Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: John deere gator or kubota Rtv

Quote Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
    I don't think anyone on this forum could dispute the brute work qualities of the RTV. But if you're looking for something that is truly a "utility" vehicle, get the 825i. And spend the extra money and find one with the Big Horn package. I got mine used on Craigslist for a heckuva deal!
    Here's a load of wood I hauled yesterday. Drove it straight up a pretty steep incline with power to spare in spades.
    I agree that the 825i is quite the machine (we demoed a 625i before we got the RTV500), but that's not much wood in the back . This is a a kubota sized load of wood (would have put another row on the tailgate, but it would have hit the splitter) :
    -imag0059-custom-jpg

And a decent sized trailer (which requires a bigger Kubota to pull uphill when full of wood):
    -imag0054-custom-jpg

Yes, we have to slow down with the RTV500 when going up hills, but for our small (sub 40 acre) farm, it is plenty and the grandkids can drive it without their grandparents worrying if they will be doing 55 across the back pasture where we cant see them.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i

Yeah, yeah, yeah... if I had more wood laying around, I woulda loaded the Gator up more!

The difference for me is that it would take me 1/4 of the time to get to where I am going with that load of wood than it would in your little kubota.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2012 L4600

I'm 71 years old, and bought a new 2012 RTV900 13 months ago. I love this thing, and yes, it is a workhorse. However, a few days ago, I was forced into driving a new Ranger 900 w/heated cab. Man, was I impressed, since it had speed, acceleration, heated cab, etc. The fun factor is lacking on this RTV, so after that test ride, I would have to consider the Ranger 900 or the John Deere if I had it to do over again. The RTV is for older guys like me, or maybe people not concerned with the fun factor.
    2012 RTV900XT Camo
    2006 ZD28 Zero Turn
    2012 L4600 w/FEL
    2010 Gold Wing/ABS

Democrats-Spreading your wealth since 1932

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Yeah, yeah, yeah... if I had more wood laying around, I woulda loaded the Gator up more!
    The difference for me is that it would take me 1/4 of the time to get to where I am going with that load of wood than it would in your little kubota.
    90% of the time is spent cutting, splitting, stacking, unloading and re-stacking, so you wouldn't gain much time. Also, my inlaws dont need a stepladder to get into the RTV like they did with the 625i we demoed . The cab and bed floors on that were the same height as the ones in our 4x4 pickup .

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Tractor
    Deere 5075E MFWD OOS w/PR, 540E; Gator 825i

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Also, my inlaws dont need a stepladder to get into the RTV like they did with the 625i we demoed . The cab and bed floors on that were the same height as the ones in our 4x4 pickup .

Aaron Z
    12"? Many (such as I) would view the added ground clearance as a plus.

Takes all kinds (of UTVs) to make the world go 'round. I just happen to think the Gator makes a larger % of the world go 'round.

Super Star Member
    Tractor

12"? Many (such as I) would view the added ground clearance as a plus.
    The 625I we demoed was about 18" from the ground to the cab deck (just below my kneecap). I agree that, to a certain extent more ground clearance is better, but in our case, my inlaws have some mobility issues (knee, hip and spinal problems make getting in and out of tall vehicles onto the ground dangerous), so easy entry/exit was high on the list of priorities.
    We don't go mudding and most of our work is in places accessible to a golf cart, so we dont need much ground clearance.
    This is replacing a Toro Workman which had an even lower bed and that was great except in the snow/mud traction and noise departments.
    Also, I can (while standing on the ground) stack big pieces of wood higher on the bed of the RTV than I could have on the Gator as the bed starts from a lower height .

Takes all kinds (of UTVs) to make the world go 'round. I just happen to think the Gator makes a larger % of the world go 'round.
    They are great machines, just not what we needed and not the be-all-end-all in every case.

Aaron Z

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by houstonscott View Post
    I wouldn't buy a machine made in China or with a Chinese engine.

HS.
    Yet you bought a kubota RTV made in China

Kubota Begins Tractor Manufacture in China | DrivelineNEWS.com

Tractor
    Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc

I think you will find all of those will stay in China.

HS

Tractor
    2012 Kubota RTV900 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by houstonscott View Post
    I think you will find all of those will stay in China.
    Yes, and you'll see similar announcements about other brands. BMW recently announced they would build cars in China, so that was the headline, but the fact is, they are building cars in China for China, because the Chinese have strict import restrictions (ironic, no?). They also don't allow a foreign company to open a plant in China, the foreign company must partner with a Chinese company - that makes it easier for the Chinese to steal the design.

Maybe some day the Chinese-built products will get exported to the US, but that will only be after "Chinese" stops being a four-letter word. Can you imagine today's BMW or kubota buyer accepting a BMW or Kubota made in China?
    Four 2012 RTV900s, towing 2000LB-5000LB, 12 hours per day, every day, on pavement.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by buickanddeere View Post
    Show me where the Japanese Yanmar engine is Chinese.
    The 825 is a gasoline engine...it's the 855D with the Yanmar diesel.
    I have no idea where the 825 engine is built....but I thought it was India.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast