Where is the ignitor located?

/ Where is the ignitor located? #1  

tim0

Tractor
4x2 gator
Hello, I have a 10 hp Kawasaki engine on my 1997 4x2 Gator. I believe the ignitor is bad, but haven't been able to locate it on the engine. The engine ID is FE290DCS08, and the Gator serial number is W004X2X020598.

According to the technical manual for the engine, the ignitor is located on top of the engine, at about the center of the engine. On my engine, the ignitor is not there. A model of the engine does exist where the ignitor is built into the coil, but on my model, the coil and ignitor are supposed to be separate (also I've looked at my engine's coil, and it looks like the one without the ignitor. The coil resistance also tested good at the two testing points).

The symptoms of the problem are that the Gator runs normally until it after it has been run for about 15-20 minutes. Then it stalls and will not restart until it cools for awhile. I've checked the fuel pump, including all the hoses, and replaced the spark plug, air cleaner and fuel filter. Shortly before the problem began, I had also changed the engine oil, and I can't remember if I used 30W (which I normally use) or 5W-30.

The spark (using a screwdriver from inside the spark plug cap to the engine) appears a little weak, even when it's running okay. That's why I think the ignitor is bad.

I'd appreciate anyone's help with this.

Last edited:
   / Where is the ignitor located?
To update my post, I bought a coil and ignitor last Friday. Today I returned those parts, and bought the coil with the integrated ignitor. Since I've already reassembled the air filter housing and engine cover, I'll have the enjoyment of taking it all back apart now. I hope this is the part I need.

/ Where is the ignitor located? #3  
Welcome to the forum. I don't have that mower, but I do have a 2 cylinder Craftsman. Also have 2 Kawasaki motorcycles and worked on many more in my side business, motorcycle repair shop. The deal is I have never heard of an "ignitor," so I cannot really help you.

/ Where is the ignitor located?
Thanks anyway (and it's not a mower, it's a "UTV").

/ Where is the ignitor located? #5  
I am having the same problem with the same motor. Did you get yours fixed?