Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue

/ Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue #1  

CentralNC

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35A
We bought a used 2009 4010 Trans last year. It had about 170 hours on it and was in great shape. My wife and kids use it on our place and to drive back and forth to her Mom's. I use it to haul stuff to the garden, haul the trash can out to the road and check the mail. It has been a great UTV!!!

We just had our first problem. The Mule is now having trouble idling and it will sometimes quit running. It surges at idle and seems to be running rough. I can't figure out what it is. A new fuel pump is very expensive ~$500. Injectors are $100 each as well.

I checked the gas tank vent lines (OK). I checked the air filters and intakes (OK). I replaced both spark plugs and checked that they were getting fire (OK). It sounds like the engine is either smothered (no air) or starved of fuel. I can't find any type of valve to check fuel pressure and I don't want to just starting replacing parts.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to diagnose fuel issues? Any similar experiences? I never realized how much we use the Mule until it has been down for a few days. My wife is about to drive me nuts to fix it.

I thought about detaching the fuel line as it exits the tank and where it enters the fuel rail. I could then blow it out with an air compressor. I couldn't find an in-line fuel filter, so I assume that it is in the tank. I would certainly appreciate any thoughts before I break down and haul it to a repair shop.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue #2  
I have a 3010 Trans. Had a similar issue a few years ago. A couple of suggestions:

Sudden onset of this issue might be a fuel quality problem.

Drain the fuel and use non ethanol with some SeaFoam to boot.
Check your fuel tank fill cap (vent), fuel filter (clogging), fuel line in the tank (crimping).

Can you hear the fuel pump turning on and off and running?

You can find the manual for your unit at Kawasaki.com. Just drill down using your year and model.

You can find more reasonable replacements for parts via Amazon or eBay. Just check the seller feedback. I found a replacement for my fuel pump on Amazon for a lot cheaper than Amazon.

/ Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue
Licklog - Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about the problem late last night and I thought it was probably bad gas. I got up this morning and tested the fuel pump. I also pulled the fuel line where it enters the fuel rail. There was plenty of gas flow from the pump to the injectors. I toggled the switch and caught some of the fuel being pumped. It did not smell like good clean gas.

I kept the fuel line pulled and pumped out about a pint of this fuel by toggling the switch to engage the fuel pump. I then added some water remover to the fuel tank. It was now about 1/2 full, so I added a couple of gallons of ethanol-free 93 octane. I toggled the switch a few more times to pump out more fuel and then reconnected the line at the rail.

The engine idled rough for about 30 seconds and then it smoothed out. We have been driving it all day and it runs like a new one. It was definitely some water caught in the fuel. Water is heavier and it was obviously caught around the intake of the fuel pump. My wife is happy ... so life is good.

It is hard to believe how much we rely on that Mule. We have 3 kids and we haul a lot of stuff around our place. The 4010 Trans is perfect for what we want it to do .... carry the family and haul stuff around our 14 acres. I am glad it was such an easy fix. I spent a total of $11 to fix it - $8 for plugs (unnecessary), plus $3 for the water remover. I guess I should count the 2 gallons of ethanol-free fuel as well.

I think I am going to use the higher octane in the future, because our local store has an ethanol-free version. It might add $2 to the cost of a tank of fuel, but it is worth it.

/ Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue #4  
Put Red Stabil in the non ethanol fuel and it will help with water and keep it fresh.

/ Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue #5  
No ethanol 93 is like crystal meth for small engines. Now that I found a place to buy it I use it exclusive for the saws, blowers, atv's etc

/ Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue #6  
I have the same problem. The factory has no clue whats causing this or refuses to say.

The dealer changed the fuel pump. then tthe throtte body. It ran a week and started surging again so they replaced the throtte body again.

After 3 months its doing it again. Dealer said to stabilizerizer so I have been but it did didn't help.

Dealer talked to the factory and they dont know whats causing it they say to rethecthrottlerottel body.

I wish I had not bought the gas version. I think is the computer is causing the surging and stalling the computer gets confused and surges the engine trying to adjust the fuel flow.

Someone needs to start a class action suit against the factory because it looks to be a defect.

I think if I could find a carberator to replace the fuel injection system it would fix it.

/ Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue #7  
I have a 2011 Transmule and had a similar problem. My dealer said that it was carbon build up on something to do with smog. Sorry, I forget the exact name of it, but they said it's a very common problem. it's also very easy to fix, but very time consuming to get to it.

You either need to find another dealer or tell the one you are going to about the smog issue. It's VERY COMMON.

Eddie

/ Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue #8  
Hi I also have a 2009 Mule 4010 and had fuel problems, too. Dealer said fuel pump would cost $700 plus labor. I googled up Kawaski and found they were having problems with fuel pumps that year. I called Kawaski directly, spoke to customer service, had me return it to the dealer for diagnosis, and if indeed it was the fuel pump, kawaski would replace it, which they did at no cost. Well worth pursuing I will look up Kawaski contact information if you need it.

/ Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans - Engine Idle issue #10  
Last effort before taking it to the dealer: Removed throttle body (PITA), throttle body appeared brand-new inside maybe due to the throttle body cleaning step in #5 above. What I did different was open the electronic servo controlled throttle blade using my finger: full open and full close back and forth - sprayed shaft bearing area with WD40. While fully closed, and with all electrical connections hooked up: have assistant turn key to "on" position and watch the throttle blade - you should see it open slightly. If so - good to go. Put it all back together and start it up. SUCCESS (for me)

I am sure this is my problem can someone take pictures of their mule that shows me were to start so I can get my mule running again?