John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ???

/ John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ??? #1  

RedHawkRidge

Silver Member
I am interested in getting a 855D Gator. Would trade in a 2010 850D, which is a fine machine which I have no problems with. But I like the improvements on the latest 855D.
My concern is that I don't want to buy a current model, then find out the next year's model (2014 or 2015?) has been upgraded with lots of improvements. My suspicions were aroused when I saw on the JD website that several UTV models including the 855D are specifically listed as 2013 models. I saw that JD's primary competitor Kubota has just (Oct 10, 2013) announced a revamped RTVx900 (hope I got that right) with many desirable features. Is JD's website purposely showing only a 2013 model on their website, while preparing an upgrade package for the 2014 year to compete with the new Kubota's????
JIM

/ John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ??? #2  
Generally speaking no matter what you get for a product in a year or two there are going not be updates and improvements....there's no way to get around it.

/ John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ??? #3  
I agree. If one waits till they quit making changes, one will never buy. It's even worse with Electronic Technology (Computers, Phones, Amps)., which is changing from the time one ships one day till another one ships next week.

/ John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ??? #4  
Is there any particular reason to go with the diesel JD? They are slow and loud. Go drive one. I did and I bought the JD 825i. It's a very capable machine that is just as comfortable with playing as it is with work.

photo-11.jpg

/ John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ??? #5  
Is there any particular reason to go with the diesel JD? They are slow and loud. Go drive one. I did and I bought the JD 825i. It's a very capable machine that is just as comfortable with playing as it is with work.

photo-11.jpg

I have an 855D. My neighbor has an 825i...so I do have a comparison.
The 855D isn't as fast as the 825i, but it quite quick unless you want to pull some the stunts shown in commercials. As far as noise, the diesel in the 855D's do have the typical "diesel" sounds, but not annoying or even loud....however, noise is a subjective thing so what may be annoying to one person may be music to another. I will admit one thing, that 825i sounds sweet when the revs are up!
Where the 855D excels is in fuel economy (very frugal) and torque.
So, if you want more of a "fun" machine, get the 825i (just carry an extra 5 gallons of gas)...if you want a working machine, the 855D is the way to go.

/ John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ??? #6  
I won't argue with you on the fuel issue Roy, the 825i is a gas pig. The rumor at my JD dealer was discontinuation of the diesel gator from lack of sales, but it is just rumor.

/ John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ??? #7  
I won't argue with you on the fuel issue Roy, the 825i is a gas pig. The rumor at my JD dealer was discontinuation of the diesel gator from lack of sales, but it is just rumor.

That's probably a regional thing...my dealer sells more diesels then gas models....I think the diesels are more popular with agricultural and commercial buyers. As far as gas UTV's, I've seen more Polaris around here...very few Kubotas though.

/ John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ??? #8  
That's probably a regional thing...my dealer sells more diesels then gas models....I think the diesels are more popular with agricultural and commercial buyers. As far as gas UTV's, I've seen more Polaris around here...very few Kubotas though.
I noticed on the snow thread that you have put the plow on the gator. Can you tell me how you like it. I believe we both started out plowing with the JD 670 and rear blade. :thumbsup:

/ John Deere 2014 new UTV's vs Kubota ??? #9  
I noticed on the snow thread that you have put the plow on the gator. Can you tell me how you like it. I believe we both started out plowing with the JD 670 and rear blade. :thumbsup:

I responded in the other thread...