Honda Pioneer 1000

/ Honda Pioneer 1000 #1  

ripHST

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T474
Hey all......just bought one of these yesterday and I pick it up Saturday. I joined the forum last year because I was looking for a tractor to work the new property but due to my wife's delay and divert tactics, I ended up with a UTV. Well, to be fair, she made some good points and acknowledged we would need a tractor eventually but this will serve us well for a little while. Our biggest need is to drag brush and logs and we've got that covered.....but we also have a young son that will want to "help" and this is much safer for him. (If they come out with a 2-seater tractor, I'm on it.) I'm planning to buy the MUTS trailer (thanks jeff9366 for the suggestion) with the skidding arch so I think that combo will work out fine for now.

Anyway, the search for a tractor is delayed but will continue.......I'll try to report back on how this machine works out for me in case anyone is considering one.....craig

/ Honda Pioneer 1000 #2  
Did you get a 16 or 2017? 3 or 5 seat? EPS? Deluxe?

Congrats on a great machine, it should work well for brushing. One thing to explore is a power dump for the bed, you don't know how much better it is till you use it, especially for hauling firewood, dirt and rocks.

Oh and don't forget the pictures!!

/ Honda Pioneer 1000
I got a 2016 1000-5 deluxe. Good idea on the power dump......I'll have to see what's available. This is my first utv/atv of any kind so I'm still trying to figure out what I'll need....winch and roof to start I guess. Can't wait to get it home! I'll post some pics when I do.

/ Honda Pioneer 1000 #4  
We've used UTV's for around 10 years and now on our 2nd one which is a HD10 Defender. In the fall, we use it to move tools, supplies and people to work sites. All we've used the dump option for is to remove debris from the cargo box. But let me add that we also have a trailer to move gravel, lumber and other supplies with. Go figure.

/ Honda Pioneer 1000
We've used UTV's for around 10 years and now on our 2nd one which is a HD10 Defender. In the fall, we use it to move tools, supplies and people to work sites. All we've used the dump option for is to remove debris from the cargo box. But let me add that we also have a trailer to move gravel, lumber and other supplies with. Go figure.

I looked at the Defender pretty hard. I was drawn to Honda because of my experience with the brand, but also the DCT transmission. I never got completely sold on the CVT style transmission so I had a built in bias. I never did drive the Can Am, although I probably should have. They had an offer on the Honda so I compared against the Viking at the same dealer and the Honda felt much better so I jumped on it.

Sounds like your use will be just like mine. How is the HD10 treating you so far? What do you have before? Have you learned anything not so obvious about working with a UTV I should know?

/ Honda Pioneer 1000 #6  
We care for ski trails, so our Defender has pods and gets used to tow snow implements over the winter months. Although its not a primary tow machine so it does not see serious hours like other machines we have do.. In the fall, trail work as I mentioned earlier is of minimal burden on this machine to speak of. Over the winter, its HP does get maxed out often, so we do see problems associated with that.

/ Honda Pioneer 1000
We care for ski trails, so our Defender has pods and gets used to tow snow implements over the winter months. Although its not a primary tow machine so it does not see serious hours like other machines we have do.. In the fall, trail work as I mentioned earlier is of minimal burden on this machine to speak of. Over the winter, its HP does get maxed out often, so we do see problems associated with that.

Oh yeah....I've read a bunch of your posts actually. Nice machine! Great pics. I'll try to post some of my own once I get to use it in anger.

/ Honda Pioneer 1000 #8  
Please do post photos and your impressions of the machine. In fact, assuming you'll use it this summer, maybe do a review of it this fall? On a side note, Honda UTV and ATV transmissions have not fared very well with grooming machines.

Last edited:
   / Honda Pioneer 1000
Yeah.....there have been some grumblings about clutch issues, I imagine those are problems you're referring to. I knew about those issues before I bought but decided to give it a go anyway based on my experience with Honda as a company and the fact that the vast majority of owners haven't had this problem. I'll buy the extended warranty, JIC. My dealer said they've sold (50) of these and haven't had a single issue (that's coming from a salesman, granted) Most of the people I've heard of that have had the issue are trail riders...I haven't heard too many anecdotes from people that use them primarily for work (until now). What's involved in grooming with a UTV? Do you have an implement that you pull behind your machine?