Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Default Re: Home Depot Bulldog 700 4x4 UTV?

Quote Originally Posted by megaboz View Post
    Well, my first thing I would check is the availability of parts. I was looking at a 4 wheeler that Cabelas was selling after doing some research, I figured it out to be some off brand (probably nothing wrong with it) but couldn't find any sites online to find parts. So if you were to break something like a wheel or an axle, getting parts could be painful, or you might be subjected to a single high priced source. It might also be hard to find a local dealer that will even work on it or even to source parts like air filters or oil filters.
    This is even a problem for honda's. I have an older 300trx which was one of the most popular lines they ever made. A solid atv and will run great. other than a few things aftermarket like filters and such almost every thing is a dealer item. Due to age many things are not sold anymore, those that are can be had on WWW sites but you still pay a steep price for them (at least they are there). But the good thing is that because it was so popular there are used parts at junk yards or on places like ebay. 4wheelers just dont have aftermarket parts like cars do. Well tractors dont really either unless its old iron and popular like the old deeres or fords or such.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonfor View Post

This is even a problem for honda's. I have an older 300trx which was one of the most popular lines they ever made. A solid atv and will run great. other than a few things aftermarket like filters and such almost every thing is a dealer item. Due to age many things are not sold anymore, those that are can be had on WWW sites but you still pay a steep price for them (at least they are there). But the good thing is that because it was so popular there are used parts at junk yards or on places like ebay. 4wheelers just dont have aftermarket parts like cars do. Well tractors dont really either unless its old iron and popular like the old deeres or fords or such.
    I guess I am glad I have an Eiger. I can still find parts online for it pretty easily. But I do have a Honda too. Maybe time to trade it in.
    Brian

2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

No im not saying you cant find them. But its certain parts. Its the same in the automotive industry, after so many years the dealer stops carrying stuff.

Like on my 89 trx. I cant buy the plastic on it most likely or the racks from honda, but why would i want that stuff really? That is better purchased used anyway. I can get an after market carb and probably engine rebuild kit, but if i want other things you need to get the honda stuff. All the main things are readily available.

As for vehicles i was looking for brake lines for my 1990 ford ranger, nothing, not even order them, i had to custom bend them. NOt a big deal but there are other things like that, but luckily the after market on vehicles is so large due to the volume there made in that there is a tremendous aftermarket for parts even 30 years out on most stuff.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT 425

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    I'm still kicking it around and I have looked at quite a few used Rangers....none under $7500. One thing I can say about the WWW, if someone has a a problem with a product they seem to get on there and bark really loud. I'll keep digging & report any interesting info here. I appreciate the responses.
    You may want to look for used Yamaha Rhinos. They're very reliable, and parts are readily available. IMO, they're second only to Hondas in long-term reliability and build quality. This is a very dated design, as Yamaha who defined the UTV market was the target of numerous lawsuits, which they've now handled and won. They'll be introducing new models to compete with Polaris and CanAm machines soon... Many recreational riders, impatient with the delays, have switched to Polaris RZRs especially. They're a lot of good used Rhinos out there at affordable prices, which will do a combination of work and play.

And, living in TN, should you get the Rhino 450 you should be able to register it as a "medium speed vehicle" and ride it on state/local roads with <40 MPH speed limits. That may be a plus, depending on your circumstances... you can't do that with the machines governed to 25MPH, since they are categorized as slow moving vehicles like a farm tractor. Similarly, you can't readily do it with the faster, higher performance machines like the Rangers or RZRs -- they're too fast, unless you "fudge" on your declarations when you apply, and no one catches you doing it...
    Power Trac PT-425 w/numerous attachments
    Allis-Chalmers B-210 w/several attachments
    Gravely 5260 walk-behind w/two attachments
    Yamaha Rhino 450 UTV w/numerous mods
    More pictures & info about my garden tractors

I got my Honda Big Red from a dealer for not much more than that. It was a demo and last years model. I was going to get an ATV but really wanted a side by side (just didn't like the prices). Around here there wasn't much used that wasn't rode hard or priced like new.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Kent, I think all Rino's are two seaters? I need a bench seat since my wife will use it to show property(she's a Realtor). We don't have to register to ride the roads here, the SO & Troopers don't mind as long as you are behaving yourself. 25mph might be a deal breaker for me though, but I have not driven one yet to see if I feel like I'm in slow mo.

KubotaToy, Thanks for the info, that is good to know it's holding up well. My Kodiak did not like skidding logs at all, so I gave up and started carrying them out on my shoulder. Even though they are Cedar, an 8' 10" log is heaaavy. I wonder why all UTV's don't have engine braking? My neighbors Ranger does not have it and the thing is not fun on these steep ridges of E. TN.....$10K & no engine braking is kind of silly.

JohnThomas, thanks, but no that is too rich form me...I'm down in the $6500 range.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Mega, American Sportworks builds/assembles them in Roseland, Louisiana. They use mixture of parts from all over the globe and it looks like parts are not a problem. If these were shipped assembled from China parts availability would be a different story.

Here is their website:
    American SportWorks®
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Well, my HD got one in so I took it for a test drive. I don't think the 25mph will be an issue as it seemed fast enough. The only negative was the poly bed is single wall, not double like on the Rangers. HD also jacked up the price for the "season" to $6,875. So my wife and I were talking it over while driving home, and I saw this for sale at a local RV business:

No, it's not a UTV replacement, but last year I sold my '01 Beartracker to my neighbor because I wanted another 4x4. Turns out, this is also a '01 and almost looks showroom new....even the tires are original. So the Big Bear came home to join the Kodiak

2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Pretty remarkable shape for a '01.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast