Polaris Ranger Crew Stuck in Swamp Two Weeks Now....

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Stuck in Swamp Two Weeks Now.... #1  

sfloggie

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
A guy helping me cut a boundary line (2400') to river stuck my Polaris on "something" while coming out of a large water hole. I think it is a stump top. The rear is under water and the front is 45 degree angle point up on ground as it was coming out of the hole. It will not budge.
That said, it has been stuck for two weeks as we could not reach it with equipment due to heavy rain and me being out of town. Tried to retrieve it this weekend, but too much rain and water. It will be another two weeks as I am out of town again. I will send pictures then.
The rear end with exhaust and other parts (assume engine) is under water and has been for those two weeks and will be more. Does any one know if these parts are sealed, or have had any experience in parts (long term) under water?
My plan is to carry in two eight foot round fence posts with a pulley attached in the middle. Then to attach a cable to these so they do not fall forward or back as we lift the rear with a chain and "come - along". Then to pull the front end with another "come-along" to get it on "dry" land without tearing out the bottom.
By "dry land" I mean a high muddy spot in the swamp. Then I plan to drive it out if it will crank and not hurt the engine.
Bad idea or not as it is in a bad spot? I know pictures are needed and I forgot.
Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
   / Polaris Ranger Crew Stuck in Swamp Two Weeks Now.... #2  
Sounds like a project for a helicopter with straps. Seriously though. If the engine is under water also there probably will be repair bills. Drain all the fluids before anything and replace them with fresh. Pull the spark plug before turning it over. Let us know how you make out... Good luck.

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Stuck in Swamp Two Weeks Now.... #3  
If you have to drive it out (vs towing it out) I would change the engine oil, then pull the spark plugs and turn it over by hand BEFORE you try cranking it over with the starter.
You probably have water in the cylinders and the crankcase and that will flush them out before you bend a rod from having it hydrolocked.

Aaron Z

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Stuck in Swamp Two Weeks Now....
Great..thank you, good advice and will follow. All of us looking at the swamped Polaris were Marine or Army and CH47 came to mind.

Guess it is time to get out the KTAC insurance policy and read it!

Thanks again,

Jim

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Stuck in Swamp Two Weeks Now.... #5  
Was your Ranger snorkeled? I would hope so since it was being run in the swamp. If so it might be okay even if the engine is submerged. The engine is sealed pretty well as is the diff and tranny. A Ranger set up for mudding will go deep without problem. If the water got up to the seat level and you hadn't snorkeled the air intakes then it probably has water in the engine.

Had you relocated all the breather tubes to a higher point? Their default location is okay for depths up to the floorboard but not much more. Most folks put an inline fuel filter on the breather tubes to keep them from pulling in water/dirt.

As others have said, once you get it pulled off the stump, check your oil and gas for water. A complete fluid change wouldn't be out of the question.

pwright,

The area was a property line of 2400' running to the river. It is high (per se')in most spots unless it rains, plus there are some logging ruts. This area is wetland. I have not added anything special as I rarely run it through water and only for a second. This guy got caught and I did not see it until two weeks later.

By then it had rained and was still raining so the water rose to the bed of the body and all have been under water for a week or two (up to the floor boards but with the rear under water.

So once we clear it, I will follow each of your advice as to fluid changes. KTAC said they would cover damage, but I would rather save the use of the insurance until I really have to have it.

My neighbors have Bobcats and Dozers so I am going to ask for help in towing it once I lift it off the stump. I will show pictures just to close the loop as I appreciate the help.

Jim

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Stuck in Swamp Two Weeks Now.... #7  
I wouldn't start it. Tow it out and drain/ clean the motor. Disassemble the rear end and clean/lube all suspension parts. Good luck.

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Stuck in Swamp Two Weeks Now.... #8  
Good luck Jim! Hopefully clean up and fluid change will be all that is needed.

/ Polaris Ranger Crew Stuck in Swamp Two Weeks Now.... #9  
I had a Honda 3 wheeler that was in a storage building when the flood hit here in 1994. It floated upside down for a week or so until the water went down and could get it out. I drained all fluids and cleaned it up and it started right up. I'd definitely change ALL the fluids just to be safe before trying to run it.

Wish this one had floated upside down and then the engine would have been out of the water!

Seriously, glad you were OK and I will definitely drain and clean. My wife now worries about the snakes that are finding it as a god home, but she never like it anyhow! But I will look good for snakes now that I think about it as we have some huge ones this year.

Good day.

Jim