All purpose UTV for farm use?

/ All purpose UTV for farm use? #1  

RJT

Tractor
N/A
As stated on a previous thread.. I'm just about to purchase a new tractor. That being said, I'm going to need an all purpose UTV for moving stuff. Hay bales, bags of whatever, ducks/chickens/turkeys/geese (wife's pets) when necessary, tree branches, firewood, tools.. You get the picture, haha. I don't plan on having to mill about the woods with it, I have ATVs for that. Strictly for moving stuff and attaching a small trailer to around the property. I don't plan on moving anything over 800-1000 lbs. I have a 10k budget but an extra 2-3k wouldn't make or break the deal. As always, I appreciate any and all responses and send my thanks in advance!

/ All purpose UTV for farm use? #2  
I have a Deere 855D Gator...this is the diesel Gator, BTW.
The base model is about $12K. And I do recommend a Gator for your tasks.
That said, just read some of the threads in this forum and you'll get all the opinions you'll want.

/ All purpose UTV for farm use? #3  
An RTV900 is a great work machine. Not fast, but will do what you want and then some...No belt drive is a plus for grunt work.

/ All purpose UTV for farm use? #4  
An RTV900 is a great work machine. Not fast, but will do what you want and then some...No belt drive is a plus for grunt work.

I agree with Tim's recommendation. There is a new design and a price increase for 2014 that puts the MSRP above $13K. However, Kubota is offering either 0% financing for 36 months or a $400 rebate for the RTV-X models.

Good luck.

Steve

/ All purpose UTV for farm use? #5  
Any thoughts on Honda Pioneer 700-4 it has my attention looking at it hard.

/ All purpose UTV for farm use? #6  
The RTV 900 seems tailor made for your situation.

Will

/ All purpose UTV for farm use? #7  
Once all the price, aesthetics, hauling & dumping, speed, and maneuverability considerations are solved; a person may want to look into the ease of getting in and out of the OHV. My main argument for a 2 "seater" was not having to throw my leg over the ATV seat when I'm working.

Being able to easily get in and get out of the OHV 15 or 20+ times a day (when working) really makes a big difference. Where my RTV 500 tops out @ 30 MPH, it is very easy to get in and get out of and it crawls like a tank in the woods.

/ All purpose UTV for farm use? #8  
If you aren't set on a new machine you could easily pick up a older low hour RTV 900 for $10k.

I looked at a nice one the other day in that price range. It was about a 2006 model with less than 400 hours, hydraulic dump, worksite tires and a full cab, complete with heat, windshield wipers, turn signals and radio.

I thought about buying it just to have the cab and tires for mine, swapping my older tires and plastic canopy and then selling.

/ All purpose UTV for farm use?
I'll take a look at some used RTV900's as well as Gators. Home Depot had the smallest (Gator) UTV with the cage, but it was the gas version. Perhaps I can take it out for a spin tomorrow when I head into town. Financing wouldn't be much an issue for me as I'd be paying cash. Getting in and out (or off an on from an ATV standpoint) won't be much an issue either, to be honest. I've even tossed the idea around of just getting an ATV instead and selling one of the three I have.. I can't drive them all at once anyway. I had actually looked into them and found that most above 500cc can pull 1k+ lbs. so I haven't completely ruled that thought out. I can pick up a brand new Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI with a winch, brush guard, nicer wheels, and some other goodies for it for about 8.5k. Ugh, decisions decisions. My eyes are bigger than my wallet! Haha. I guess the question is; In 10 years when I'm almost 40, do I want to be getting on and off of a quad? Lol. I guess I can always sell the **** thing and get a UTV if I'm being bothered by it at that point.

Back to UTVs.
I've been looking at the Kawi Mules.. The 610 4x4 to be exact. The only flaw with it is that it only comes with a ball hitch.. No regular ole receiver. But it has a modest price of about 9.5k with goodies. Another one I have really been considering is the Honda Pioneer 700. My wife as a Honda Recon quad and the thing is absolutely fantastic. If the dependability and durability crosses over to their UTV line, this one might just be the one I purchase. Price is roughly 11k with the options I'd want. That brings me to the one I'm really twisted about. The Yamaha Rhino. I have 2 Yamaha ATVs and both have been flawless since day one. The one is almost two decades old. This is actually what made me reconsider an ATV (I'll get there in a second). The Rhino 700 would top out at around 12.2k for me and have literally everything I feel that I'd need. On the other hand.. I can get a new Yamaha quad. 2" receiver hitch, winch, full skid plates, + more goodies for 9k. It'll tow 1,300 lbs. Since I didn't intend on using the bed of a UTV for anything (planned on pulling a small trailer), no bed wouldn't be an issue.

So tossing ideas around.. If I went the ATV route.. Knowing what you know now, benefits for and against ATV/UTV? I've pondered over it for well over 3-4 hours now.. Perhaps y'all can think of something I didn't that could help me make my decision because to be honest, I'm torn. If I get another ATV, I really can't justify having 4 of them, so 1-2 will have to go.

/ All purpose UTV for farm use? #10  
let me put it this way -- can you find a ATV that uses diesel? I hate having two fuel cans/source to get to use.
I would talk to the dealer you are buying the tractor from and see if you can do a combo price on utv/rtv with tractor. If you need fast transportation for work and play then atv is better for you. Otherwise and rtv/utv is better deal for you as you can carry stuff AND tow with it. You can modify anything to fit your needs since you are on a farm and should have access to a welding machine. Or outsource to freinds/machine shop to add reciever to the mule if needed.
I'd also recommend staying away from lowes/home depot for tractors/rtv/utv as they tend to be a retail version of equipments and for a farm, you need a durable unit. Go to a dealer you prefer. better stuff/service.