What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy...

/ What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #1  

Piper2022

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland 1920
I am looking to spend around 3k on a used quad. I would mainly be using it for working in the woods, pulling logs, and hunting. I ride enduro dirt bikes so I will not be trail riding the machine so speed and high speed handling is not a concern for me. I have a good friend who is a polaris tech. He swears by the 05 and up sportsman 500's. Personally I am a honda guy and would like something like a foreman 450

this ones super clean but the price seems a little high for the age
2002 honda foreman 450 es

anyways, can you guys steer me in the right direction. What utility quads have you guys had good luck with?

/ What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #2  
You can always make an offer on that 2002 ATV.
Go see it, and have CASH in your pocket...put your offer cash in one pocket, and enough additional cash for how much you're actually willing to pay in your other pocket.

/ What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #3  
I have an 01 Kingquad 300, its got a front dif lock and 3 ranges, for 15 forward gears, 3 reverse. Great engine braking too. Its simple with an oil cooler only, but for heavy towing I've rigged a 12v dash fan to blow on the cylinder. It has an oil temp light but that's never come on. In super low range it can go at a walking pace with the centrifical clutch fully engaged, 126 to 1 overall ratio. Its also pretty low which is nice on the side slopes.
It's been very reliable as well with no real problems at all in 12 years.
Scroll down in this thread and a guy has all the overall gear ratios for many machines you are going to be looking at.
http://forum.highlifter.com/Anyone-have-older-250-or-300-king-quad-Suzuki-m3095012.aspx

/ What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #4  
I think your choice of a Honda Foreman is right on. I have had mine since 2003 without a problem. Mine isn't for sale, but if it was, $3000 would be what I would ask (that is a researched price). My machine has 150 hours and 700 miles, and is immaculate. You should be able to find one like it for that price.

Will

/ What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #5  
I sold this 02 Foreman 450 ES for $2950 a few months ago. This is a big ATV,
at 600+ pounds. I am not enamored with the electric-shift semi-auto trans, but
I do like Hondas. I have had all the majors now, except for Can-Am-BRP.

I have a Sportsman 800 EFI Twin here right now. This thing is Huge, at 770#,
and has TONS of power. It's not mine, just custom-mounting a snow plow on it.

My personal 4x4 utility ATV is a 96 Honda TRX300FW, and it has plenty of power.
Semi-auto trans, full-time 4x4. Switchable 4x4/4x2 is much better. 4x4 rarely
needed. Most newer 4x4 quads have the switchable option.

Auto trans is a big plus to consider. Power steering? I don't really get it.

Attachments

• before_after.jpg
    before_after.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 116
   / What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #6  
Power steering? I don't really get it.

Maybe not needed on an ATV, but it's pretty handy on a UTV...especially for those slow turns.

/ What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #7  
Maybe not needed on an ATV, but it's pretty handy on a UTV...especially
for those slow turns.

Perhaps, but the monster quad above weighs 770#, and a poor man's Kubota UTV (RTV500) is double that,
at 1500#. Quite a diff. I recently finished adding a PS pump to my Suzuki Samurai dumptruck, but
the pump is for the hyd dump....not gonna waste it on steering.

/ What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #8  
I vote Honda all the way. I had a Rancher that gave me zero problems. I wanted water cooled and fuel injection, so I upgraded (plus bought my wife a matching one) to a '13 Rancher this past fall. It's not only a work horse, but also a fun toy.

/ What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #9  
Perhaps, but the monster quad above weighs 770#, and a poor man's Kubota UTV (RTV500) is double that,
at 1500#. Quite a diff. I recently finished adding a PS pump to my Suzuki Samurai dumptruck, but
the pump is for the hyd dump....not gonna waste it on steering.

And you are more then welcome to make that choice...I'm surprised you got an HST...lost some PTO HP that could have been put to better use...

Seriously, everyone makes the choices on what they think is worth the money...I made mine, you made yours.

/ What to buy? Cant decided on what used utility quad to buy... #10  
I don't think you can go wrong with the Honda! I with Roy on power steering. My next ranger crew will have it. When you run a fiber glass cab, winch and loaded witth gear, people , plus oversized tires, it would be alot easier! LUTT