Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious.

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious. #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I bought a Diesel Mule, in the early 2000s. It did not come with a electric bed lift. I found this a bit of a nuisance and decided to add the OEM electric/hydraulic unit. It didn't take me long to realize that this thing could lift almost nothing of any significance. First load, some heavy elm firewood. NOTHING! What a let down. I mean, it's still handy for light stuff, cleaning out the box and lifting the bed to make refueling easier.

So I am curious. Is this normal for a Kawaski Mule? Is it normal for other electric/hydraulic power pack type lifts? The payload of the Mule is something like one thousand pounds if I remember correctly, so shouldn't a lift, lift that? I am guessing that hydrostatic UTVs have power to spare for such an application.

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious. #2  
My Kubota RTV1140 (two rows of seats and back seat folds away to increase bed size) has never stuttered lifting a bed full and running over with gravel and big rocks. Hydraulic, not electric.

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious. #3  
Our Gator HPX is electric/hydraulic and has been able to dump everything we've put into the bed- gravel, sand, etc. I built a plywood box that is as tall as the top of the ROPS to discharge the wood chipper into, and it dumps that full of even green wood chips.

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious. #4  
My RTV is only stopped by a full load of firewood- I am sure it is a face cord or maybe better- somewhere around 1700 lbs., way more than listed capacity. It will dump when loaded like that if I give it just a little help by lifting up with one hand on the dump to get it started.

Will

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious. #5  
I believe the RTV-X900 is rated for 1100 lbs in the bed. I've had a hugh loads of stone and firewood in mine and it hasn't labored lifting and dumping either. It is quite amazing.

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious. #6  
Lift on my 825i is 1000 lbs it's an electric over hydraulic system.....works great in my gator the payload is 1400 lbs so it will dump a bed of just about anything. I've filled it with wood, rocks and blocks with no problems dumping.

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious. #7  
I have an '06 RTV900. If it will fit in the bed the hydraulics will dump it. Rocks, concrete, wood, dirt, hay rolls, limestone, whatever.

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious. #8  
Second on the Kubota RTV 900, never bats an eye at any crazy load.

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious.
I wonder if there is a relief valve on those electric hydraulic packs. Or is it possible that the oil is too thin? I use JD low viscosity in just about everything so I probably put it in there too.

The Mule uses a kind of scissor action lift in conjunction with the cylinder. I suspect this lessens the capacity of the cylinder.

/ Utility Vehicle Bed Lift Capacity, Just curious. #10  
My Kubota RTV1140 (two rows of seats and back seat folds away to increase bed size) has never stuttered lifting a bed full and running over with gravel and big rocks. Hydraulic, not electric.

Likewise for my RTV1140.