Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4 #1  

Happyman

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L 3940
It's time to change the drive belt on my 2007, 3010 Trans 4x4 mule. It feels like it's slipping. I was looking at the shop manual and it says you need to remove the shock absorber in front of the belt cover as well as part of the exhaust system.
Is that really necessary? There has to be an easier way! Any suggestions, or is this just the way it has to be? :confused3:

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4 #2  
No answers huh.. I would sure like to know that also, as I have a 2008 that needs it..

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4
Yea. I was surprised that not a single person responded.

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4 #4  
Not real neighborly of them..:)

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4 #5  
Maybe no one here has done it..Dunno...Try pulling the cover and see what holds you up, that's what I usually do. Sometimes they have you field dress stuff when it isn't entirely necessary. Sometimes it is sadly.

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4 #6  
You don't say whether it's a gas or diesel engine, but I suspect the procedure is about the same.

I have done the clutches and belt on the 4010 Trans Diesel.

Yes, you will want to pull the shock and the exhaust. You will not be able to get the outer and inner covers removed all the way otherwise (well, you might get the outer cover off, but not having the shock in the way makes it a LOT easier to remove). The shock is only two bolts, the exhaust (at least for the diesel) is 4 nuts on the manifold and 3 bolts on the muffler. There should be enough room to maneuver the exhaust to remove it. For the diesel, you do not have to separate the muffler from the pipe.

I pretty much follow the manual, except I remove the bed for easier access.

Even with the shock removed, you will have issues getting the inner cover to clear the upper shock mount. It will come out, but you may have to bend the inner cover slightly.

The belt can be changed without removing the clutches, but removing them makes it easier and you can damage the belt if you don't remove them, so use caution. There are special tools for removing the clutches. One holds the driven (rear) clutch while the center bolt is undone. One holds the drive clutch while the center bolt is undone. And one tool is the drive clutch puller. It looks like a long bolt. The center bolts should be about 70 ft/lb tight, so you should be able to hold the clutch by hand if you have an impact wrench to undo them. A strap wrench would probably work as well. But you might need the drive clutch puller.

4010-2.JPG

The tools are pricey for what they are, but they do make it really nice when working on the clutches and belts. If you're going to keep the Mule for a while and do your own work on it, it may be a good investment.

I have repaired the converters on 3 different 4010's over the last couple of months, the last one also needed a rear main oil seal done. Which of course requires the entire converter to be pulled. In addition to removing everything for doing the clutches, you have to separate the spring from the axle housing and are supposed to drop the spring. It can be done without dropping the spring, but it's tight....

4010-1.JPG

If you do remove the clutches, be sure to torque everything to spec and to use a medium strength thread locker. Also, make sure the rubber seals are in place correctly on the covers. I usually pull them out of the cover and put them on the tongue side first. When you look at how they go together, you'll understand what I'm saying.

Good luck!

NV

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4 #7  
Thanks for the answers on this! I just ordered a Kawasaki drive belt for my Diesel that has about 2800 hours. on it. No idea if the past owner(s) ever changed it, but am thinking it might be a good idea as I am changing all the belts filters, fluids etc..
..E

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4 #8  
Is there a new thread for replacement belt on gas 2009 4010 trans on drive belt

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4 #9  
I realize that it's been a few years since your post but seeing as no one will reply to my own own post I figure I'll just ask you a question.
You said you removed the front cover for the belt drive torque converter on your mule. Can I ask how you dealt with the shock absorbers? I know that that it would need to be undone but I don't know what will happen when I take out the top bolt holding it in place or how to take it off/remove/get it out of the way so if you pass on some advice I would really appreciate it

/ Changing drive belt on Mule 3010 Trans 4x4 #10  
Bringing this back from the dead... the factory service manual for my 2004 3010 diesel doesn't mention a drive clutch puller, which I quickly realized I needed. I have one ordered.

I have a question though, finding people that have worked on the diesel mules seems to be a rare thing...

How in the heck do you pull the driven clutch? I see two holes I could tap and use an H bar puller, but a $550 part made of aluminum doesn't seem to be something I want to put a whole lot of puller on. I'm pulling the engine in my mule (2800 hours/14k miles) to do bearings and such. It's down for a cracked head and I'd prefer to just do some other maintenance while it's down.

Thanks!
Will

and yes, I have the alignment jig for reassembly! ebay - $30 and it's OEM!

You don't say whether it's a gas or diesel engine, but I suspect the procedure is about the same.

I have done the clutches and belt on the 4010 Trans Diesel.

Yes, you will want to pull the shock and the exhaust. You will not be able to get the outer and inner covers removed all the way otherwise (well, you might get the outer cover off, but not having the shock in the way makes it a LOT easier to remove). The shock is only two bolts, the exhaust (at least for the diesel) is 4 nuts on the manifold and 3 bolts on the muffler. There should be enough room to maneuver the exhaust to remove it. For the diesel, you do not have to separate the muffler from the pipe.

I pretty much follow the manual, except I remove the bed for easier access.

NV