Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
I must say my 2012 Polaris 500 mid-size UTV doesn't go as well in snow as the Mule 610 I had before. Going up the same hill with similar amount of snow the Mule in 4wd never had a problem and seldom even spun. The Ranger in 4wd is always spinning. A couple times I thought I might have to back down and get a faster run but the Ranger eventually spun and clawed it's way up. The other issue is it really fishtails under certain conditions. For instance driving straight on a road covered with a few inches of snow in 4WD the back end is going side to side forcing me to constantly correct with the steering. I thought it could possibly be the stock tires but it's been like this since new and only has 75 hours of wear on them. The Mule always tracked fine from the time it was new to when I sold it with mostly worn out tires. A bit of fishtailing in 2wd is expected since the rears are spinning somewhat to maintain speed. The Mule as well, but not in 4wd.

Just trying to think this through and looking how Polaris has the 4wd set up I'm thinking the rear wheels and front wheels do not spin at the same exact rate when in 4wd on a slippery surface. If the front wheels are pulling at say 20 mph while the rears are spinning at 24 mph couldn't that make the rear swing side to side when I'm trying to go straight? That would also explain why it doesn't climb up hill through snow as well, spinning wheels have less traction than wheels turning at the rate of travel. Polaris says their "special system" allows 4wd to be engaged even on good traction surfaces because the front wheels won't pull until needed. It goes on to say the front doesn't actually engage until the rear wheel turns 1/5 of a revolution more than the front. That's a 20% difference and would explain the rear spinning faster in low traction conditions then once back on a good surface the rear no longer spins and the front disconnects again. Unless the system requires the rear to slip 1/5 revolution then somehow they lock and turn 1 to 1. But then how would it know to disconnect again?

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #2  
The fronts aren't pulling at all unless the rears have lost traction. Once the rears grab again the fronts stop pulling.

On a snow covered road I would just leave it in turf mode or lock the rear unless it was steep enough to need the fronts pulling.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #3  
I must say my 2012 Polaris 500 mid-size UTV doesn't go as well in snow as the Mule 610 I had before. Going up the same hill with similar amount of snow the Mule in 4wd never had a problem and seldom even spun. The Ranger in 4wd is always spinning. A couple times I thought I might have to back down and get a faster run but the Ranger eventually spun and clawed it's way up. The other issue is it really fishtails under certain conditions. For instance driving straight on a road covered with a few inches of snow in 4WD the back end is going side to side forcing me to constantly correct with the steering. I thought it could possibly be the stock tires but it's been like this since new and only has 75 hours of wear on them. The Mule always tracked fine from the time it was new to when I sold it with mostly worn out tires. A bit of fishtailing in 2wd is expected since the rears are spinning somewhat to maintain speed. The Mule as well, but not in 4wd.

Just trying to think this through and looking how Polaris has the 4wd set up I'm thinking the rear wheels and front wheels do not spin at the same exact rate when in 4wd on a slippery surface. If the front wheels are pulling at say 20 mph while the rears are spinning at 24 mph couldn't that make the rear swing side to side when I'm trying to go straight? That would also explain why it doesn't climb up hill through snow as well, spinning wheels have less traction than wheels turning at the rate of travel. Polaris says their "special system" allows 4wd to be engaged even on good traction surfaces because the front wheels won't pull until needed. It goes on to say the front doesn't actually engage until the rear wheel turns 1/5 of a revolution more than the front. That's a 20% difference and would explain the rear spinning faster in low traction conditions then once back on a good surface the rear no longer spins and the front disconnects again. Unless the system requires the rear to slip 1/5 revolution then somehow they lock and turn 1 to 1. But then how would it know to disconnect again?

Have you run the thing up on a car hoist to see if the front brakes are dragging? My friend's 2002 Ranger 500 tracks very well on ice in 4WD, and runs well through snow until it belly-hangs.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #4  
I have a 2005 ranger 500 EFI and I had the same problems with the stock tires. I finally replaced the tires last year with a better tire (I'm not at home right now, or I'd tell you which model and brand). The difference is like night day. I no longer have any problems with traction, and I no longer have issues tearing up the sod in my pastures.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow
On a snow covered road I would just leave it in turf mode or lock the rear unless it was steep enough to need the fronts pulling.

I could do that but in the condition I described, in 2wd it's really fishtailing, which is why I use 4wd. My point/complaint is switching to 4wd doesn't help the Ranger, unlike on my ATV's and old Mule which track nice and straight once they're put in 4wd with all wheels turning in unison. Honestly I think it's a poor system and probably wouldn't have bought this Ranger had I known. Too late for me but I guess sharing this knowledge may help someone else.

Have you run the thing up on a car hoist to see if the front brakes are dragging? My friend's 2002 Ranger 500 tracks very well on ice in 4WD, and runs well through snow until it belly-hangs.

Not up on a hoist but the brakes aren't dragging because I often push it back in the garage rather than start it and then turn it right off again. It rolls easily in neutral.

The 2002 Rangers (that would be a full size) may have a different set-up? I don't know?

I suppose a grippier tread tire may help and may be what I have to do. It wouldn't be worth it to reengineer the AWD system to get all 4 wheels turning together.

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #7  
Actually it is a very good system and works quite well. I've had no issues driving on snow covered roads or on snot-slick caliche roads but I'm using Maxxis Ceros tires on mine. Better tires (the stock ones are crap on any surface) would probably improve things. Or throw some sand bags in the back to put a little more weight on the back tires.

Actually it is a very good system and works quite well....

We'll agree to disagree on that statement. It may prevent you from getting stuck when the rear wheels start spinning and it's certainly better than 2wd.
Does anyone know if all Polaris ATV/UTV have this kind of 4wd? Is there any other brand 4wd that drives the front and rear wheels at a different rate?

So far I reduced air pressure in the rear tires a good bit, slightly over inflated the fronts, and leave the bed full of firewood. This has helped but gee wiz....

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #9  
I could do that but in the condition I described, in 2wd it's really fishtailing, which is why I use 4wd. My point/complaint is switching to 4wd doesn't help the Ranger, unlike on my ATV's and old Mule which track nice and straight once they're put in 4wd with all wheels turning in unison. Honestly I think it's a poor system and probably wouldn't have bought this Ranger had I known. Too late for me but I guess sharing this knowledge may help someone else.
You may have a suspension alignment problem.

My Ranger doesn't fishtail in 2wd or 4wd, but it doesn't have stock tires on it.
Interforce.jpg PB090005.jpg PB090007.JPG

/ Any Polaris 4WD Experts? I'm Disappointed With My Ranger 500 In Snow #10  
I say it's the tires