kubota rtv 900 front axle cv joint replacement

/ kubota rtv 900 front axle cv joint replacement #1  

tanderson7773

Tractor
kubota
The boot on the front left wheel had torn and I heard a growling in 4 wheel drive when I turn the steering wheel. It is normal going straight. I don't know much but figured the bearing in the cup at the left wheel was bad and so was the boot. I have taken it all apart and the joint grabs a little when going up and down. I thought I would buy the cup, bearing and boot online to save the fortune that Kubota wanted for the cup, bearing, boot, and front axle shaft.

My problem is how do I get the front axle shaft removed from the bearing in the cup? The cir clip must be on the inside and how can I remove it so I can reuse the front axle and save a bunch of money? How do you put the cir clip back in the inside of the bearing and cup? It is a mystery to me. THank you.

/ kubota rtv 900 front axle cv joint replacement #2  
I have the same problem. How much does Kubota want for the replacement unit?

/ kubota rtv 900 front axle cv joint replacement
I have the same problem. How much does Kubota want for the replacement unit?

Did some more research yesterday. The joint unit is 315.00 which is pretty outrageous. The straight axle can be removed by using a press or by striking the race of the bearing to loosen the cir clip. The straight axle can be replaced by putting the cir clip in the indented area of the straight axle and inserting the axle into the bearing the cir clip compresses and then pops out on the other side of the bearing holding the axle in place. Found this out yesterday and am going to try it today. Hope this helps us both.

/ kubota rtv 900 front axle cv joint replacement #4  
Hey can you guys post some pics of what you all are up against?

How many hours on your RTV's, curious here.

For me it is the joint/boot by the left front wheel. It is pretty straight forward once you start taking it apart. It is a lot of work. I am not picture capable but there are some good videos that show you what to do on the internet. What they don't show is that the straight axle that goes into the joint removal. It is sold as a unit by Kubota but online you can buy just the cup and bearing. It was a mystery to me how to get the cir clip out from the inside of the cup. I already posted the solution.

riptides....I am at 800 hours. It pretty much is my fault. I ripped the boot awhile back and just duct taped it. I did not want to spend the money to get it repaired and did not fell comfortable doing the work myself. I have fixed a lot more things and felt more comfortable tackling it now.

/ kubota rtv 900 front axle cv joint replacement #7  
Ok thanks, I had heard some issues with "drive shafts, axles, bearings and whatnot" and am just wondering if it is normal wear and tear or other. Thanks for the information and good luck on the repair. I hope you post back with your success!

/ kubota rtv 900 front axle cv joint replacement #8  
There are HD upgrades for some of the 900 series . The overly aggressive transmission braking was beating the original driveline bearings to bits.
Have you adjusted or updated the transmission relief valve?

/ kubota rtv 900 front axle cv joint replacement #9  
There are HD upgrades for some of the 900 series . The overly aggressive transmission braking was beating the original driveline bearings to bits.
Have you adjusted or updated the transmission relief valve?

I adjusted the By-Pass relief valve linkage and added a Coast Valve. No dramatic stops, don't use the dash knob anymore.

/ kubota rtv 900 front axle cv joint replacement #10  
I have a torn boot.....unknown how long....so I decided to replace entire axle....I hunted around and found axles from AmericanCV for $130 shipping included. It arrived promptly, looks to be quality. Install is next. For the price, I think it's simpler to just replace than repair. Phone order, easy, knowledgeable. Credit card initially refused to allow charge for security reasons. I called MC and explained that I really wished to charge to that company, they fixed it and the charge went thru a few minutes later. Same axle fits all recent Kubota RTV's, all models, right and left axle.

americancv.com