Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule?

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule? #1  

westtx28

Tractor
Kubota L3800
Trying to keep the background short:
I've gotten by for 15 years with a lifted 2wd electric golf cart for moving myself and tools around the property for typical farm chores. Other than new batteries a couple of times I have been happy and spoiled with it's 100% reliability. We just purchased some undeveloped land about 10 miles away that we are doing some clearing work on for fences, future shop, etc. I've got a tractor for the heavy work but have been using my golf cart to move tools around and pull a utility trailer with cut brush and wood chips. The problem is I can use it for a day but have to haul it back to the house to charge. It's time to break down and purchase a gas UTV that I can leave at the other property for extended periods.

What I'm looking for:
I've test driven a Mule 610 and Ranger 400 at my local dealer. In researching the internet the overwhelming opinion seems to be in favor of the Rangers. It was great but I couldn't believe how loud it was. The sales guy and me were practically yelling during the test drive. The Mule was a lot quieter. Being happy with the capabilities of that old golf cart I'm not looking for speed or off-road capabilities. I just want a reliable workhouse that I can use and abuse for another 15 years. I considered another golf cart based vehicle in gas but for roughly the same price that seemed stupid. I also really want a bench seat instead of two buckets.

My Question:
Mule 610 is around 7K, Ranger 400 around 8K. I hate to spend too much more than that. I'm really thinking that while the Ranger is faster and more capable a machine for my intended use the Kawasaki is a better fit. Are there any 610 owners out there that are unhappy with them or had trouble with reliability?

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule? #2  
Sorry to throw another option at you, but I'm in the same situation as you, upgrading from a golf cart.

Have you seen the new Honda Pioneer 500? It's still 50" wide, has manageable power, and I believe it still has the convertible bed with 2 rumble seats for passengers, although I don't know for sure?
It's price is around 8k as well. I like that it has an electric shift 5 speed transmission so you can control what gear your in. It also has Honda reliability. I do wish it had more power, but you may not care for that.

It should be out this fall, it's still brand new as a 2015 model year.

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule? #3  
I bought my 2009 model RTV 900 Kubota for not much more than what you are looking at ($8500) in 2010 with only 60 hours on it. That is a rare deal but can be had. It has a glass windshield, plastic canopy top, front mount winch, 4 WD and a hydraulic dump bed. It is also diesel so it burns very little fuel and has a 3 speed transmission with rear differential lock and ATV tires so it goes well in mud. With front and rear quick hitches, I have a ball hitch on front and rear which is handy for moving and backing my boat trailer (use the front ball for easy backing up)

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule? #4  
Sorry to throw another option at you, but I'm in the same situation as you, upgrading from a golf cart. Have you seen the new Honda Pioneer 500? It's still 50" wide, has manageable power, and I believe it still has the convertible bed with 2 rumble seats for passengers, although I don't know for sure? It's price is around 8k as well. I like that it has an electric shift 5 speed transmission so you can control what gear your in. It also has Honda reliability. I do wish it had more power, but you may not care for that. It should be out this fall, it's still brand new as a 2015 model year.

Do those new 500's come with a bed? The ones I've seen had a rear rack and that was it.

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule?
Have you seen the new Honda Pioneer 500?
Thanks for that reply. I have not seen the Honda 500. It looks a little more recreation than utility but it is interesting. The website shows a prototype cargo tray and cargo box in the the accessories. A bed would be nice even it it didn't dump. I need it for tools and stuff. I'd ditch the plastic doors. I do like the idea of the 5 speed transmission and it has EFI. (I've gone back and forth on EFI vs carb but that's a whole other debate I don't want to get into here).

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule? #6  
Price out the Polaris Ranger 570 too. It's a pretty good step up from the 400, same size just more features. It would be between the 400,570, mule 610 and rtv 500 for me for the uses you stated.

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule? #7  
We have golf carts and a Kubota RTV500. The RTV isnt super fast, but its as fast as our golf carts and it does everything we want to do.

Aaron Z

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule? #8  
I have a gas golf cart and a mule 610 trans. The mule is a work horse. and built super strong. I don't think you could wear one out. In 4x4 with differential locked it will go almost anywhere. I use the cart for quick trips to the barn and gates ect but if I need to build fence or do real work I use the mule.

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule? #9  
West, it looks like it is not a regular bed on the Pioneer 500, I didn't catch that at first. Also, I thought it had the rumble style seats for passengers but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about that.

/ Help graduating from a golf cart. Kawasaki Mule?
Piston, I've been reading about the Pioneer 500. The factory cargo box or strapping a general cargo box may be a better deal. I never haul material in the bed. Just tools, gear and stuff. That would all stay dry in a rain.