Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Hello ... Looking for a work machine for my wife. Something to truck around feed, water, straw, garden supplies, rocks, firewood, etc.

I'm not really familiar with all of the offerings, and hoping someone can narrow down some contenders ... And rank them as well.

Here's the requirements:

4x4
2 seater.
Open station.
Dump bed.
Good payload & towing.
Slow ... Not looking for speed.
Price (low) and good financing (cash poor at the moment).
Reliability.
Ease of maintenance.
Easy to operate.

I'm most familiar with the JD units, and was leaning towards the Gator HDX. JD website says it's around $9500 msrp, but not sure on retail price. Was gonna go look today at my local dealer but they're closed Sunday's.

Which machines would compare directly with the Gator so I know which to look for? And what are some of the prices I should expect to see?

Thanks in advance!

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please #2  
I am not experienced with all the options, but from your criteria ( exactly the criteria list I had) I suggest you look at the Kubota RTV's. Perhaps a bit more than your price range, but everything else matches. Diesel, sips fuel, great payload (1100 lbs), hydraulic dump, not fast, but great power, HST with fantastic engine/ transmission braking, creeping capable, great pulling power, 60/40 seating, independent suspension all around, etc. etc. I have the RTV-X900 and love it. Easy maintenance, great engineering and fairly quiet!

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please #3  
Do you care if gas or diesel?
I have a Ranger but Wouldnt recommend for your application.

My BIL has a Mule.. Might be the ticket for you.

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please #4  
When I bought my Mule, back in the early 2000s there were scant choices in this market. Now everybody and his brother makes something like this. I am sure, they are all not created equal. But how do you weed out the good from the bad? A warning though. Repairs on these things are astronomical! They are a very usefull, fun and friendly means of getting around and performing chores. But heaven help you, if you abuse the thing or worse use it to move snow. The hydrostats are obviously better in the heavier use category, but there is still the issue of the front driveline.

Although I have a Diesel Mule, I am kind of sniffing around for an Electric Gator in addition to. The Mule (Diesel) is kind of Noisy, and after a day of listening to various Diesel Engines, it might be nice to have a nice quiet drive and sneak up on some turtles sunbathing.

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please #5  
Gravely makes a UTV now. Designed just for work?, they are not cheap. Supposed to have a higher towing and payload capacity. They are made here locally, so everybody around here thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Utility Vechicles

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please #6  
Whatever you buy, you'll get what you paid for. Not sure your idea of a good price will coincide with a good work UTV. I'm not even sure you are ready to commit the kind of money it'll take to buy something worthwhile. We'll see. :)

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please #7  
That Gravely looks a nice unit. I always recommend a Kubota or a Mule for someone looking for a work UTV. I have a RTV and my brother has a Mule. We have both been very happy with them- they have handled more than the listed capacities many times. The Mule is 13 years old and the RTV is 2. Neither has and any needs besides routine maintenance.

Will

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please
Whatever you buy, you'll get what you paid for. Not sure your idea of a good price will coincide with a good work UTV. I'm not even sure you are ready to commit the kind of money it'll take to buy something worthwhile. We'll see. :)

What is that supposed to mean? I've added about $75k in new bills in the last 14 months building up my equipment inventory for my business ... The well is getting a bit dry!

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please #9  
I have a 2009 Kubota RTV500 with 350 hours on it i bought for my wife, it is a two seater open, gas engine. I paid 8200 for it new and have had no problems with it. It starts in 0 degree weather just fine, it has a steel bed that i wanted, not sold on plastic, i plow snow with it. Its not big and not a diesel and thats what i wanted. Worth a look, i do not like the RTV400 , looks like a lawn motor with a belt but its cheaper.

/ Work UTV ... narrow down some choices please
I have a 2009 Kubota RTV500 with 350 hours on it i bought for my wife, it is a two seater open, gas engine. I paid 8200 for it new and have had no problems with it. It starts in 0 degree weather just fine, it has a steel bed that i wanted, not sold on plastic, i plow snow with it. Its not big and not a diesel and thats what i wanted. Worth a look, i do not like the RTV400 , looks like a lawn motor with a belt but its cheaper.

I looked at the RTV500 today. The bed seemed really small. I think the specs show the payload at only 441 lbs. Looked like a nice machine, but I'd want a bigger bed and more payload.