John Deere Buck 650ex Starting Issue

/ John Deere Buck 650ex Starting Issue #1  

SJay

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225 Tractor, John Deere 4x2 Gator, Husqvarna Zero Turn, John Deere Buck 650 ATV
I have a 2006 John Deere Buck 650ex that when pushing the starter button a relay just clicks. I checked voltage at the starter and when the relay clicks I have no voltage. Battery is good. Eventually the starter will fire. Is the starter relay bad? Any suggestions?
JohnDeerBuck.jpg

/ John Deere Buck 650ex Starting Issue #2  
Have you cleaned all contact points?

/ John Deere Buck 650ex Starting Issue #3  
Could be a loose wire connection. Check ground wires too. Can you bypass the relay and jump the starter directly?
Hopefully it is a loose wire or the relay. (cheap fix). You can bench test the starter to eliminate it as a problem.

/ John Deere Buck 650ex Starting Issue
No, I have not cleaned all the contacts points - I will next week when it is a little warmer - do I test the starter on the bench with just applying 12v to it?
Thanks

/ John Deere Buck 650ex Starting Issue #5  
If you have a 12 Volt test light, clamp it to ground and put the probe on the end of the light on the starter solenoid terminal that has the large cable which goes to your starter. My guess is your start solenoid is worn out and only making contact the odd time. If your test light lights up every time you turn the key to start your tractor, I would then get the starter itself checked out.

If you have a 12 Volt test light, clamp it to ground and put the probe on the end of the light on the starter solenoid terminal that has the large cable which goes to your starter. My guess is your start solenoid is worn out and only making contact the odd time. If your test light lights up every time you turn the key to start your tractor, I would then get the starter itself checked out.

Great Idea, I will try that tomorrow. Thanks

/ John Deere Buck 650ex Starting Issue #7  
How old is the battery?

Battery is brand new, just put it in about 1 month ago. Put a test light on the positive side of the starter - push the start button and the starter clicks but does not turn over and the light does not light. I could feel the starter clicking. When the light lights the starter turns over. Strange? Any ideas

Weather was decent today so I got the Buck out to work on it. Took the battery off, tightened all the connections on the starter solenoid (relay), hooked the battery back up and it fired right up - no clicking - looks like it could have been a loose connection. Hoping for the best.