If buying new what would You Buy

/ If buying new what would You Buy #1  

nc redneck

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk45SE Sold Kubota BX 2200 Sold Kubota B 3200 Loader WR Long 4 in 1
Looking for UTV for work and play. Have dreams of going trail riding in the next few years. Already have dirt bikes but looking for something me and wife can enjoy ( she does not ride bikes ) . I have Kubota and Kioti tractor and sold on quality of both. Honda Pioneer seems like the best work and play model I have seen so far. Would love input from people who own them already.
Thanks
Scott

/ If buying new what would You Buy #2  
How fast do you want to go? My inlaws have a RTV500 and it is great for us, but its not overly fast. We demoed a Gator 625i and it was fast, but for our purposes (terrain that a golf cart can handle, just moving more weight and inlaws with bad hips/knees) the RTV500 is great because it s fairly low to the ground. The 625i we demoed was as high off the ground (for the bed and cab floors) as our 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup and that was just too high for us.

Aaron Z

/ If buying new what would You Buy #3  
For both work and play I wouldn't recommend Kubota anything....they aren't fun on the trail at all.

I use my Gator 825i for work and play....does tons of work and can really go just about anywhere offroad.....it only does 44-45 mph but that's generally as fast as I care to go offroad anyway. The biggest downside I see in the 825i is the width, most trail systems have barricades setup to keep wider utvs and Jeeps off the trail so I really have to creep to get through them and align perfectly or I"ll hit one side or the other.

So I think I would have to recommend a Polaris Ranger 800 midsize....they a few inches narrower than my Gator 825i which will make them a breeze to get through the trails and they are still a good workhorse machine. I don't regret purchasing my Gator 825i at all but I do wish it was about 3 or 4" narrower just for trail entrances where barricades are set up....I've got a couple yellow racing stripes from one of them on my protection rails from a trip earlier this year.:laughing:

/ If buying new what would You Buy #4  
I am a huge fan of the Polaris Ranger Crew... Great for work, which is mostly how I use mine, and the family loves it for fun (riding trails, seeing neighbors, etc.). Speed limited at about 45mph, but has plenty of power. I think the limiter is only on the crew.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #5  
...So I think I would have to recommend a Polaris Ranger 800 midsize....they a few inches narrower than my Gator 825i which will make them a breeze to get through the trails and they are still a good workhorse machine.....

I would recommend looking at the Polaris midsize line also. When I was looking I test rode all three, the 400, 500, and 800 and ended up choosing the 500. It has FI (which I wanted with today's gas) and plenty of power, it easily runs over 40 mph. I think it's been replaced with the 570 now, try both it and an 800 if you get a chance.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #6  
I bought a Honda Pioneer 700-4 a few weeks back. Just had the family for deer hunting?.and we used (and needed) every seat configuration to haul people, gear and deer. I really like my pioneer's work and sport characteristics. Goes fast enough and is good for trail riding?.yet it makes a good work machine too. I put the glass windshield on mine and the full hardtop. Also have a winch and will be putting cab doors, heater and ww. I think I'll enjoy this machine for many years. It's a Honda. ;) ?.and they really rang the bell with this model?.IMO.

OH?.and EVERYONE thinks it rides really well. Everyone is surpassed and remarks about how nice it rides.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #7  
For both work and play I wouldn't recommend Kubota anything....they aren't fun on the trail at all.

??? What the heck? We have had a Kubota RTV900 for six years now and love it. Good for around the farm use and great enjoyment on the trails. Of course, we are not speed freaks, we like to go slow and enjoy what we see, not see how many miles we can rack up in five minutes. About the only time I run the RTV at full speed is when going down the blacktop road. Of course YMMV.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #8  
??? What the heck? We have had a Kubota RTV900 for six years now and love it. Good for around the farm use and great enjoyment on the trails. Of course, we are not speed freaks, we like to go slow and enjoy what we see, not see how many miles we can rack up in five minutes. About the only time I run the RTV at full speed is when going down the blacktop road. Of course YMMV.

The suspension of a RTV is not set up for trail riding at all....as for being a speed freak when you put on over 100 miles a day you don't want to be cruising at 5 mph to get there. Unless it's through deep water or rocks most trails up here 30 mph is a leisurely pace:thumbsup:

/ If buying new what would You Buy #9  
My only comment is on noise. I've been in a Artic Cat SxS and a Polaris Rzr, they make so much noise you can't here yourself think.

My Honda Rincon ATV is quiet as a mouse and is the same engine in the Pioneer.

/ If buying new what would You Buy #10  
The Kubota RTV's are great work/farm machines.
But they are certainly not great trail machines.
Slow with suspension not set up for trail riding.