Buy new or used Honda Foreman?

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #21  
There is a member here (or was) that had designed an awesome ssqa adaper, he had cad drawings that he sent me a couple years ago. I can't for the life of me remember who it was though. I will have to dig it up and let you know.

Thanks!

One thing about the new factory Kubota QA is that it looks light.. Lightness is good on a BX!

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #22  
I've owned plenty of Honda ATC/ ATVs over the years and each one has acted differently. My best example is my 86 250sx ATC. Both my neighbor and I bought one about 4 days apart from the same local dealer. I think the S/N was within 75 of each other. His started without choke down to temps below zero. Below that he would choke it just to start it, once started it would run fine without being choked. Mine needed the choke no matter what. The kick starter was useless as it needed to be turned over for a good 20 seconds before it would start. Once started I needed to leave it on full choke for 5 minutes or more before it would run smoothly. What I always tell people is make sure it's cold and start it. If it starts great then it will starts fast when cold you should be fine. If it doesn't then you can expect it to start hard or you'll have to have it rejetted. My 2009 Big Red is FI and as long as I wait for the pump to shut off after turning the key on it starts just fine.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #23  
My best example is my 86 250sx ATC.

I had one of those and got years of use out of it. Mine was an 85, and it ran great.
Also had a 86 TRX250 FourTrax, same engine as the 3-wheeler. I crashed it and
replaced the bent tank with a Clarke plastic unit.

I love the older quads as they did not run so lean as the newer ones do. Downsides:
steel fuel tanks that rust, and eventually you could not get certain parts.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #24  
The new 500 has a locking front diff, older ones dont!

Rode my cousins 680 and I am flat out impressed. Hope they put the front licking diff on them, if they do, that will be my next wad.

Last edited:
   / Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #25  
I had one of those and got years of use out of it. Mine was an 85, and it ran great.
Also had a 86 TRX250 FourTrax, same engine as the 3-wheeler. I crashed it and
replaced the bent tank with a Clarke plastic unit.

I love the older quads as they did not run so lean as the newer ones do. Downsides:
steel fuel tanks that rust, and eventually you could not get certain parts.

I still have my 250sx. It runs pretty good after I rejetted it. But since I got my Big Red I haven't used it, 3 years now.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #26  
Blade Vs bucket is part of it. But even a blade likely wont take care of the light weight of a BX front end and steering. I suppose I could add a front weight box...
On bending... I didnt like the look and cost of store bought blades.. I built my own. No bending with mine.
I may adapt my blade to my BX... But before that I have to build my loader quick attach.
We have the 60" Kubota blade on our BX2660 and haven't had any issues with light weight. It works very well, but we need more weight on the back (and/or more aggressive tires)...

Aaron Z

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman?
Thanks for the replies guys! Going to look at a used 450 Foreman this weekend!

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #28  
Buy the new one. With the financing options available, you can get a pretty low monthly payment and know that there you will not have to deal with any surprises. I'm also very nervous of that price you quoted for the used one. That is too cheap, so it makes me think there is something wrong with it. Honda's hold their value better then that, so I'm seeing a huge red flag. The other thing to think about is that this is going to be something you will have for at least ten years, maybe 20. The older one will require more work sooner then the brand new one. The gamble you are taking by spending less upfront is how long until you start to have to put money into the older one and how much will it cost?

While I've had both good and bad luck with buying used, I've NEVER regretted buying brand new or spending a little more for something better. I HAVE regretted those instances where I tried to save a buck. In every case, it would have been cheaper to have spent the money for what I really wanted up front instead of what I ended up buying.

Eddie

Buy the new one. With the financing options available, you can get a pretty low monthly payment and know that there you will not have to deal with any surprises. I'm also very nervous of that price you quoted for the used one. That is too cheap, so it makes me think there is something wrong with it. Honda's hold their value better then that, so I'm seeing a huge red flag. The other thing to think about is that this is going to be something you will have for at least ten years, maybe 20. The older one will require more work sooner then the brand new one. The gamble you are taking by spending less upfront is how long until you start to have to put money into the older one and how much will it cost?

While I've had both good and bad luck with buying used, I've NEVER regretted buying brand new or spending a little more for something better. I HAVE regretted those instances where I tried to save a buck. In every case, it would have been cheaper to have spent the money for what I really wanted up front instead of what I ended up buying.

Eddie

Good advice. You won't be pleased with my next post.

Well I bought used! So far I'm happy with the new rig. Time will tell if it was a smart move. I like the simplicity of the old ones and the price!!! And no financing! (0:

Attachments

• image-3740668521.jpg
    image-3740668521.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2883548188.jpg
    image-2883548188.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 165