Buying Utility Vehicle Help

/ Buying Utility Vehicle Help #1  

photonsforever

Tractor
Ford/Jubilee and 3000
It's about time to look in to a Utility Vehicle. I haven't test drove anything yet but have been researching. We have a small 'Hobby Farm' and would like this UTV to help around the farm but also take in the woods. The trails are nothing crazy but I don't want to get stuck either. I don't really care much about speed or a ton of power. I will probably pull a trailer around some with it. I have looked in to the Mule 610, Kubota RTV400/500, Polaris 570, Honda 500/700 and Arctic Cat Prowler 500 HDX. All dealers are semi close by. I have a Kubota Tractor and have had good luck with the dealership. I haven't heard anything good or bad about the other dealers. I'm happy with my Kubota Tractor but the review on the RTV's seems like it is great for work but not so much in the woods. Any good or bad opinions on the ones listed? Thanks

I like the John Deere 825 but think it's out of my price range

Last edited:
   / Buying Utility Vehicle Help #2  
I just bought a Kubota 1120d. I run it around the woods and all over my property. It's not fast but it has been a real work hours.

What I really wanted was that all black Gator 825i. It looked very cool but when the deere dealers started inflating the price so they could show a discount, I immediately went back to Kubota.

Anything you've mentioned will be good for work, but it is hard to get one that will do both.

/ Buying Utility Vehicle Help #3  
If you have any mud in your trails I would avoid the Kubota. The RTV 500 I had did great the first several months I owned it but then the drought ended, we didn't have crazy mud but some soft areas...I spent most of my time winching it out. Then I figured it was my worksite tires so I purchased the Kubota "atv" tires and rims to give it another go....they weren't any better. Between the 3wd, very low ground clearance, weight and the hydro transmissions slow response the machine sucks in mud. A lot of guys will tell you how great they go in all conditions but mine sure didn't, Berretaman92 (??) purchased a 500 and put tracks on it...that one looked impressive because the tracks lifted it up several inches and he gained a ton of footprint but tracks are another over 1/2 the purchase price of the machine and make trailer a pain as well as slow you down even further.

Of the choices listed I would go with the Polaris 570 it's a great size and has good power as well as true 4wd. It will do both work and play, don't believe guys when they say you need a hydro to do any work. My Gator 825i is belt drive and is an animal pulling, hauling wood and plowing snow...the Boss V plow on it weighs over 400 lbs and hangs way out the front, I also put 600 lbs of ballast in the bed and my Gator doesn't notice any of it. Hauling firewood I filled the dump bed and then strapped two 40' x 10" logs to the back and proceeded to pull them through the trails to get them to the wood pile. I never wanted for more power, never slipped my belt and never came close to getting stuck....CVT transmissions work and that is why most every manufacturer is using them. The 825i is a great machine but it is very expensive...because the dealer is very close it was worth the cost to me but it really is very expensive. I am impressed that JD offers the extended warranty on their machine for an extra 2 yrs though...it shows they have good confidence in their product, I see a lot of Gators on the trail up here now because they can hang with the sport utvs....I've only seen 1 RTV in the woods ever up here and he was going extremely slow because the ride was hammering him on the rocky stuff.

/ Buying Utility Vehicle Help #4  
My Gator 825i is belt drive and is an animal pulling, hauling wood and plowing snow...t
....CVT transmissions work and that is why most every manufacturer is using them. The 825i is a great machine but it is very expensive...because the dealer is very close it was worth the cost to me but it really is very expensive. I am impressed that JD offers the extended warranty on their machine for an extra 2 yrs though...it shows they have good confidence in their product, I see a lot of Gators on the trail up here now because they can hang with the sport utvs....I've only seen 1 RTV in the woods ever up here and he was going extremely slow because the ride was hammering him on the rocky stuff.

I agree with DixieDog...and do consider the 825i's diesel version too...this is the 855D. Pretty much identical to the 825i except for the engine...maybe the CVT gearing to take best advantage of the differences between the gas and diesel engines' HP and torque curves.

/ Buying Utility Vehicle Help #5  
I own a 2014 Polaris 570 midsize We bought it for traversing a steep lot carrying people and gear. It has excedded our expectations. We once had 5 adults piled on and it pulled the hill safely. We have since decided not to do that way but for a light work/trail rig its great. We did tke it in the tn mtns for s trail ride and it handled the trails/mud good as well.

/ Buying Utility Vehicle Help #6  
I have a Kubota 900 and its used for pulling my gang mowers and for hauling tools, saws, fuel ect. in the woods. I get into some really bad places in the woods carrying upwards of 200 gallon of fuel at a time for fuel ups on equipment. Mud's no real problem. I would'nt consider any other machine. This machine is no speed demon, it rides a little hard when empty but no different than any of our machines. As for a work horse, that's what it's made for, work. . . . . John

/ Buying Utility Vehicle Help
Thanks to everybody for their replies. GREAT info. After reading all above let me ask what would be your choice of vehicle with the price:

1. 2014 Polaris 570 - $10,000 with a top
2. 2014 Arctic Cat Prowler 500 HDX - $8500 with a top
3. 2015 Kawasaki Mule 610XC - $8500 with a top
4. 2014 John Deere 825i - $12000 with a top, power bed lift and front brushguard
5. 2014 Honda 700 - - $10,000 with a top

Thanks again to everybody!

/ Buying Utility Vehicle Help #8  
This is what I chose. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/287792-electric-polaris-ranger.html

PB090001.JPG
PB090005.jpg

PB090007.JPG
PB090011.JPG

Paid $6,000 plus trade in (the Bobcat 2200 diesel).

/ Buying Utility Vehicle Help
I may have to consider this one. Thanks!

/ Buying Utility Vehicle Help #10  
not sure what top you are getting but I paid <8700 for my 570 midsize.

Im sure the EV is a good machine but batteries will need replacement.