Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile?

/ Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile? #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
I have a Yamaha Rhino with an enclosed cab. I don't need a heater, I just want to keep the windshield clean. I plow a long driveway with it and snow blows back all over and sticks to the windshield. A windshield wiper would probably help too. Last year I kept paper towels with me and would jump out every few minutes and wipe the windshield down.

/ Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile? #2  
I had one of these in my previous tractor that worked very well. The tractor had a glass windshield, hard top, and soft sides and back. I made a mount bracket for the heater and hung it behind the right side of my head facing the windshield. It won't roast you out but provided enough heat to keep the windows from fogging up and just warm enough to take my gloves off while plowing. It was wired directly to the battery with fused power leads and inline 20A toggle switch.

Amazon.com: RoadPro RPSL-681 12V Direct Hook-Up Ceramic Heater/Fan with Swivel Base: Automotive

/ Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile? #3  
Are you speaking of the inside or out? We just retired a Rhino that was operated in the winter and had the same problem. I purchased a cab fan and added a wood clamp to it which held it to the roll bar. This helps for the inside and I carried a shammy for wiping it off as well. Anti-fog chemical wiped on it also helped. If you have a poly windshield, you need to be careful or it will be scratched up. On the next machine, we got glass. I can't locate a photo of our fan. Do note, the Rhino just has a stator which doesn't produce much power.

Attachments

• Rhino lights snow covered.II (DL) I.jpg
    Rhino lights snow covered.II (DL) I.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 113
   / Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile? #4  
Direct to the battery is not a good idea. Inless loads are through the main switch somebody will eventually run the battery dead.
While better than nothing and it may keep a peep hole clear, 200watts ain't much.
The machine had better have a high capacity charging system to charge a chilled battery in the winter after a cold engine start plus the supply the lights, fan and heater.

/ Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile?
It's generally the outside that gets caked in snow like pictured above. Mine also has a poly window. I am wondering about the capacity of the charging system. I did some research into and it looks like I might be using every bit of power available to run one of these 300w heaters once you add up all the other power being drawn from the system. My plow is attached to the electric winch too.

/ Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile? #6  
I've got a Rhino, no cab. Never investigated, but is there a way to "plumb" a hot water heater using the heater in lieu of the engine radiator or T'd into it's plumbing somehow??

/ Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile? #7  
I've got a Rhino, no cab. Never investigated, but is there a way to "plumb" a hot water heater using the heater in lieu of the engine radiator or T'd into it's plumbing somehow??
Can't speak to the Rhino, but on my Kubota, I inserted a copper fitting T into the top and bottom radiator hoses and used a 12 volt water pump off a VW heater to flow water through a little heater core. Stuck a little pancake fan on one side and it threw off lots of heat.

/ Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile? #8  
I think on the Rhino you'd need valves that would divert the flow to the cab heater, or back to the radiator. Properly plumbed you could divert however much flow you needed to warm the cab. The excess would continue to go thru the radiator. As easy as the Rhino engines cool I don't think you'd ever have to worry about engine overheating.

/ Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile? #9  
......... As easy as the Rhino engines cool I don't think you'd ever have to worry about engine overheating.
With my Kubota setup, I had to block the radiator on really cold days as the heater alone was adequate to cool the engine.

/ Any of the 12v defrosters worthwhile? #10  
In many cases a simple fan to move air will keep the windshield clear as often it is merely condensation.
12 volt computer 'muffin' fans will do the trick as they move lots of air, but on your own to mount them.