John deere gator or kubota Rtv

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #21  
I run my RTV900 all over the yard, wet or dry and it doesn't make any more marks than my ZTR lawnmower. Downhill braking by the transmission with a load is the biggest advantage with the RTV. Gator owners say they have engine braking if they apply throttle. I guess to me that is like going downhill and if I want to slow down I give it the gas, I don't think so. I read a post on TBN a while back where someone was pulling a trailer with firewood with their Mule (maybe other UTV) but it was belt drive and the load got away, brakes wouldn't hold and ended up in a pile of wreckage at the bottom of the hill. They switched to Kubotas and solved that problem. I can stop mine on a pretty steep slope, leave it in gear with the engine running and it will set there, it may creep a foot or so on a really steep hill but it is very, very slow. The only time I set the brake is if I kill the engine or if I will be parked for quite a while. Just stopping to open a gate, feed the chickens or gather the eggs, I just take my foot off the pedal and it stops and stays put. Try that with a gator, or better hook on to a heavy trailer and go down hill and see what kind of hold back you get from engine and transmission.

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #22  
Thank you for all the input. With all that has been said I have some looking in to both still. But the weight of the Kubota it sounds like a very heavy for turf as all my work is going over lawns that have steep slopes and hills. With this much weight and mulch or rock sounds like it would rut or slip. I live in great smoke mountains of North Carolina. A mouth ago we used a JD gator 620i to do a mulch job it was a life saver. Did 20 yards in 5 hours if we did it by hand would have taken two days. Time and money. DIXIEDOG thanks for your in put did I see a video of your gator with a boss plow pushing snow on here some where? Did you have to beef up the frame any?

My plow in an American Eagle v-plow, the Boss is awesome but the price is pretty high and I'm still on the fence about paying that much for a plow. The frame of a 825i doesn't need any beefing up of the frame, it's a stout unit that can take a beating. The skid plates are also all metal so they help stiffen the package up.....I used the 825i I bought pretty hard and it keeps taking it and begging for more. I bought the RTV 500 first and it didn't do well enough offroad to keep me happy as I started doing more with it, I traded it in for the Gator 825i and am very happy I did. It has tons more power, better offroad capability and in general it is just a better thought out machine ergonomics, controls, and features are all better. The only time I missed my RTV 500 was when I first started loading the Gator on the trailer, the cvt took a couple miles to get used to.

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #23  
If you think you may ever find yourself working your utv like a tractor, the rtv is the best machine. I can hook up to a full hay wagon and manuver it a few inches away from a hay elevator with no drama barely above idle. I have used the rtv to stretch fences too. The hydro works great if you are working out on the trail getting on and off the unit. Even on hills, the rtv stays put just by letting off the throttle peddle. If you want to go fast...buy something else, but, nothing goes slow as good as the rtv.

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #24  
I have an RTV 1100, I am thinking of buying a self powered finish mower to tow behind the RTV so I can mow lawns in the AC. What do you guys think? Looking at Kunz or Caroni.

HS

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #25  
That is a cool looking cab on that JD. All that glass is nice to look out of but I bet it's hot in the sun. What is one of them doors to replace I wonder. The glass windshield on my rtv was not cheap. I would have to agree that the rtv is less fun but more work. I think they are both great machines, the person MUST drive BOTH to get the right one for themselves. They each have their own style to match the type of work and person. I'm a person that doesn't like to be closed in so I just have a top and windshield. I haul firewood, dirt, rocks, and manure so having the power dump is a must. I love the power steering too.
The doors are $2500 and they pop right off for use in the summer. The front windshield is also hinged and has little hydrualic assists to keep it open, it opens from the bottom. The rear window also cracks open for more air. All the glass is safety rated just like there tractors.

The cost of a Deere like mine with power steering, deluxe cab, front fender guards is about $17,500 you could add accessories and easily get it up over 25,000 (lighting, plow, heater hydraulics etc). I think that it probably doesn't need a heater in most of the US climates except Alaska. The heat from the radiator up front heats it up nicely with windows closed up. It does at times fog up inside if there is two people riding. I rode it a lot with the front window open, it's a little distorted but is fun sometime to have the air in your face.

When I was looking for a utv I was not looking for pure work, we enjoy long rides sometimes. Besides, work is what the tractor is for. The Gator has a 1500# towing cap and a 1000# dump bed..... Plus it can absorb a curb at 30mph almost as good as my old polaris RZR-s......and that thing has all kinds of travel in the suspension.

The adjustable independent rear suspension on the Gator is the biggest difference between the Kubota and the Deere. The Kubota while being more stout for hauling a heavy load gives up a smooth ride.

The engine is a 3cyl dohc 12 valve inline, and has a funny sound. folks that have been in the military tell me it's sounds exactly like the Taxi cabs they rode in foreign country's. That is because the engines are car engines used in little cars. John Deere gets these little Chinese engines and adapts them. They are put through some very rigorous testing.

So far the only thing I don't like about the Gator is how difficult it is to remove the oil filter. You need to remove undercage and then you need an oil filter socket with an extension. It was maddening on my first attempt. The best thing about it so far compared to my RZR is the powe steering and the huge bed.

So, like has been said, the Gator 825i is a crossover vehicle and in a new market that I believe will expand rapidly.

The people that I let drive it that are mostly razor riders say its like a cross between a helicopter and a motor home. :laughing:

Here is a photo of it with the windshield and the suicide door open and the bed in dump position.

IMG_6870.jpg

Last edited:
   / John deere gator or kubota Rtv #26  
Can,t comment on the JD gator but I do own a 2006 RTV 900 and will say it,s a true heavy duty work horse.coobie.

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv
Thank you all for the info! Did a test drive of the 825i today for about 30 on some old loggen trails and a tree farm. in the snow and mud. put it throw some the gears and 2wd to 4wd really liked. Still have to go look at the RTV 900.

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #28  
I purchased a new RTV900 about one year ago, now have 139 hours on it. I love the machine, but yesterday had a friend stop in with his new 2013 Ranger 900XP w/cab, heater, etc. Although I didn't want to drive his machine, he insisted, so I did. Man, could not believe the fun factor, acceleration, and sophistication of that Ranger. I was impressed, however, part of that was the fact that he had a heated cab with heater.

I inspected the Ranger pretty well, and a beautiful machine. However, looking at the undercarriage, etc, it didn't seem anywhere near as ruggedly built as the RTV900. I'm 70 years old, but if I were 20 years younger, then would probably go with the Ranger 900XP.

I do love the transmission on the RTV, but dislike the lack of acceleration and speed. But I do consider the RTV a real tank (ruggedly built) compared to the Deere. With the RTV, I was seeking quality, and think I have it!!!
2012 RTV900XT Camo
2006 ZD28 Zero Turn
2012 L4600 w/FEL
2010 Gold Wing/ABS

Democrats-Spreading your wealth since 1932

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #29  
I've had three Gators, currently an '11 855D. As much as I like the Gator, if I was using a UTV for strictly heavy work I think I would consider the Kubota. The Gator has done everything I need it to do, excellent suspension and good load carrying capacity but I think the trans would be the weak link for constant heavy hauling. If I need to pull something heavy I use my tractor but the Gator can pull my 5x8 trailer loaded with my Miller Trailblazer welder and equipment around the pasture with no problems. If I had to do it constantly I'd consider something heavier duty like the Kubota. I do use my Gator several times a day for checking the cows and doing odd jobs, couldn't be without it.

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #30  
The doors are $2500 and they pop right off for use in the summer. The front windshield is also hinged and has little hydrualic assists to keep it open, it opens from the bottom. The rear window also cracks open for more air. All the glass is safety rated just like there tractors.

The cost of a Deere like mine with power steering, deluxe cab, front fender guards is about $17,500 you could add accessories and easily get it up over 25,000 (lighting, plow, heater hydraulics etc). I think that it probably doesn't need a heater in most of the US climates except Alaska. The heat from the radiator up front heats it up nicely with windows closed up. It does at times fog up inside if there is two people riding. I rode it a lot with the front window open, it's a little distorted but is fun sometime to have the air in your face.

When I was looking for a utv I was not looking for pure work, we enjoy long rides sometimes. Besides, work is what the tractor is for. The Gator has a 1500# towing cap and a 1000# dump bed..... Plus it can absorb a curb at 30mph almost as good as my old polaris RZR-s......and that thing has all kinds of travel in the suspension.

The adjustable independent rear suspension on the Gator is the biggest difference between the Kubota and the Deere. The Kubota while being more stout for hauling a heavy load gives up a smooth ride.

The engine is a 3cyl dohc 12 valve inline, and has a funny sound. folks that have been in the military tell me it's sounds exactly like the Taxi cabs they rode in foreign country's. That is because the engines are car engines used in little cars. John Deere gets these little Chinese engines and adapts them. They are put through some very rigorous testing.

So far the only thing I don't like about the Gator is how difficult it is to remove the oil filter. You need to remove undercage and then you need an oil filter socket with an extension. It was maddening on my first attempt. The best thing about it so far compared to my RZR is the powe steering and the huge bed.

So, like has been said, the Gator 825i is a crossover vehicle and in a new market that I believe will expand rapidly.

The people that I let drive it that are mostly razor riders say its like a cross between a helicopter and a motor home. :laughing:

Here is a photo of it with the windshield and the suicide door open and the bed in dump position.

View attachment 306852

Show me where the Japanese Yanmar engine is Chinese.