RTV 1140 Rear drive issue

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #1  

FamilyFarm

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740HST, Kubota RTV 1140 Camo
2009 RTV 1140 w/400+ hours. No power getting to rear wheels in 2WD or 4WD. When in 4WD power gets to front wheels only. I'm guessing a hydraulic valve problem of some kind. Hoping to figure it out myself.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Terry

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #2  
can we assume you have followed the linkage from shifter to transmission case and it is OK?

Was failure sudden or gradual?

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #3  
Is the 1140 using the same engine as the 100? I think it does. I'll take a look at my 1100 and see what I think it may be.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue
linkage is good. failure was sudden.
Terry

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #5  
drat! WIll noodle on it. Also assume hydraulic fluid is full and failure occurred during normal work...that is not while pulling an almost immovable object, etc.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #6  
You say the machine will move when in 4wd but not in 2wd, right.

I'm thinking the engine drives the pump, the pump drives the hydraulic motor, the output from the hydraulic pump drives the transmission.

The transmission has 4 gear sets for 1,2,3,R, then the output for it goes to the rear wheels. Engaging 4wd also sends power to the front end.
Seems like the shaft going to the rear drive could be broken. Or the differential is broken as it will direct power to the left or right wheel that has the least resistance so if one side was busted somehow, no power to the other side.

So in summing up, power from the transmission powers the front and back differentials. I suspect a break in the rear differential othewise if the pump was bad both 2wd and 4wd would not work.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #7  
Perhaps this will help.

If the 1140 works in all the gears, Low Medium High Reverse, in 4wd then the trany should be okay because power is going from the engine through the HST through the trany and all it's gears and then on to the front diff.

So the problem should be from the trany to the rear wheels, which means the rear diff or a broken axle. Because if one axle is broken you lose drive in both rear wheels and if the diff is broken inside same result.

Jack rear of RTV up and check if you can manually turn one rear wheel easier than the other or if while turning on the other should rotate in the reverse direction.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• RTV1100 Transmission.jpg
    RTV1100 Transmission.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 2,465
   / RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #8  
On my RTV900 did the same thing. I found the splines inside the wheel hub were stripped out. The axle was turning inside the hub but it would pull in 4wd.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #9  
I'm with you Timm250. That is most likely what happened here. I was close but forgot about the spline issue.

Good call.

Tightening torque was 110 ft/lbs on that big slotted nut and that was upgraded to 140 ft/lbs. As far as I know that is only on the rears.

/ RTV 1140 Rear drive issue #10  
When mine starting slipping the nut on my rear axle was not even touching the lock washer from the factory. I could spin the washer by hand.