Switching from a dual sport to a RZR

/ Switching from a dual sport to a RZR #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I currently own a Yamaha WR250R which is a street legal dual sport. I've been contemplating switching to say a Polaris RZR.
Background: Most of the time the Yamadog sits in the garage. I do take it out west for a three week vacation every year. I enjoy
riding the fire roads, Jeep trails etc. while visiting old mines and ghost towns. I like that the Yamaha is street legal. No trailering to
a dirt road. I haul the bike with me in the bed of my pickup while towing a camper. I unload it at a base camp and then explore up
to a reasonable radius.
I own a Grizzly 700 for my property and use it all the time over there. Last year I flew out to California to visit an old friend who found me on FB.
She owns a RZR 800 and said I would love it. I poo poo'ed the idea until we took it to her friends ranch and road up some 4x4 roads. I was
blown away by how smooth it was and no thumb throttle annoyances like the ATV. I enjoy the bike but and can be a real workout when the trail
deteriorates to "baby head" boulders. I've dropped the bike more in the last two years than since I bought it new in '08. I'm approaching 55
and wondering if I should switch. Looking for feedback from folks who have switched and will the RZR take the place of the Grizzly around my property.

/ Switching from a dual sport to a RZR #2  
With age comes a cage. You may like a Ranger/General more for your property uses and it will still be a lot of fun on the trails. I use my Rzr to check the cows, fix fence, pull a small trailer and small sprayer. The bed isn't quite big enough to easily take all the gear I need. A Ranger/General bed would be plenty.

I like to go fast sometimes so I went with the Rzr and pile things in the passenger floor/seat when the bed is full.

/ Switching from a dual sport to a RZR #3  
If you own Yamaha why not try the Viking.We have had good luck with ours.Friends have "not" had luck with Polaris SXS's.One of them after four Rangers has recently gone to Yamaha. 100_1662.JPG

/ Switching from a dual sport to a RZR #4  
I sold my Honda dual sport (XR 650L) to help pay for a 2016 Polaris RZR 900s.
My wife and I ride it nearly every weekend.
Bought it 5 months ago and already have 1300 mile on it.
We enjoy riding it and really like it so far.

Last edited:
   / Switching from a dual sport to a RZR
Thanks for the feedback, I haven't checked the thread recently. I've actually been looking "online" at the Yamaha Wolverine but will have to make the drive to Abernathy's to look at them. There's a RZR dealer on my way to my property. The Yamaha interest is because I've had good luck with Yamaha's over many years.

/ Switching from a dual sport to a RZR #6  
Thanks for the feedback, I haven't checked the thread recently. I've actually been looking "online" at the Yamaha Wolverine but will have to make the drive to Abernathy's to look at them. There's a RZR dealer on my way to my property. The Yamaha interest is because I've had good luck with Yamaha's over many years.
The Yamaha Wolverine is a two seater,same motor as the Viking(700cc/a little more HP) but has a fixed box where there Viking has a dump box(if that matters to you).More of a play machine and smaller in size.

/ Switching from a dual sport to a RZR #7  
When I was considering a SxS purchase, while spending countless hours browsing, one common question kept coming up, and that was why do I want it? If it's to do more work than play, then Ranger, or a utility type. But if it's more play than work, then Rzr, or sport model.

And think about it honestly. You can justify going each way, but in reality, what is the primary purpose?

Every time I blip the throttle, I still crack a smile and to me that's most important. Highly recommend a Rzr from personal experience, but any name brand UTV is ideal for getting out there, whether it be by yourself or with other(s)!

/ Switching from a dual sport to a RZR
I just bought a Wolverine (R-Spec) but will keep the dual sport. :)

/ Switching from a dual sport to a RZR #9  
There you go!

Congrats.