Decided I need (want) a UTV

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #1  

crowbar032

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader, NH LS170 Skid Steer
Looking at a Polaris Ranger or Yamaha Rhino as they are the two closest dealers. I'm not opposed to a used machine but I'm finding limited selection as apparently everyone wants one of these things. What I have found, I consider to have too high miles/hours to really invest in. So can anyone offer pros/cons and what would you consider high miles/hours (keeping in mind I'm not a mechanic). I'm mainly interested in riding from one end of the farm to the other with chainsaw/tools/fencing/etc. I'm not looking for the "biggest baddest can pull a wagon of hay" one available but I do want 4x4 and would like a dump bed (electric?). I do not want a crew sized machine. My Dad is 74 and won't ride an atv/fourwheeler, but he would drive one of these.

I know this is like asking "what is the best tractor" and I'm going to get 100 different answers. I'm just looking to get ideas and opinions and of questions I should ask when I start seriously looking at buying and what are some common issues.

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #2  
From what I remember when making a similar purchase the Polaris has some pretty big advantages over the Rhino as far as payload and towing.

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #3  
Hi,

I got one of the first Rhino's back in 2004, still have it. It was the right width for using in the woods for hunting, etc. The original Polaris UTV's were way too wide - might as well have taken your truck into the woods.

Anyway, since then, Polaris has caught up & has some good offerings, as do others. My advice is to visit the dealers & drive them. Check out their features (dump bed operating ease, etc.), get the dealer's best price, then go home & sleep on it for a week.

They cost too much for me to upgrade, and I only have 200 hours on my Rhino. The only thing I would like different is fuel injection instead of carburetion for easier cold starts & warmups, but not enough to justify thousands more in price these days.

Good luck!

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #4  
I have a 2006 450cc Yamaha Rhino that I purchased new. Currently has 3600 miles.Oil and filter change in the spring and new tires ,that's it.The new Rhino's are wider(mines 54") and the 2014 has three wide seating.If going Polaris look at the 500cc models.A friend just purchased a loaded Polaris Crew,900cc,60 HP and $18,000.
Way to big for my uses.
I looked at the new Honda,it was OK but for my money couldn't compare to the new Rhino.(Viking)

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #5  
I bought a Cub Cadet Volunteer 4x4 EFI 748cc. For the most part, I've loved it.

I did have an early service issue and found Cub Cadet greatly lacking in willingness to do right. They did fix the problem, just not the way I asked. My only gripe about the unit, with no clutch, is it can be a little hard to shift at times.

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #6  
Depends on what your needs are. Some are designed to go fast and some are designed to go. Gators and Polaris Rangers are more work oriented and Polaris RZR's are intended for white knuckle blasting down the trails.

I bought a 2005 Rhino new and never regretted a moment with it... just turned over 500 hours. They have fell somewhat behind the "state of the art" due to the nonsensical lawsuits from idiot users but it's still one of the most reliable machines in its class. Many used ones will be beat to death but there are some good buys if you hunt around.

If buying new, take a look at the Kawasaki Teryx if you're into doing any serious four wheeling. Plus they have a reasonable payload for chores around the homestead and a bigger motor than the Rhino. The stance is a little larger than the Rhino but it's still more sport than work. If I ever buy another, it would probably be the Teryx due to the versatility and its reputation for reliability. Here's mine.

Mike

IMG_1055.jpg

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV
Hi,

The original Polaris UTV's were way too wide - might as well have taken your truck into the woods.

The only thing I would like different is fuel injection instead of carburetion for easier cold starts & warmups, but not enough to justify thousands more in price these days.

Good luck!

Agreed and good call on FI over carb.

Currently has 3600 miles.Oil and filter change in the spring and new tires ,that's it.The new Rhino's are wider(mines 54") and the 2014 has three wide seating.If going Polaris look at the 500cc models.A friend just purchased a loaded Polaris Crew,900cc,60 HP and $18,000.
Way to big for my uses.
I looked at the new Honda,it was OK but for my money couldn't compare to the new Rhino.(Viking)

That's a lot of miles and trouble free to boot, that's what I like to hear. And I'm with you, I don't need 60hp, I have a tractor. 500cc size is starting to seem right. I've got an antique worn out Honda 250 fourtrax, but the Honda side by sides don't seem to be best in class.

RZR's are intended for white knuckle blasting down the trails.

Many used ones will be beat to death but there are some good buys if you hunt around.

If buying new, take a look at the Kawasaki Teryx if you're into doing any serious four wheeling. Plus they have a reasonable payload for chores around the homestead and a bigger motor than the Rhino. The stance is a little larger than the Rhino but it's still more sport than work.

I'm looking for more lite work and convenience between fields. I'm not a big trail rider. So far the ads I've seen are beat to death or within $100 of a new unit. I'll see if there is a Kawasaki dealer close by and look at them.

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #8  
I have a 2008 Polaris Ranger 700 that i use on the place . It will get up and scoot about 50mph running field to field ,Haul about a half ton , and pull a 10 ft disk to till the garden . All in all i don't know how i lived as long as i did without one , and i wouldn't want the small sized one for what i do with mine .

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #9  
Polaris has a battery powered UTV which has been well reviewed here.

/ Decided I need (want) a UTV #10  
I bought a 2014 Polaris RANGER Midsize 570 efi....We use it at our lake house to run people and stuff up and down a steep lakeside lot in east TN. I have had 5 adults onboard and still had no issues traversing the 37% slope.

I have taken it trail riding twice and it suits my needs for occisional trail machine.
Mine will fit inside a 8 ft truck bed if needed.

happy with our decision to buy the Polaris.