Buy new or used Honda Foreman?

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #1  

PapaPerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500
Hello,

Asking for opinion here.

I'M debating buying a Honda Foreman. Will be used to plow snow and farm work. I have two options.. Buy new or used.

New 2014 redesigned Foreman is around $7,000. Used 2004 model is $3,300 approx for a pristine model.

So would you buy new or used? I'll have to finance half the new cost. I'll pay cash for the used one.

Thanks!

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #2  
Buy the used one, it will do everything a new one will.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #3  
new ones are fuel injected! I have had an 2013 Honda foreman 4x4 and a 2008 Honda foreman. my 2013 would leave my 08 in the dust all the way around. had the 13 with foot shift and 4x4 and it was a beast pulling acceleration and get up and go. my 08 had electric steering electric shift and was 4x4 it ran smoothly and did everything I needed it to do but if you want something to be proud of... get the new one. lost my 2013 in a house fire!! or would still have it. just sold my 08.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #4  
carb hard to crank when cold. fuel injection hot or cold no problem at all! unless you live way up in the hills where the air gets thin go with the older carb because it can be adjusted. the fuel injection has to be programed as im told. but in the low lands of Mississippi never gave me a problem

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman?
new ones are fuel injected! I have had an 2013 Honda foreman 4x4 and a 2008 Honda foreman. my 2013 would leave my 08 in the dust all the way around. had the 13 with foot shift and 4x4 and it was a beast pulling acceleration and get up and go. my 08 had electric steering electric shift and was 4x4 it ran smoothly and did everything I needed it to do but if you want something to be proud of... get the new one. lost my 2013 in a house fire!! or would still have it. just sold my 08.

Thanks for the feedback. Does the 2013 pull better? I want to plow snow.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #6  
oh yeah I like the foot shift you can get a lot more power out of it. my buddy had a artic cat 700 and id personally would put them in the same class. even though he had a v twin engine. its hard to beat a Honda for price and reliability

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #7  
The old Foreman will plow just fine.

As long as its not abused, Id go that way and be payment free.

I used to plow with my 450es. It plowed as good or even better than my BX. Cold weather starting with good fuel and a charged battery is a non issue. Pull the choke and she'll fire right up.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #8  
You can't go wrong with a Foreman.My brother-in-law finally retired his after 13,000 miles.Not easy ones either with the farm and five teenagers that trapped and hunted.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #9  
I have a 2003 Rubicon and a 2004 Foreman ES. The only advantages of going new are: warranty, fuel injection (important for some and very nice to have), and the availability of EPS. Otherwise go with the older one. Put an Iridium plug in it, Honda Synthetic oil, adjust the valves, change the gear oil to synthetic, and you'll be good to go. Double check the CV joint boots as this is a PIA & $$ repair. I have never had a problem with either machine's brakes.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #10  
Either one will give you years of service. I have the 08 Foreman and use it everyday on our farm. The electric power steering is very nice.