Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV?

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV? #171  
Hey y'all! New to the forum.

Welcome to the forum!

My wife and I live on 36 acres and are beginning to do permaculture with bees and chickens as well as using selectively harvested trees for lumber and woodworking. We're looking for a side-by-side for farm duty and general hauling stuff around, maybe skidding a few logs out of the woods and bottom land, maybe pulling a few UTV-style implements. What do you think? Will the Bulldog handle it? We just don't have the money to pay for a big name and anyway we're not going to be tearing through the woods at Mach 5 with our butts on fire. Thanks for any advice and info.

I think the answer to that question will depend on what you are expecting it to do for you. How much weight do you think you'll need to haul in it? Only a few bags of mulch and some tools or 800 lbs of materials like concrete or rock? What is your terrain like? Mostly level with mild hills? Hilly and rocky? What's it like when it rains? How big of logs do you think you'll be skidding?

Don't know if Tractor Supply stores are common in your area but they sell the Massimo UTVs which are less expensive than the big names but pretty nicely equipped.

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV? #172  
Hey y'all! New to the forum. The reason I'm here at all is I was researching the Bulldog and came across this thread. VERY informative and actually quite entertaining and a bit gripping when I read about MotorSeven going off the side of the hill and sustaining some nasty injuries. Firstly, how are you MotorSeven? I hope your rib and clavicle have healed well and you're back in fighting form. And how is the Bulldog? I think it's a bit over two years since you bought it? and especially since it rolled? My wife and I live on 36 acres and are beginning to do permaculture with bees and chickens as well as using selectively harvested trees for lumber and woodworking. We're looking for a side-by-side for farm duty and general hauling stuff around, maybe skidding a few logs out of the woods and bottom land, maybe pulling a few UTV-style implements. What do you think? Will the Bulldog handle it? We just don't have the money to pay for a big name and anyway we're not going to be tearing through the woods at Mach 5 with our butts on fire. Thanks for any advice and info.

Full disclosure before I add my response - I work for American Sportworks who manufactures the UTVs. So, obviously I have a "horse in the race"...

However, the type of jobs and tasks you are describing are exactly what we design and build the Bulldog UTV for. We envision people just like yourself as our target audience. The Bulldog is able to haul approximately 450 pounds and tow approximately 1,100 pounds.

We make this unit as an alternative for those who are more interested in getting jobs done than "tearing through the woods at Mach 5 with our butts on fire..."

Hope that helps. Feel free to reach out if there is any specific I can answer!

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV? #173  
Welcome to the forum!

I think the answer to that question will depend on what you are expecting it to do for you. How much weight do you think you'll need to haul in it? Only a few bags of mulch and some tools or 800 lbs of materials like concrete or rock? What is your terrain like? Mostly level with mild hills? Hilly and rocky? What's it like when it rains? How big of logs do you think you'll be skidding?

Don't know if Tractor Supply stores are common in your area but they sell the Massimo UTVs which are less expensive than the big names but pretty nicely equipped.
Stay away from Massimo,my nephew works at a dealer that carries them;lots of problems.

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV? #174  
Full disclosure before I add my response - I work for American Sportworks who manufactures the UTVs. So, obviously I have a "horse in the race"...

However, the type of jobs and tasks you are describing are exactly what we design and build the Bulldog UTV for. We envision people just like yourself as our target audience. The Bulldog is able to haul approximately 450 pounds and tow approximately 1,100 pounds. <snip>

I can't find any of the Bulldog UTVs on the Home Depot site except for the little 4x2 unit. Is Home Depot still selling them?

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV? #175  
Stay away from Massimo,my nephew works at a dealer that carries them;lots of problems.

Interesting. Hadn't heard anything about them good or bad before. Just see them at TSC all the time. Reviews on them on the TSC site

Certainly the 5-year warranty on the Subaru engine in the Bulldog is a plus.

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV? #176  
I can't find any of the Bulldog UTVs on the Home Depot site except for the little 4x2 unit. Is Home Depot still selling them?

Yes, Home Depot does sell them. And, sometimes they are a bit hard to find on their site. Try searching for "American Sportworks". For some reason this turns up the UTV's better. Strange, I know.

There's a few options for you:

Home Depot Bulldog:
American SportWorks 4 x 2 UTV BD31 BullDog 3 Utility Vehicle-BD31 - The Home Depot

Another poster mentioned Tractor Supply. We sell the Trail Wagon at Tractor Supply. It has a larger, Honda engine, locking differential, underseat storage, and a windshield (which all account for the higher price at Tractor Supply):

American Sportworks Trail Wagon TW4 4x2 Utility Vehicle, 39cc

Finally, we'd be happy to help you find a local dealer as well. You can learn more about our LandMaster line on our site (again - basically same product) and find a local dealer:
UTV - Landmaster by American Sportworks

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV? #177  
I just picked up a used American Sportsworks TW400 that I purchased from my neighbor. I plan to drive it on logging trails on my 104 acre tree farm. I'll post a review on how well it holds up. I was initially concerned about how reliable it would be in these conditions but I pm'd ehdesign and he said it should be fine for this type of trial riding. My neighbor had a few problems with the transmission and throttle cables wearing out on this unit but this was apparently a fluke. These have been replaced and everything seems to work fine now.
I plan to use this UTV to haul and tow with with so I'll post back how it does. My main concern was how it handles treading water puddles as some of my trails get flooded after a heavy rain. It was no problem driving through this with my old Yamaha Kodiak ATV so we will see how the TW400 holds up in these types of conditions. The TW400 I have has the 390cc Honda GX engine in it. It takes a little getting used to the no shift clutch type transmission (almost like a go kart) but I am starting to get used to it. This UTV is no speed demon and takes a little while to get up to speed but has a surprising amount of torque. I don't plan on driving around on my logging trails going 50mph anyway so I am fine with it.

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV? #178  
Again - to be clear, I'm employed here American SportWorks.

But, I'm excited to see what you think. Be sure to let me know!

~Thanks.

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV? #179  
Rick,
It's been awhile since your rollover. How are you doing?
hugs, Brandi

/ Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV?
I'm fine, the machine only needed a roof and a windshield after laying on it's side for a couple of weeks in sub zero weather. I have one complaint...the gusset on the A-arm rubs on the CV boot and has sliced it in two. Other than that, the Bulldog has been dead nuts reliable. I installed about 5,000' of High tensile fence and used the 'dog to carry everything, including a custom welded bracket on the bed to hold the rolls of wire and un-furl them as I drove.

Overall, it's a tough machine built to do grunt work. It's not a speed demon, it does not have a kic *** suspension, but it has torque and will climb very steep hills(we have lots), so for the money I am happy. They now have a new upgraded model out which looks much better and more....modern. If anyone has one, feel free to chime-in.