RTV 1140 radiator electric fan motor overheats, melts fan, shroud

/ RTV 1140 radiator electric fan motor overheats, melts fan, shroud #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
Smelled something burning/overheated..water temp near red line, ran hose on radiator/engine, noticed fan not running.
Discovered electric fan motor got HOT , melted plastic fan off motor and fan attachments to radiator shroud. :fiery:Subsequent analysis shows the fan to be the only failing cooling system component, all else OK.

300 hrs, 25 months old, out of warranty but that's just too soon for such failure. :yuck: Took parts to dealer where I purchased RTV. Told them I considered it to be manufacturer defective component and requested replacement parts. They agreed there were no signs of abuse. Salesman said he would see what he could do, but didn't sound too hopefipul.

Radiator shroud, fan mount, fan and fan motor are sold only as a complete unit... for $495! :shocked::shocked: Another reason to ask for relief.

Then I brought it all back home, cannabalized an electric fan from a 20 yr dead old Toyota, did some fabrication, installed it into RTV Kubota shroud and took it for a test drive. All works fine. Thermostat turns fan on and off at appropriate temps keeping coolant/engine at proper temp.:cool2:

So, am back on the road and avoided a $500 bill.:thumbsup:

We'll see if Kubota offers anything. Sorry, no photo...just glad to find a fix for free...good to have stuff lying around!

/ RTV 1140 radiator electric fan motor overheats, melts fan, shroud #2  
TJ, that's odd, while researching the Chinese bred UTV's I saw a couple of threads on the same type of problem. I wonder if those cooling fans are Chinese and not Japanese? Can you do a forensic exam on the burned carcass for the Mfg country?

/ RTV 1140 radiator electric fan motor overheats, melts fan, shroud
Motor is much heavier than any of the fan motors from my Toyota Camry vehicles. It is encapsulated totally in a metal case slightly bronze in color. It appears completely water and dust tight. Copper lead wires are either12 or 14 gauge by eye/guess. Workmanship seems to be superb. ONLY markings on it are dot engraved on the back/terminal side of the motor as follows

12V
MITSUBA TOZ14

an arrow pointing right is engraved above the TOZ14

There is no country of origin indicated

hmm..did a search for mitsuba fan and found this...appears identical to my busted one but not clear it is...$51, however!
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsuba-1026AMZ2664-Radiator-Fan-Motor/dp/B001EGZ1YO#productDetails

Last edited:
Dealer called...talked with his supplier...no joy...out of warranty, stuff breaks....I still think it should not have failed at 300 hrs and CERTAINLY should not be $500 from dealer:yuck::grumpy:

Only good news is I discovered the problem before extreme overheat and was able to use a spare fan I already had. So, a pain and a few hrs spent on dealer and my own repairs. Now back in service.

/ RTV 1140 radiator electric fan motor overheats, melts fan, shroud #5  
That sucks. I just had to replace the starter on my 900 with less than 700 hours on it. I looked around online and bought a new one for $86 delivered, I'm sure Kubota would have wanted at least twice that.

Got a 24 month customer satisfaction survey in the mail today. I let them know I was not happy about melted fan/motor, included my phone number as requested. we'll see if I get a call. it covered dealer and equipment, will also be sent to dealer.

my replacement fan, from my Toyota parts vehicle, continues to cool properly.

/ RTV 1140 radiator electric fan motor overheats, melts fan, shroud #7  
I think that's a good call using one from a Toyota.

yep, it's been resting about 5 years and is maybe 20 years old and I still have its brother, so should be good for an RTV lifetime.