New polaris Side X Side- General

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #1  

Green Power

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4047H, Kubota L33400 JD: 5075E 6150M 9230 and 8520
Looks like a neat side X side, hopefully more reliable than other polaris's.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #2  
No mention of improvement to the cvt belt drive.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #3  
best indication of future performance is past performance...... I went Kawasaki Mule for that reason.... the Pro FXT LE is a great machine for my needs

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #4  

Also no mention of improved/changed suspension moving parts. Still is a "toy" to me. Certainly not a hard working UTV. The young guys will love it though.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #5  

There is nothing wrong with the cvt belt drive. They had decades of testing on snowmobiles which still use those clutches, reliability is not an issue. Like everything else, they need service.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #6  
There is nothing wrong with the cvt belt drive. They had decades of testing on snowmobiles which still use those clutches, reliability is not an issue. Like everything else, they need service.

That very much depends on use. I can smoke a belt on a Polaris in 10 minutes when under severe duress. I'm talking wadded up in a deep ditch trying to climb out, back and forth.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #7  
That very much depends on use. I can smoke a belt on a Polaris in 10 minutes when under severe duress. I'm talking wadded up in a deep ditch trying to climb out, back and forth.

Thats what low gear is for. Ive had mine in deep wet snow, still on original belt 3,400 miles later. Also had it go sideways because i was pushing so much snow, same belt.

Clutches need cleaning and buttons checked.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #8  
Thats what low gear is for. Ive had mine in deep wet snow, still on original belt 3,400 miles later. Also had it go sideways because i was pushing so much snow, same belt.

Clutches need cleaning and buttons checked.

Again, very much depends on use. I don't consider snow plowing as being stressful on the belt. As for low gear, of course it's in low gear.

Problem with Polaris' belt system is when the engine is idling and the machine is sitting still the belt is left to slip against the drive sheave. If the slightest bit of throttle is applied the sheave closes on the belt. If the machine doesn't start moving within the next few seconds the belt gets hot. Some brands, such as Yamaha, use an internal oil clutch to stop the engine sheave from spinning at idle. So no belt slip taking place. Requires enough engine speed to engage the internal clutch that the machine moves with minimal belt slip.

Now understand, there are thousands and thousands of Polaris machines around that haven't experienced belt failure. But they aren't being advertised and sold as a working UTV. In the case of the General, I see nothing that makes it anymore of a workhorse than previous models. I'm sure it's got the same CVT system. I'm also sure it's got the same axle assemblies. And pretty sure that it uses the same moving suspension bushings, tie rods, etc.

/ New polaris Side X Side- General #9  
Again, very much depends on use. I don't consider snow plowing as being stressful on the belt. As for low gear, of course it's in low gear.

Problem with Polaris' belt system is when the engine is idling and the machine is sitting still the belt is left to slip against the drive sheave. If the slightest bit of throttle is applied the sheave closes on the belt. If the machine doesn't start moving within the next few seconds the belt gets hot. Some brands, such as Yamaha, use an internal oil clutch to stop the engine sheave from spinning at idle. So no belt slip taking place. Requires enough engine speed to engage the internal clutch that the machine moves with minimal belt slip.

Now understand, there are thousands and thousands of Polaris machines around that haven't experienced belt failure. But they aren't being advertised and sold as a working UTV. In the case of the General, I see nothing that makes it anymore of a workhorse than previous models. I'm sure it's got the same CVT system. I'm also sure it's got the same axle assemblies. And pretty sure that it uses the same moving suspension bushings, tie rods, etc.

Why would you say that? Snow is just as stressful if not more stressful than mud. The wet clutch system is far from perfect, they sell a wet clutch delete kit. The neutral and park are on the atv for a reason, hour glassing a belt takes a long time, abuse and idiocy are exceptions to every rule.

Dry clutches can take a lot more power than wet clutches. Snowmobiles are proof of this.

Last edited:
   / New polaris Side X Side- General #10  
Don't tell my Polaris's they are unreliable, LOL. Over 800 hours on my 04 Sportsman 500 H.O. of snow plowing and mudding with bigger than stock tires and I'm still on original belt.
My 09 is also on original belt.
if you're smoking belts you're doing something wrong. Or really abusing it.