the cold.

/ Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not restart after stating with motor racing. #5  
If you had a heat gun or your wifes hair dryer put it to the fuel lines for a bit as well as the injector pump to warm them up enough to thaw them.

/ Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not restart after stating with motor racing. #6  
Our Kubota 2005 RTV900 suddenly will not start.

This occurred during a sudden cold spell where temps dropped way below 0 deg F.

The RTV 900 started and ran ok twice during this 4 day cold snap. Battery is strong.

I just went out to use it again. The outside temperature was up to 12 F.

I energized the Glow Plug, then waited 20 seconds and it fired right up , but was racing at full throttle and blowing grew particulate smoke.

I pumped the throttle, thinking it was stuck, no change it continued to race.

I shut the motor down.

I tried to restart, NO GO. It just cranks, not even a sputter.

I cranked the starter to raise the bed, but could not see anything obviously wrong, It was too dark and cold so I figure maybe someone on the forum had this experience and could give me a place to start?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I had the same problem with my RTV900. Had the dealer pick it up twice. changed both cables - throttle and a longer one (can't remember what its' called). Still same problem. However, blew out fuel line and cleaned out fule tank, had dirt, and new installed new fuel filter. Here is what the problem was............water droplets in the injector pump-even though it is lubed by the engine oil. Cleaned it out/wiped it out...........still will change the oil when I get it back. It was super cold here in PA and never had that problem. RTV is 10yrs old. So we'll see if the problem was resolved. Would bet it was..........because the droplets of moisture would freeze in the pump. Guess it comes from not running it long enough. HOT/COLD EXCHANGE.

R/Bruce............