4 seat switch to 2 seat with larger bed option

/ 4 seat switch to 2 seat with larger bed option #1  

F3506

Silver Member
Tractor
Blue ones
I'm in the market for a UTV. I'd really prefer to have a larger bed than most of them seem to come with now. Looks as if many would just hold 2 bags of trash before they got full. I've seen Kubota and Kawasaki have a version where the 4 seat model has a rear seat that can fold up and the bed then extends forward so it's a larger bed. A larger bed seems much more useful, and the idea of being able to turn it into a 4 seater sounds good too. Are there any other brands out there that have this type of option?

I understand the advantage of a diesel like the Kubota offers, but I'd also like to be able to take short, quick trips. A diesel does better once it's warmed up, so the gas motor gets the advantage for short trips or constant on and off cycles. That has me looking at the Kawasaki Mule unless there's a better alternative.

Any reason not to get a mule, or anything to be worried about?

Also, where's a good place to get accessories and add-ons for a UTV once I get one?

/ 4 seat switch to 2 seat with larger bed option #2  
I have not used a kubota, but I do have a 4010 mule trans and used no my game preserve for 3 1/2
years I have 325 hours on it so far so good. When I shopped I needed a crew cab to take hunters
around so that was my primary need and I do run around the farm with it. But also have an ATV
and just sold my gator would like to replace that one with cab and maybe diesel but so far so good
with the mule. My mule has DFI and starts good in 10 below weather I love that as we are out every
weekend no matter how cold for game preserve. n

/ 4 seat switch to 2 seat with larger bed option
Thanks for the feedback. I've been leaning toward the mule. I talked to someone with a kubota and his complaint was the diesel was very noisy.

And I'm not too worried about starting in 10 below. If it ever gets that cold down here I doubt I'll go outside, much less want to drive the mule anywhere.

/ 4 seat switch to 2 seat with larger bed option #4  
have a RTV, LOVE it. I added a rack over the hood and big cargo carrier in front 2" insert for extra carry ability. Starts and runs instantly. Wife loves power steering and easy in/out. I leave both bench seats open. Makes work platform or carry extra people, most handy. Do not hold back on add on lights, racks, dash pockets, etc.

HST transmission behaves much differently than Mule I drove a few weeks ago. RTV gives complete control when going downhill, just let off the fuel to slow. Mule freewheels down slope without braking effort. RTV is very smooth moving when applying fuel from stop. MULE was jerky and had a noisy metal sound when transmission engaged. I placed insulation behind rear seat and cargo bed and it cuts noise down. Son and I both thought Mule was equally noisy, but didn't have DB meter to test. Mule radiator in front, heat felt in front seat. RTV radiator under back seat, heat not felt.

New MULE models may have changed, I dunno. MULE has higher top speed, but 25mph is sufficient, I need a work machine, not a race vehicle

Test drive and price both with features you want..recommend windshield. I found a large price difference when shopping.

/ 4 seat switch to 2 seat with larger bed option #5  
I have the RTV 900 and I don't find it any noisier than any other UTV. I do like the transmission braking. Where I am, I have some steep hills and that is a good benefit. I can stop on a hill and it stays put with maybe just a bit of downhill creep without using the hand brake.
I also like the true hydraulic system that it has versus some electric over hydraulic pump that lasts about 5 times then burns up. I can dump the full bed of dirt or rocks with just an idle on my RTV. The diesel engine is also very efficient plus never have to worry about stale fuel with diesel it doesn't go bad like todays gasoline

/ 4 seat switch to 2 seat with larger bed option #6  
I have had the TransMule 4010 for a few years now. It is a 2009 model with the electric power steering and fuel injected engine. I bought it for our farm as a sort of luxury thing and for family time.....but wow, has it become a necessity on the farm since. Since its purchase I have put 425 hrs on it. I couldn't run the farm without this handy machine. The wife and I use it daily.

When i was looking for a farm machine, i wanted the 4 seat option for having friends/family over for doing the tour of the farm. We can comfortably take 4 adults and a kid or two for a ride. Everyone can be outfitted with refreshments and generally loves the tour.

After searching the gas vs diesel engine options, i went with gas. Gas seemed quieter to me for the hunting mode the Mule must take on every fall. BUT what was more convincing was the fact that the D engines are more expensive repair bills. I also know the Kawasaki engine is made by the millions for many other machines and should have parts out there for decades to come.

I literally carry everything i need in that mule from fencing tools, axe, tree pruners, shovel, firearms, first aid kit, rope, toilet paper, weed spray, radio, chainsaw, chainsaw tools, water, snacks, and a bunch of hunting stuff. When i leave the house, I can stay out doing something for hours without coming back to the shop for supplies. I could never do that with an ATV without a trailer or something.

The only real repair i had was to replace the U-joints in the rear drives as they wore out. The cost wasn't much for the actual parts, but the actual removal of the rear axle was a pain! I did it myself with the help of the shop manual bought off eBay. I ended up making a tool to pull the brake drums like the factory tool shown in the manual. It did take time and i did have to make special tools, but now all that is done and I can do it again in record time now. I plan on buying another anyway and now have tools to service the fleet......that's what i keep telling myself anyway.:D

Some may complain they are slow.....that's ok with me. I have young kids that do not need to be wrapped around a tree from going to fast....and besides, life seems to fly by too fast anyway, slow down and enjoy the ride a bit more!!

Price? Im a bit spoiled when it comes to that topic as i bought mine used with 70 hrs on it. Only had to dish out 7K for it. I'm not a bells and whistled kind of guy and our Mule is used for the farm to the max.....so buying another at full price doesn't bother me as we would use it. I cant say how other makers of utv's would compare as i haven't bought any others. If i would have found a Kubota for the same price as our Mule I'd probably have all the same stuff to say about it.

The long boxes of any of these machines is VERY nice to have....whats the saying?....its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it????

/ 4 seat switch to 2 seat with larger bed option #7  
I'm working on my 3rd year with my RTV1140. I bought it so my Grands would spend time with me but I use it pretty often and even let my Brother next door use it. My Grandson is 8 now and he has been driving it since I bought it. He's always willing to frive it for me.:D
With 2 people the double searts or big bed can be changed in under a minute. It takes one person almost 2 minutes going around it to release and lock hooks and catches.
Sips fuel, starts instantly with slight glow plug warming and dumps effortlessly. Is fairly slow and very stable. Press pedal and it goes, release pedal and it stops. Looked at a couple of other brands and they felt light weight compared to the industrial feel of the Kubota and the other brands seemed louder to me. My neighbor saw mine and went and bought himself a RTV900 which now has 50 hors on it but he never uses it. He has a small lot and he told me he's take $9500 for it. His has never been in the rain, he keeps it in one of his garages.

/ 4 seat switch to 2 seat with larger bed option
Thanks for the input so far. Anyone know how the new engines deal with today's fuel? Do the gas engines work fine with E5 - 10 - 15 -20, etc.? Do the new diesel engines have all the emissions junk on them new tractors do?