Kubota RTV1100 Concerns

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns #1  

Howell1244

Tractor
Kubota RTV1100
I recently bought a used 2008 Kubota RTV1100 with under 300 hours on it. It's in nearly excellent condition and has been garage kept. I love the machine, especially the enclosed A/C cab in this Texas heat. I use it for various work duties around my house (3 acres), and on two small ranches (family owned, parents' places), nearby. It is a handy piece of equipment with lots of power using it in dry weather for daily duties. I also plan to use it for hunting this fall on a 6000 acre ranch in west Texas. My two main concerns are; 1) the noise it makes. Is it too loud? My first thought when buying this machine was that the deer will get used to hearing it after a while (a few weeks of consistent driving around in it on the ranch), and 2) how well is this 2300 lb vehicle with only 11" of clearance going to do in muddy, hilly terrain? It does fine in this terrain in dry weather. I took it out there and it did great. But, I have not tried it in the mud yet. Can someone tell me about their experiences using it for hunting and using it in muddy terrain? Thanks,

RTV.jpg

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns #2  
I take my RTV 900 in 2wd up and down hills on my place that I won't take my L4330 in 4wd.

I did upgrade to 26x11-12 Blackwater Evolutions however; they look and work great!

RTV, BW Evo tires and the front hill I live on:

IMG_20160409_182441125 (Large).jpgIMG_20160409_182531797 (Large).jpg

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns #3  
You do have to watch for the radiator from getting filled with mud although the water normally would just flow through. They do build winch kits and you will be riding in comfort.

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns #4  
I have a RTV1140 and have for over 5 years. Love it, wife loves it, Grandchildren love it but mud is not it's friend. Check different tires and or winch. I have work tires on mine. Snow is no issue as long as it isn't 2 feet deep.

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns #5  
I agree with everyone else. Get different tires. The RTV is not highly capable offroad. With that said, everyone's perspective/expectations are different.

In your case, definitely add a winch. Also invest in an accessory kit which should include a tree strap, snatch block and a couple clevis'. You will need them.

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns #6  
Welcome to TBN!!!

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns #7  
Biggest issue with RTV in mud is weight and wheel speed. Due to hydro transmission it just can't sling the wheels fast enough to clean tires and keep up momentum.

Of course this is all relative. And depends on how much mud you are trying to go through.

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns #8  
Welcome, and you have a nice looking, barely used RTV. I agree with FTG-05, you will need better tires for mud and as others said get a winch (never thought I would ever use one but I use it quite often). I have two sets of rims and tires. I like the work tires around the farm, the mud tires wear out too quick on the rocky ground and dirt roads I drive on.

I occasionally give in to my buds and hit the trails with them (none of them have RTVs), I hit bottom pretty often in real soft mud but can hold my own if choose my path carefully. The reason they ask for me to tag along is I can carry a lot in the bed and the RTV is pretty good at pulling others out of some really deep mud. But I do that in the comfort of my air conditioned cab.:)

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns #9  
Your tires look to be a bit like mine, GETTING A BIT LOW ON TREAD. My ATV tires like yours used to do well in mud but I now find that I have to switch to 4 WD to go thru places I used to go easily in 2 WD. Get yourself some really aggressive treads on your tires and you will be ok. A winch is good insurance to help you get out of those really bad situations.

SO a winch and some good tires should be on the RTV before you go out in the mud too much.

/ Kubota RTV1100 Concerns
It does have the 3000 lb winch on it already, so I will expect to use it then. I will look into getting some mud tires later. Thank all of you guys for the advice and input!

Howell Williams - Lake Fork, Texas