Buyer's Remorse / Insights?

/ Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #71  
Had a Gator CX I bought used some years ago. Smallest Gator made which is great in some respects and horrible in others. Anything over 6" of snow and it would give me troubles going up hill. I had to use tire chains, I didn't have the electric dump, it's real slow (15mph), and it really wasn't meant for plowing. I had to fab up everything to make it plow. There is no plow kit for a CX. Fortunately it sold quickly when I decided to upgrade. I ordered a 2017 Gator HPX Diesel. I got it for the 4wd, the plow, added speed, and electric dump bed. Its been about a month now of waiting which is killing me. I keep calling my dealer asking him to add more stuff to it when it comes in.

/ Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #72  
I bought a new 2012 Polaris 500 efi utv back in 2012 and have 2200 miles on it. So far so good. Everything original and no problems. I was going to buy a Honda 1000-3 but still waiting for them to work out the wrinkles and waiting for some higher mileage reviews..

/ Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #73  
Last year I bought a new 2015 Polaris ETX. I wanted a 500 (32HP) but the ETX made 31HP just at a higher RPM. Polaris was dealing on the ETX but not the 500 so I went with the ETX. I think I paid about $8100 out the door.

I have 40 acres and it was meant for working and getting around my place. I have a steep gravel driveway and the ETX will pull my 5 x 8 trailer loaded with cut brush up my hill. That alone would make me a happy camper but it has also been nice for my wife and I riding side by side together vs an ATV.

I have also filled many loads of wood chips in the back and drove down to the bottom of my driveway to spread out in the landscaping. Like I said, its meant to work.

Would I buy again? Sure would. Although I would like the 500 I guess I did not need it. Oh, I put gas in it last year and it still has a 1/2 tank. I put gas treatment in it over the winter because the darn thing sips gas. Not one mechanical issue at all. Nice machine.

Bill

/ Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #74  
As of today, we are 1/2 way through the life expectancy of the 2nd UTV our operation has purchased. We use these largely in the fall to do trail maintenance and over the winter working in snow, towing implements, so we get them with pods (you call tracks), cabs and other various accessories for winter operation. Running them in snow requires high power outputs which is quite hard on these machines. I should add that the pods are remove for summer use.

The 1st one was a 700 Rhino we got in 2008 and ran it for 6 or 7 years. It was a good machine in general but we found its 700 had far to little HP for our needs. Its last 2 years it ran around $2000 per season in repairs. Ya, it got coslty.. I can't recall the hours or miles, but operating them in snow is quite stressful on these drive lines.

To replace the Rhino, we purchased a 2016 Can-am Defender HD10. This was the 1st working utility machine BRP has produced and with it larger CC engine and HP, we thought we'd give it a try. Our locale dealer has been good and we'll try give them the business. The Defender is now through 1/2 its life expectancy with us and we have had minor problems and even had its 72HP engine maxed out at times. Nonetheless, its done reasonably well and we would get another as of today. More HP would be OK for our needs. We are beginning to wonder what machine that we'll get next??

Features that we appreciate are high output engines, cab, heaters etc. Hard doors with power windows, hard safety glass in the cab. The power assisted steering has been nice and so has the larger, plastic cargo box.. The BRP machine has been easy to work to on than the Yamaha was.

Here is the complete HD10 review. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/355357-can-am-2016-defender-hd10.html

I was curious how many current UTV owners, based on what you know now, how you've used your UTV to date, based on what was also available at the time of your purchase, based on how much you had to spend, would have gone a different route and why?

UTV Purchased - Model, Manufacturer, Model Year

Purchased New or Used

Yes Would Purchase Again Favorite Features

No, Would Not Purchase Again Would purchase Manufacturer, Model, Year instead because of X, Y, Z reasons

Last edited:
   / Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #75  
Bought a new Kioti Mechron 2200 with Power steering. Lots of issues with it. Haven't gotten to use it that much, as it's in the dealers shop so often and so long. A real let down. Love the fact that it has a Kioti Daedong diesel. But it's no fun, if it it fails, and is in the shop, not being used.

/ Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #76  
Bought a 2016 Honda Pioneer 700 in early 2017. Getting a 2016 saved some $$ but I spent some of that putting a power steering kit on it to make it easier for my wife to drive. The 2017 had power steering and has manual shifting of the three speed automatic which would be nice but is not mandatory as the standard trans is pretty good about downshifting.

The one drawback has been the locked rear end- there's no differential. We drive it on pavement way more than we expected to. The stock rear tires are toast in 250 miles. I got some rear tires with more rubber and a more square profile that will hopefully last longer.

/ Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #77  
I bought a Polaris 500 cc ATP(All Terrain Pickup) - new in 2002. Sixteen years of almost daily use - down mile long driveway to get mail - checking and maintenance of five strand barbed wire fence around my 80 acres. Always hauling materials and supplies to places the tractor can not reach. Change oil in the engine and transmission yearly. That has been the only maintenance done or required in the sixteen years. Tires are still in good shape - its always been garaged and about 98% of its time has been out in the forests on my property.

Absolutely nothing has broken or had to be replaced in all that time. If this unit ever fails - I will buy THE EXACT SAME MACHINE as a replacement.

All tools should work so hard, require so little maintenance and last so long.

/ Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #78  
Bought a very low hours Bobcat 3400D two years ago-very happy with power plant and drivetrain less the crappy clutch design that Polaris used in these-often ‘hangs’ in gear and you either have to wait a bit for it to ‘release’ or shut it down. Yanmar diesel is a bit noisier than I’d like but is bulletproof.

Our next one will be a Kubota diesel-not a big Kubota fan but their UTV is the nicest I have ever driven (work type UTV not a fun type).

/ Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #79  
I had both a 2010 Ranger 800 XP and 2012 RZR 570. Both were lots of fun and the Ranger could do so some useful work. But sold them both this year and got a used Jeep Wrangler. MUCH MORE FUN and it has wipers,. windshield washers, can go anywhere...even into town, A/C and heat and a full cab. Jeep will carry four if needed.

Just nuts to pay for a UTV similarly equipped, and the Jeep will last a lot longer than those UTV engines.

The only item I have ever purchased that was a bigger waste of money was a 43 ft toyhauler 5th wheel. And it is gone too.

Do not miss the UTV's at all.

/ Buyer's Remorse / Insights? #80  
It depends on the terrain. Ours is steep and wooded. My Pioneer is much more useful than the old Toyota 4x4 truck I had because it can go so many more places on our land. It's better off road and being smaller can get into places the Toyota could not. Since it's so light I can operate it when the ground is wet without churning it up.