86 TRX350 ball joint adjustment

/ 86 TRX350 ball joint adjustment #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
The upper ball joint is an interesting thing, since it screws into the yoke and then unscrews to press into the axle. The lower one is presses in place but a step shoulder bolt screws into it from below.

I have my new bearings in the yoke and have figured how to adjust the top ball joint, but not sure how the lower bolt goes back in. Sadly I didn't pay attention when it came out. There is a washer with tabs to lock it in once set, but right now it's too loose to do any good.

Anyone seen any videos on this? Or have personal experience? I know I am overlooking something. I could try taking the other one apart, but am pretty ill right now so don't spend much time off the couch. As I mentioned, I did get the new wheel bearings in, that went smooth. I will do the others also, but when I feel better, so I thought I'd use the down time to educate myself.

/ 86 TRX350 ball joint adjustment
OK nevermind, I figured it out. Just have to bleed out the brakes and then go to the other wheel.

/ 86 TRX350 ball joint adjustment #3  
I gather you have the TRX350D Foreman, the first 4x4 quad? That was an an innovative and
unusual ATV with solid front axle. I had one, in primo shape.

Attachments

• trx350_4.jpg
    trx350_4.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 251
Yes it is 4x4, wasn't sure of the D part. Mine in not primo but good. Runs good, shifting is a little stiff compared to newer ones. Just had the wheel bearing issue, also repacked ball joints since they cannot be greased.

It's a giod quad but it had a few issues when I bought it, but I knew that going in.

I think mine is the Fourtrax actually

/ 86 TRX350 ball joint adjustment #6  
I have an 86 too. They were just TRX350's for that year, and front and rear racks were optional. In 1987 they got standard racks and became the TRX350'S Foreman.

They do have solid axles at both ends. Unfortunately, both axles are swing arm suspended, so there is no articulation, and the ride is pretty rough. They are real workhorses though!!

Yea it does ride a bit rough. I let some air out of the tires to try to help. It did some but nothing like the Recon.

/ 86 TRX350 ball joint adjustment #8  
Yeah, 1986-1989 Honda made a TRX350 Fourtrax, and a TRX350D Fourtrax Foreman. Not
sure what differences there were. Both 4x4 with solid axles and Rough Ride. Cool
under-seat gas tank with fuel pump.

Optional racks would be one difference, I suppose.