anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro?

/ anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro? #1  

masalser

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5510, Kubota HST 3010, ASV RC100 tracked skidsteer, Bobcat 435 excavator, Howard Price 15' finish mower, Kubota ZD331 mower, Woodmizer LT40 super hydraulic sawmill
We've had two Polaris Rangers - one is a 1999 6x6 that is just plain beat to **** at this point and needs to be replaced. I took a look at the Kawasaki Mule Pro and was impressed by the bed capacity. We run a horse farm and use a UTV to bring hay to all of the horses. Typically that UTV gets loaded with four bails of hay stacked 2x2. We currently use a 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 for that task, but we have had to modify the bed somewhat to be able to take the hay it needs to. I am considering buying a Mule Pro to take over that hay task and then use the Ranger for the general farm and trail maintenance tasks that the 6x6 used to do. It seems like the bed design of the Mule Pro would work well for that task. We don't need a lot of power since it will get driven over relatively flat ground and we don't go particularly fast, but it does need to be four wheel drive since in western WA we have a lot of rain and mud. We would be interested in the one without the trans cab and possibly would get it with the electric power steering option.

My questions are does anyone have experience with these new Mules? I want to know what maintenance is like because I am used to dealing with the extremely difficult maintenance on the old Polaris Ranger and don't want to repeat that. Do people find that grease points are easy to reach and fluid changes locations are easily accessed on the Mules? In looking at recent machines from a number of manufacturers it looks like in general the machines have gotten way easier to maintain in terms of access to the engines and drive components. If you have a recommendation of a different machine I should consider please also post that, but keep in mind that I am interested in a spacious bed (it doesn't have to handle a huge amount of weight, it's more the size that matters), I never need to go faster than about 15 mph, and I am not very interested in the Kubotas because they seem to be more expensive and I have no need of the hydrostatic aspect. I see the MSRP of the Kawaski Mule Pro EPS looks to be in the neighborhood of $12k - what kind of pricing have people gotten out the door? The only options I would want would be a roof and windshield, though I could also fab those things up myself or potentially even transfer them over from our old Polaris depending on fit. Finally, does anybody know if there have been significant changes to the Mule Pros in the last couple years?

/ anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro? #2  
Don't have a Mule FX but do have a Kawasaki four wheeler and a Teryx and both have been great.The four wheeler is a 1998 with 4,000+ miles.I would think you would find any Kawasaki more trouble free than Polaris.
I have a 2016 Yamaha Viking but don't think that fits your "volume" question.Great machine though.

/ anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro? #4  
I have a 4010 Trans 4X4. It is great for working around the farm and toting the grandkids around (Grandma's job). I had to tow the Boomer 8N about 100' a while back and it did it. The Pro was just coming out when I bought mine. I didn't really see anything that was worth the extra money for my use. I like not having doors for the ease of getting in and out.

Maintenance is a breeze. One a year it goes to the dealer for a $99 complete service. Other than that I just add fuel occasionally and wash it.

/ anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro? #5  
Lots of info on the Mule Pro on this site.
Kawasaki ATV Forum

This forum is the best active forum right now for the Mule Pro. Also, there is at least one good thread here on TBN on the Mule Pros and there are a few of us that have them. Mostly the FXT models (6 people/Trans-mule).

masalser - Are you looking at the FXT model or others? That might help answer some of your questions. I love mine... So glad I did not go with Polaris.

/ anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro? #6  
I have a Mule Pro FX with power steering and electric dump bed. Only have about 45 hours on it so don't know about reliability. It replaced a Mule 3010 that I had for about nine years.
The Mule Pro has a Chinese 50hp automobile engine, same as the Gator. Seems fairly conservative as far as gas. The four wheel drive works very smooth, has good traction in mud and snow. My bed holds a three dog carrier without any trouble. There is a small storage area behind the seat but doesn't hold much. Kawasaki could make a more comfortable seat if they put their minds to it. The Pro weighs about 1600 lbs, has a comfortable ride. Mule Pro  Pic 2.JPG

/ anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro? #7  
I was around several brands over the weekend, noticed the KAW seemed awful tight in leg room with a 6'3 guy sitting in it, anyone have problems there?

Ronnie

/ anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro?
I want to say thank you to everyone who has replied and especially to those who referred me to the Kawasaki ATV forum - lots of useful information there. For our uses the Mule FX Pro EPS is probably what we will go with. In reference to MF283's question about the kawasaki being a tight fit for taller people, I certainly didn't find that to be the case when I drove it, and I am 6'5" and have long legs - did you perhaps drive the smaller Mule that Kawasaki sells? I was impressed with how the Mule FX Pro EPS felt driving it around and how relatively quiet it was compared to our older Polaris Rangers. The trans cab thing is cool, but I have no desire to spend the extra money and losse a bit of the cargo bed space at the same time.

The common comment I saw on the ATV forum referenced above was that the Mule FX Pros have some clearance issues and benefit from the tighter rear springs offered and also from a lift kit. I intend to get the stiffer springs but no lift since this will be a utility vehicle traveling on flat ground but with heavier loads.

By the way, I ended up selling my old Polaris Ranger 6x6 on Craigslist for $1250. In retrospect I should have listed it for more based on the number of responses I got, but it had reached the point where it needed to become someone else's project/problem. Parts were generally no longer available and so I had ended up doing things like welding together drive shafts to create a functional one without paying the ridiculous money that Polaris wanted for a new one and welding up destroyed u-joint ears in order to fix a mid-axle self destruct for an axle that is no longer available. We originally paid about $9,500 for the machine new and had it for 15 years, so I figure I did pretty good getting $1250 out of it.

/ anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro? #9  
I don't have a Pro, but spent a weekend down in the rocky desert area of Sonora Texas last year riding around on one. I was very impressed with the comfort of the ride, the amount of power it had, and it's ability to go anywhere!!!

/ anyone have experience with the Kawasaki Mule Pro? #10  
I bought a Kawasaki Mule Pro FX a couple of months ago. I have about 57 miles on it so far, so can't comment on maintenance issues, if any. The ample leg room was one reason for choosing the Mule. I am 6'4" and 240 lbs. Several of the UTV's I demoed were short on legroom. Only issue I've had was somewhat balky starting/running in cold weather on a couple of occasions. Dealer gave me a tip on start up procedure that has solved that issue. Vic