Interesting Failure Today

/ Interesting Failure Today #1  

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
We've had our share of snow in the past three weeks, it will warm up enough to make a muddy mess, rain then refreeze and snow some more. I've honestly lost count of how much we've had over all. Yesterday it got up in the 50's melting most of what snow was left and causing some minor flooding. Today we had some rain, freezing rain and a light flurries by lunch time.

This afternoon I went to start the RTV to let it warm up while I scraped the 1/4" of ice off the windshield. After the glow plugs did their thing it started right up, ran rough for a few seconds and died. Hit glow plugs again and gave it a little throttle while cranking. Started fine but again wouldn't idle well after I let off the throttle, however it was still running. The slower than normal idle made me think it was trying to gel up.

Get out to go find my Diesel 911 then instantly smell burning rubber. Turn the switch off and the engine continued to run. I raise the dump bed to see what's going on and the fan belt is smoking! Try the key again and it still won't shut off.

I am now realizing that I've never bothered to look at the shut off solenoid to see how it works and if it can be manually manipulated. I decided it will be quicker to pull the air filter and stuff my glove in the intake hose.

With the metal clasps undone wouldn't you know the d@*n cover is frozen onto the air filter housing! I step back and give it a love tap with my size 12, cover comes off, yank the filters and stuff a glove in the intake. It dies in half a second.

I step around to the other side with smoke still coming from the belt, just in time to see and hear it snap in half. While it seemed like a 10 minute ordeal it probably lasted less than a minute from start up to belt failure.

Now how did this happen?

Remember the flood waters from yesterday? I had to drive through some standing water when I went to check cows just before dark. Not a lot, maybe 2-3" at most. That combined with what water drips between the bed and roll bar had formed a nice glaze of ice over the front of the motor. This had frozen the belt solid to the pulley which caused enough drag to make it idle rough, smoke the belt and freeze the fuel shut off.

As far as I can remember the belt is the original with just shy of 1100 hours on it. It's probably due one anyway.

Now that the belt is gone both the fan and alternator turn free by hand.

Anyone else ever have a similar situation or am I the only one with such luck?

:rolleyes:

/ Interesting Failure Today
Meant to say it is a Kubota RTV 900.

Trying to add pics but the app keeps freezing. :mad:

/ Interesting Failure Today #3  
Never had that happen but can certainly see how it could if stored outdoors..Glad that no lasting damage was done.

/ Interesting Failure Today #4  
Good save! Things could of got outa hand.

/ Interesting Failure Today #5  
Quick thinking, many people would not have been able to figure out how to shut it down. thinking fuel and air you made the right move. May next belt change be less exciting.

/ Interesting Failure Today #6  
I have always wondered if one could suffocate a diesel like that.

/ Interesting Failure Today #8  
Meant to say it is a kubota RTV 900.

Trying to add pics but the app keeps freezing.

Must have gotten the phone wet too ! :laughing:

/ Interesting Failure Today #9  
A dumb question most likely ... but ... why wouldn't the engine turn off with the key? How does the belt issue allow the engine to start but not shut off?

MoKelly

/ Interesting Failure Today #10  
A dumb question most likely ... but ... why wouldn't the engine turn off with the key? How does the belt issue allow the engine to start but not shut off?
He said that the fuel shutoff solenoid was iced up, that will keep it from moving enough to shut the fuel off.

Aaron Z