Adding led lights...relay or not

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #21  
I had to go to the fuse box with the front lights as they drew nearly 25 amps. For the rear lights I tapped into the existing wiring since they only drew 3 amps.

25 is a lot, but I bet those lights work really well.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not
Well....I rummage through a drawer label Truck...and found two relays from a longgggg time ago that I used on some aux lights on a 1979 Ford. So the die is set.

Headlight switch works off key ------> LED switches ------->Fused, relays next to battery --------> LED lights.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #23  
I went with a relay and an aux fuse panel when I installed my LEDs. Love the ability to have the lights on with out engine running for short needs and the key off shutting down the lights. I mounted two switches on the dash, one for the two lights facing forward and the other for the rears. The aux fuse panel allows for easy expansion should I add additional electrical devices.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #24  
Well....
I too am in need of light to "get the tractor to the barn".
I used a Planters Peanut jar (34.5 ounces), ductape and a flashlight to do a "mock up".

IMG_20151120_193018874_HDR.jpg
The concept
IMG_20151120_193423306.jpg
First result
IMG_20151120_193714401.jpg
Components

DCL040 20V MAX* Lithium Ion LED Work Light, 110 lumens.

I've got 3 of the 18 watt LED lights that put out 1200 lumens each, but I've yet to mount them on my M4700. I have not tested how long my flashlight will last but it seems a good interim solution since I have two of them and they run for hours off my DeWalt batteries.

I'm presently working on emptying another peanut jar.

Attachments

• IMG_20151120_193349765_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20151120_193349765_HDR.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20151120_193425776.jpg
    IMG_20151120_193425776.jpg
    782.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20151120_193529131.jpg
    IMG_20151120_193529131.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 159
   / Adding led lights...relay or not #25  
25 is a lot, but I bet those lights work really well.

They do. If I have to mow at night my neighbor (300 yards away) ends up closing the blinds so they can still watch TV. I kind of feel bad about that. But on the other hand there is no guessing where you left off. Here is a video walk-around.

Love the ability to have the lights on with out engine running for short needs and the key off shutting down the lights.
I agree that is nice but I am always fearful that a barn cat will turn the dang things on and run down the battery. Has happened several times with the hazards on my old tractor.

Well....
I too am in need of light to "get the tractor to the barn".
I used a Planters Peanut jar (34.5 ounces), ductape and a flashlight to do a "mock up".
I like how the light is multi-purpose and you can just bring it with you when you close up the barn.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #26  
I agree that is nice but I am always fearful that a barn cat will turn the dang things on and run down the battery. Has happened several times with the hazards on my old tractor.
oh sorry I may not have explained it well... unless your cats are good with keys no issue. With key off, the switches are not powered... with key on, whether engine running or not, there is power to them. One mistake I made was to locate them such that they get easily bumped by my knee. But there is not a lot of real estate on the BX25D dash to mount switches so I guess I didn't have much choice. A pain working in cramped space but I am glad I wired to the ignition switch.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #27  
Gotcha
No, our barn cats don't quite have the key thing down yet.

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #28  
The majority of toggle switches will handle 10 amps at 12 volts DC.
A few major brand names will go 15 amps.
That is for the normal size vs the mini styles.
With most LED systems I would not hesitate to switch direct DC without using any relays.
I even switched dual 3" halogen spots with a standard toggle.

I'm back!
Let me add (qualify), I was a licensed aircraft electronic technician and have wired many aircraft as well as designed major modifications.
I have totally re wired passenger aircraft, and completely updated private planes to modern standards.
I held FAA and Cdn DOT certificates.
LED's are a great thing.
Easy on charging systems, great output, fantastic longevity and save weight etc etc.

The current draws are so low that you can use just about any size wire with the only drawback being physical strength of that wire size.
With just about any LED installation you could go 22 g and still be OK. but for the demands of the rugged environment a tractor lives in I prefer to stay with 16g mainly for the mechanical characteristics (or min 18g)'

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #29  
I'm back!
Let me add (qualify), I was a licensed aircraft electronic technician and have wired many aircraft as well as designed major modifications.
I have totally re wired passenger aircraft, and completely updated private planes to modern standards.
I held FAA and Cdn DOT certificates.
LED's are a great thing.
Easy on charging systems, great output, fantastic longevity and save weight etc etc.

The current draws are so low that you can use just about any size wire with the only drawback being physical strength of that wire size.
With just about any LED installation you could go 22 g and still be OK. but for the demands of the rugged environment a tractor lives in I prefer to stay with 16g mainly for the mechanical characteristics (or min 18g)'

22 gauge for just about any installation?

110V 12V
22 5A 5A
20 7.5A 8A
18 10A 10A
16 13A 20A
14 17A 40A
12 23A 60A
10 33A 100A
8 46A 150A

/ Adding led lights...relay or not #30  
My L4330 has two 25 watt bulbs in front that are blocked by the RR fishplates weights I put on the front weight bar. I plan to replace them with 2 18 wat LED light bars Amazon.com: Signstek 2*18W CREE LED Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor off Road Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (Black): Automotive.

I don't plan to use relays, just disconnect the OEM lights, tie them directly to the LED light bars. Unless I find that Kubota used rediculously small wiring for the headlights that is. Just in case I bought a couple of these when I bought the LED lights, so I'm prepared either way: Amazon.com: Absolute USA 2 In-line ATC Fuse Holder, 2 Relay RLS125 12 VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A and 2 SRS105 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket: Car Electronics

Good luck!