John Deere Electric Gators. Any Experts Out There?

/ John Deere Electric Gators. Any Experts Out There? #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I am thinking about adding a John Deere Electric Gator to my fleet.

Can someone enlighten me as to their evolution?

I only notice that the Beds seem to have gone from Metal to what looks largely plastic on the
newer ones.

Where there other differences? Were they all 48 volt? This is of the utmost importance to me.

Have the motors and control circuits changed at all. Are some better? Some to avoid?

Thanks

/ John Deere Electric Gators. Any Experts Out There? #3  
The 2WD and low ground clearance would not work for me. The 15mph top speed is OK because I use the Max range position on my Polaris most of the time, but I like to have the 25mph high speed at times.

Mine is a 48 volt system, but has a 650 amp three phase AC, 30 horsepower motor.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...87792-electric-polaris-ranger.html?highlight=

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P8050006.JPG
    P8050006.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 2,830
  • P9190061.JPG
    P9190061.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 3,390
  • PB190015.JPG
    PB190015.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 2,754
   / John Deere Electric Gators. Any Experts Out There?
I had no idea! I was going to ask if besides golf carts, there wee any other electic UTV makes, but I thought I knew the answer to that. Got any pictures of the whole thing?

That thing looks expensive and I really only need a secondary UTV having one already. JD Gators are pretty basic 2WD, no cage, no cammo or flames so I was hoping to get one fairly cheap. A friend says they keep turning them over at a Golf course he is affiliated with, but I havn't seen one come my way yet!

I have a big 3000 watt 220 inverter as a back up for my backup for my back up generators or for light night time draw, and it has a pile of 48 volt batteries that I keep charged, so I figured a 48 volt vehicle could make double use of one set of batteries and free up the space where the batteries sit..

/ John Deere Electric Gators. Any Experts Out There? #5  

Attachments

• P8060011.JPG
    P8060011.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 2,998
  • PB090001.JPG
    PB090001.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 3,161
  • PB090007.JPG
    PB090007.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 2,939
What is the list on something like that?

What made you go electric?

/ John Deere Electric Gators. Any Experts Out There? #7  
I am curious whos control they used. I doubt they designed one of their own. Many forklifts use 3 phase motor drives.

How do you find battery life, as in daily useage? Ever run out? Are they using standard golf cart batteries?

/ John Deere Electric Gators. Any Experts Out There? #9  
I am curious whos control they used. I doubt they designed one of their own. Many forklifts use 3 phase motor drives.

Sevcon

How do you find battery life, as in daily useage? Ever run out? Are they using standard golf cart batteries?
No problem with battery life for us, just plug in the onboard charger when they get down around 25% on the battery indicator.

Polaris claims a 50 mile range in the Max Range mode, but I think they left out "downhill with a strong tail wind". :laughing:

It uses 8, 12 volt deep cycle batteries. Two banks of 4 in series connected in parallel to get 48 volts.

/ John Deere Electric Gators. Any Experts Out There? #10  
I have both a golf cart with a flip seat on the back that makes a flatbed and also have an RTV. The golf cart goes anywhere I want to go and will haul a lot of stuff, just not heavy stuff. The RTV does the heavy hauling and pulls trailers around.
If two wheel drive and electric will work for you, the golf cart and flip seat would be a lot less $$$$ than the green paint.