2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #1  

Hiptfarms

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 with BH FEL, Kubota L4400 HST with FEL, Polaris Ranger, BCS 720
So I was out on my property last week tracking a trespasser's footprints when I wind up stuck. Situation: steep decline, wet clay based soil, open power line area. When I tried to engage the 4x4 it clicked but never would work. Locking rear diff didn't seem to work either. And of course, I don't have a winch. I've got a plan to get it out but I wondering, has anyone else had this issue with a Polaris Ranger? I've owned this machine since new and it only has around 325 hours on it. Doesn't sound too good for the Polaris!

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #2  
I have the 700 Ranger and did have problems with front but not rear. The front wheel uses a Hilliard system which can be expensive to fix. You can Google it and there is plenty of info available. I can e-mail you some .pdf files if it helps, send me a pm and I'll reply with 10 pages. Good luck.

Attachments

• Hilliard 1.pdf
    958.2 KB · Views: 355
   / 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #3  
The system uses 12 volts of power to activate the locking mechanism. Book says two wires from the hub should have 22.8-25.2 ohms resistance. (grey/brown and white wires)

I would unplug the connector and check for 12 volts feeding the system.

If both are not working, it is most likely an electrical problem.

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working
Thanks for the input. Does that mean if he battery is weak it may not supply enough power or am I off in my thinking? I don't have any experience much with testing electrical things like that. I keep meaning to buy a meter it haven't gotten around to it yet. .....guess I need to get around to it! And maybe learn the proper way to use it, too!

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #5  
Also the fronts don't engage in 4WD unless the back slip. Can't remember if it is 1/4 turn of slip but it isn't much.

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #6  
Can't speak from too many datapoints, but from the dozen or so folks I know personally who own Polaris products, each has said the same thing - love the performance and specs of the equipment but hate the reliability....in the shop or leaving them stranded much more often than what they expected......out of those folks I know personally, none of them are two time Polaris owners and most have switched to Honda, Yamaha, or Kawasaki......not because of the amazing performance or features from Polaris, they seem to really have some talented Design Engineers, but purely for the reliability factor.....the few that kept their Polaris vehicles are quite handy with their tools and enjoy "wrenching" on stuff, so for them, its not a headache they can't readily fix themselves (in most cases)...... reminds me of my Range Rover a bit....amazing off road capabilities, but saw more of the dealer's service center than it ever saw of true off road challenges......... again not claiming I can speak for all Polaris, just passing on what I've experienced personally and why I'd likely not own one (I'm not a "wrenching" kind of guy)

Yeah. This is my second one. The first was stolen. 2002 2x4. The body integrity of that machine far exceeds this one. The plastic floor pan has cracks in multiple places and we don't do any hard handling of the machine. Just around the farm cutting firewood, etc. I definitely will not buy another one. Polaris's customer service really sucks. A 6 month warranty for a 8500.00 machine. No exceptions. Not a good warranty by my standards.

I just hope this is a simple issue and not a major money sucker!

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #8  
Thanks for the input. Does that mean if he battery is weak it may not supply enough power or am I off in my thinking? I don't have any experience much with testing electrical things like that. I keep meaning to buy a meter it haven't gotten around to it yet. .....guess I need to get around to it! And maybe learn the proper way to use it, too!

This wll help: Multimeter Tutorial

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #9  
Great multimeter tutorial?

Here is what you need to do;

- at each hub there will be a wire coming from the hub itself and leading to a coupler probably within 6 inches of wire length from the hub
- unplug the connector and test
- on the side from the wire harness you could use a 12 volt bulb with two wires attached to the bulb, any taillight bulb will do, test for voltage there by plugging into the two in the coupler
- to test the hub wire you need the meter to test for OHMS resistance
- I'm thinking the hubs themselves are okay, you just lacking voltage to the hubs.

Yes you need a good battery. Meter should read 12+ volts when connected directly to the negative and positive battery terminals. When ATV is running and at or above 2500 rpm voltage should rise to 14+ volts. If not battery or charging system is bad.

Ignition switch must be on and test the voltage by switching from 4wd to 2wd.
Light should go on and off each time.
Then do the same for the rear hub.

Thanks Xfaxman and Spudhauler for the multimeter, etc. tips. The info will come in handy. My friend and his son came over this morning and we tried to get the Ranger out but unfortunately it's still way too wet from the snow melt we're having. (wierd weather here in SC ...Great southern snowstorm, you know. Heck we even had an earthquake here last night.....no joke. 4.1) anyway, his 4x4 Chevy couldn't make it to the site where the utv is. His Warn winch conked out and nothing else was working either. We're going to try it again tomorrow with his Bad Boy utv and a different winch. Once I finally get it back to my shop I'll be able to put those tips to use. Thanks again guys....and wish me luck!