2004 John Deere HPX 4x4 Gator Will Not Start

/ 2004 John Deere HPX 4x4 Gator Will Not Start #1  

JohnDeereF1145Guy

Tractor
John Deere F1145
Hello, I have taken on the task of fixing a HPX gator 4x4 for a family friend. I believe it is a 2004 model and it has the 20hp carbed liquid cooled Kawasaki FD620D V-twin. It has 500 hours on it. It has not ran since last summer and has been sitting outside all year long. I just started working on it. The battery was dead and I charged it. It also had water in the gas so I siphoned out the entire tank and replaced it with fresh 93 octane. The electric fuel pump was not pumping so I installed a working used one. I have fuel at the carb. I also checked for spark and I get a spark from both plugs. Here is the problem, it will not fire when cranking. I could sit there and crank all day long and it acts like it has no spark and wets the plugs. I played with it for 2 hours today and I cannot get it to run. I need some help here.

/ 2004 John Deere HPX 4x4 Gator Will Not Start #2  
Hello, I have taken on the task of fixing a HPX gator 4x4 for a family friend. I believe it is a 2004 model and it has the 20hp carbed liquid cooled Kawasaki FD620D V-twin. It has 500 hours on it. It has not ran since last summer and has been sitting outside all year long. I just started working on it. The battery was dead and I charged it. It also had water in the gas so I siphoned out the entire tank and replaced it with fresh 93 octane. The electric fuel pump was not pumping so I installed a working used one. I have fuel at the carb. I also checked for spark and I get a spark from both plugs. Here is the problem, it will not fire when cranking. I could sit there and crank all day long and it acts like it has no spark and wets the plugs. I played with it for 2 hours today and I cannot get it to run. I need some help here.

You can put a sniff of starter fluid in the intake to check for spark. These things are notorious for too lean of an idle circuit and they get clogged. You'll probably have to remove carb and clean. There is no snake oil that will clean it. Take a fine wire and poke it through the very small hole in the intake runner right where the butterfly valve closes at the small aperture.

/ 2004 John Deere HPX 4x4 Gator Will Not Start #4  
I find a torch tip cleaning kit works very well on cleaning out these tiny holes

/ 2004 John Deere HPX 4x4 Gator Will Not Start #6  
Did you ever get it running?

Reading some other posts online, the ignition igniter box $305 is often the culprit. Now our gator is out with similar symptoms, just hate having to pay so much for some spark.

I will post back if and when I buy one, and if it fixes it....

/ 2004 John Deere HPX 4x4 Gator Will Not Start #7  
Mine did the same thing to the previous owner. It was indeed the ignition module. I replaced it for him and it fired right up. Do make sure the clear vent line that comes off the top of the carb is not stopped up!

/ 2004 John Deere HPX 4x4 Gator Will Not Start #8  
Mine did the same thing to the previous owner. It was indeed the ignition module. I replaced it for him and it fired right up. Do make sure the clear vent line that comes off the top of the carb is not stopped up!

/ 2004 John Deere HPX 4x4 Gator Will Not Start #9  
Well.after 6 months, we finally got a new ignition for it, and it fired right up. Now we need new tires. Here is a pic of the box it came in. A.Kawasaki part with a Deere label over the kawi label. IMG_20160417_100721976.jpg

/ 2004 John Deere HPX 4x4 Gator Will Not Start #10  
I put the picture to show that the
Kawi 21119-2160= Deere AM132577
I have been able to find the Kawi part discounted online.