Bought a Yamaha Terrapro

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro #1  

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
1965 135 gasser, 1967 135 diesel
Ealier this week I drove to west Tennessee and bought a somewhat unique ATV. A 1988 YMP350U Yamaha Terrapro with a finish mower. I'm going to restore it back to it's grandure. The FM48 mower is in sad shape and will need a total going over. The ATV is amazing in good shape. It needs carburator work. The finish is badly faded but that's an easy fix. Here's a few picture of them both. This is the only known ATV that has a 10hp PTO on it. Yamaha also sold several implements for it. All are obsolete and rare as hens teeth.

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro #2  
I remember seeing one of those new at the dealer when I was a kid. I wanted it so badly.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro #3  
Neighbor has had one since new. Works pretty well but gets stuck easily when mowing uneven ground.

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro #4  
Never seen one but was only 9 in 88,looks good,thanks for the pictures ...

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro
I found a clogged needle valve in the float bowl. The gas that came out of it looked like red wine and it lost most of the gas smell. Nasty. Cleaned it out. The next day i put the seat and gas tank back on and drove it around in the driveway. I bought it for less that half of the going price of a running one in average shape.

Next, I've pull all the flaring off it and going to refurbish the finish. It's barely blue in color. Going start wet sanding at 320 and work my way up to 2000, then polish it. I have a new set of decals coming for it. Going to recover the seat from blue to dark grey. The one on it has a small tear. -kid

The throttle jet was remarkably clean, but the lower end was gummed up pretty bad.

View attachment 345791

After getting the engine running next on the agenda was the front brakes. I won an auction on eBay to what looked like the same brake cable that was missing on the left front wheel to the double to single cable point. It came with two cables. One was in poor shape and one was in really good shape. I dismantled it and put it on the make assembly. Fit like a grove. Best twelve dollars spent. I new cable with a wheel hardware would have set me back 50 to 100 bucks.

View attachment 345792 View attachment 345793View attachment 345794 View attachment 345795

Another unique feature besides it having a PTO is it also was a fan cooled engine. Because of being able to gear down to a granny gear while using the PTO with high RPMs. Yamaha put a belt driven fan to blow across the head to keep the engine cool. Neat. Hmmm shades of a Chevy Corvair or a VW Beetle. I pulled the wire screen off to check the belt and it looked new and snug. I decided to give the cover a cosmetic make over while I had it apart.

View attachment 345796 View attachment 345797 View attachment 345798

Next on the list was getting all the plastic looking good. I sanded down the tank and polished it. It's ready for decals. The rear fender was a mess. Badly faded. I used a razor to remove the excess oxidation. Then I took a heat gun and carefully heated the plastic to lay it all down and bring out the fresh blue color. I'll sand it down in three or four stages and give it good polishing Here's a picture of the rear and tank cover sitting on the Terrapro.

View attachment 345799 View attachment 345800

I've got some left over vinyl from a hotrod project and going to recover the seat. I just don't like a blue seat.

Next on the list to refurbish the front fender. Stay tuned.

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro #7  
Interesting project. Seems like a noble cause. Good luck with it.

I recently looked at a Polaris Brutus machine…..which has a front PTO. Thought it might be a neat machine…..but was really surprised about the size and heft of this unit….as well as the price. Guess it's intended for commercial markets. I think this concept is really cool…..and hope someday a manufacturer will again find the right combination of ATV/UTV - with a PTO.

Finally got both front and rear color brought back to life. I was missing the batter cover which is located under the rear fender rack. I hooked up with a guy in west Tennessee that's got the cover and a ton of parts for this machine. I'm going to try to buy everything he's got.

/ Bought a Yamaha Terrapro #9  
My neighbor had one with a mower on the back.

I wanted to recover the seat on the Terrapro with some left over marine grade Naugahyde I had left over from a hotrod project. I had a old Arrow stapler and a Harbour Freight electric one. Neither would push the 1/4" T-10 staples into the nylon seat frame. So I bought a pheumatic Superbond stapler online. I knew it should set those staples with ease. It did.

I stripped off the old vinyl off the seat which had tears and holes. I thought about making a pattern and frankly the seat is too simple so no pattern was needed.

I put the Nagahyde in the dryer for about five minutes to warm it up so it would stretch easier. The seat closer to the front has a saddle curve and the vinyl had to be stretched at that point. I took the locking bar off the seat to give clearance as I shot staples all the way around. After stapling it all the way around I took a razor and trimmed the excess vinyl off then shot a second row of staples all the way around. I shot extra staples in the front corners to secure it and tighty it up.

A first for me, but turned out quite nice. Local upholstry shop wanted $75 to do it. They might have done a bit neater work but I'm satisfied.

View attachment 347683 View attachment 347684 View attachment 347685 View attachment 347686 View attachment 347687 View attachment 347688

The finished product
View attachment 347689 View attachment 347690