Plowing with UTVs

/ Plowing with UTVs #1  

bgall

Tractor
n/a
This will be my first post on the forums and after reading a lot of the post some of you guys or women post, it really looks like you all know what your talking about. Which leads me to my questions. I'm looking at getting a UTV to mostly just plow my driveway, which is about 200ft long and maybe do a couple of other peoples driveways. I started looking at some of the different brands that make UTVs, I.e. John Deere, Kubota, and Bobcats Toolcat (Very pricey). Im really leaning towards a Kubota but wondering really if any of these UTVs could handle a storm like Juno? So my question is could a UTV handle a storm like Juno? Thank you.

/ Plowing with UTVs #2  
Welcome. I am sure someone on here can help with your question.

/ Plowing with UTVs #3  
Welcome, Yes they certainly can but generally to have to keep up with the storm. I usually don't let the snow go over 8 inches or so and then plow, then repeat as it goes. You get the job done quickly enough that a few passes isn't much of an inconvenience.

Generally the 4x4 diesels are heavy enough that traction usually isn't an issue (isn't for me anyway) and tires are a factor..I run ATV tires on mine.

I've plowed over a foot of reasonably dry snow with great success. It's the heavy wet stuff and the grade that you on that can cause problems although it's doable too, just takes longer.

Also they type of plow can have an impact..The ones I've had on my UTV's have been fairly heavy and that helps with "ride-up" that you'll see quads doing when the snow is too deep.

There are 'V" plows and the like but they are certainly an investment and not necessary for everyone. They are nice though.

I maintain a 1200' right of way and 250 feet of driveway in addition to 9 or so other driveways in the 100' -200' range and have had no problems.

Good luck..

/ Plowing with UTVs #4  
welcome! I don't do snow, so will let others answer that.

However, I will say my RTV 1140 has great traction and immense power in low range 4wd. I would think that the Kubota HST transmission would be excellent in slick conditions. The Kubota RTV is a true work machine.

/ Plowing with UTVs #5  
We just got 24" of snow on Tuesday.....I did plow in 2 intervals to clear the drive for a vehicles arrival. The first time I plowed there was 16-18" of snow in the driveway, my 825i handled it like it was a dusting. Stacking snow well over 6' high, the 825i is an absolute animal plowing. It is fairly heavy, has true 4WD making it nearly impossible to get stuck and it's got plenty of HP to get the job done. Contrary to what many would have you believe the CVT transmission works beautifully for plowing, it helps keep your engine in the power band while you're moving snow.

DSCF0840_zps0f71c71a.jpg

I did invest in the Boss hydraulic V plow last year and it was a great purchase....the plow works much better than smaller blades I've tried in the past when you get to the really deep stuff. The plow blade is 27" high compared to the 16" or so most UTV plow blades are so you don't get the spillage other blades do even in the deep stuff. The ability to scoop can't be overstated either, it cuts your plowing time down significantly and allows you to clean up better than a straight blade in my opinion.

The Kubota RTV 500 I had did a decent job plowing too but it did run out of power in really deep or wet snow, the Gator doesn't break a sweat with it. The deepest snow I've plowed with it in a single shot was 20" and it performed great...the Gator is a machine that can work whenever you need it but is also built to be comfortable on the trails, it has a far more advanced long travel suspension compared to the Kubotas Iv'e seen and driven.

/ Plowing with UTVs #6  
I have plowed with both a Ranger 700 and an Arctic Cat 500, both will do the job but.... In my experience, when plowing, you must always consider the need to plow way more wider than you need to ensure that as the winter progresses, you have room to push the snow. My first year, by spring, my driveway needed a blower as the plow could not overcome the bank height. My driveway was starting to look more like a tunnel. Now, I mainly use a blower on big snow and the plow for light duty, quick cleans.

/ Plowing with UTVs #7  
My BIL just put a plow on a 2014 Yamaha Rhino,very nice set-up.I used to plow with my ATV and it only weighed about 600#;the Rhino is twice that weight and has a bigger motor.As stated no problem as long as you push your banks back before they freeze solid.

/ Plowing with UTVs
Thanks for all the help!! Im looking at some used Gators 825i now. Whatever utv i get though I will be getting the Boss V-plow

/ Plowing with UTVs #9  
I have a RTV-X900 with the Boss Power V-XT plow and the two together are made for clearing snow! I have the worksite tires and I am astounded at the traction. I plow over a mile of dirt road with more than 300 vertical feet of elevation change - two areas in particular are fairly steep - and the machine has yet to get stuck or slow down. I also have a F-350 with dually chains and a 9 foot blade, but the RTV has been my "fun" machine. It is especially good for clean-up and stacking snow in tight places. I had myself ready to rationalize getting chains for the RTV, but now I know I don't need them.

/ Plowing with UTVs #10  
This is my set up and I love it a cab is they way to go heat and Ac is awesome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    973.1 KB · Views: 1,246