ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

There are many trailers designed for highway and on-road uses to be pulled by cars and trucks and tractors. But this thread isn't about those. This topic is the carts and trailers that can be used on lawns, pathways, trails and in woods or ground conditions that benefit from tires that are more likely found on riding lawnmowers rather than wheelbarrows. These go by many names and descriptions - all designed to haul a variety of payloads that are often wet, dirty, or utility related.

So let's leave off the small metal 2.25 foot x 3.25 foot $100 trailers that are too small to be used by an atv, utv, or subcompact tractor and typically have wheelbarrow type tires. This thread is more about the cart or trailer that typically can handle 500 lbs. up to 2000 lbs. . and prices and materials vary greatly.

I personally desired a cart/trailer that could be used by my riding lawn tractor but also couild be used for heavier hauling on my sub compact tractor. A capacity between 1200 lbs. and 1500 lbs. was my target but I didn't want some heavy weight item that was hard to move around outside and in the garage. I didn't want unstable on hills and sidehills nor did I want an expensive cart/trailer.
I looked at numerous 4 wheeled dump trailers of varied sizes and compared them with my local farm supply and bix box store offerings for my current and most of my future needs.

I ended up getting the 2 wheel 1500 lb. capacity Polar Industries product with the heavy plastic waterproof and watertight box and steel frame.

It's a dump trailer but . . . No . . . this isn't a $ 6500 dump trailer. It's a nicely designed and built dump trailer for hauling 10 to 20 five gallon buckets of dirt or rock or cement or firewood or branches, grass clippings, or leaves/mulch/compost.

Some might say it is light in weight. . . and they would be correct if referring to strain to move it . . . it is lightweight - but it isn't light duty. And the tires and axle/frame handle up to 1500 pounds if needed and the unit has handled everything I've put in it including water, concrete, rock, wood and landscaping blocks and bricks and yard waste. But if you literally want to throw logs or or large 100 lb rocks into it . . then this isn't the choice for you . . . its heavy duty but not indestructible. I've seen people throw firewood "at a trailer" or "drop" 100 lb log slices from 6 foot high into trailers - cracking 2 x 8 trailer decking. This isn't that use.

I have no rust or dents or cracks. Full full retail price on an HD 1500 like I have is $450 - but on sale you can find it a locations for $350 or even less some times. In my purchase I also got upper optional expanded metal framed extensions for the sides and front that are quickly removable - which is great for hauling quantity of brush, leaves, or grass (that was a freebee on a special rebate sale which was another $95 thrown in.

I could have gotten the HD 1500 4 wheel tandem axle version for 650.00 plus tax on sale which uses the same extensions and tires and trailer tray instead. That would have been nice for have it totally free standing and and horizontal without being attached to anything but I wasn't looking to spend $2000 or $1500 or $1000 or even $750 and I didn't want the added weight for moving it around.

The same product in a slightly shorter unit was the HD1200 models in single or tandem axle - each at a lower price than the HD1500 - but again I wanted capacity in size and weight for the subcompact tractor or an atv/utv - as well as pulling by my lawn tractor.

My point was - I was tired of too many light and heavy duty wheelbarrows - too many small pull behind carts that couldn't carry much or their tires that dug into the lawn. I wanted something that my lawn tractor could handle and then turn around and load heavy heavy items for my subcompact to pull.

I'm repeating myself deliberately - because some want a brush hauling cart and some want a $2000 trail ride ATV trailer with independent suspension axles. My point is, post your responses about your choices based on your real needs - not the "bigger is always better" theme.

I got alot of capacity and flexibility for 350 bucks in my opinion plus the extensions for free and I put it together myself with a couple small modifications and adjustments to make it more durable and better performing than the instructions did.

And I have lots of slope and sidehill areas - and this cart/trailer keeps the weight low and the axle/wheels keep it wide LOL.
And the tires on it are almost as heavy duty as my front subcompact tractor tires.

Light yet strong. . . Big capacity yet inexpensive. Stable yet not unwieldy. Pretty great combination for my varied needs. . . And it's so easy to clean out because nothing sticks to it. . . Just let the rain or hose do I for you. It sat out all winter upside down - no problem in heavy snows. No rust or paint peeling and if I had an ATV/utv/subcompact tractor - it is a 4 season tool for Wisconsin weather for dump or containing purposes.

my model size
Polar HD1500 trailer.jpg

Product Weight (LBS) 127
Load Capacity (Lbs.) 1500lbs
Load Size (Cubic Ft.) 22 Cubic Feet
Load Size Heaping (Cubic Ft.) 27 Cubic Feet
Note - with extensions can be 35+ cubic feet
Overall Dimensions 98" x 54" x 31"
Body Dimensions 72" x 40" x 18"
Tire Size 18 x 8.50

All the Polar cart models:

Polar Trailers | Heavy Duty Steel ATV + Four Wheeler Trailers

VIDEO of the HD1200 and HD1500

So how about the rest of you ? What do you have for carts and trailering for your subcompact tractor, lawn tractor, atv, or utv?

Attachments

• 2014_polar_trailer_shoot_low_res_752_1.jpg
    2014_polar_trailer_shoot_low_res_752_1.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
   / ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #2  
:camera: ?
Edit: I see Pics now added. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #3  
But if you literally want to throw logs or or large 100 lb rocks into it . . then this isn't the choice for you . . . its heavy duty but not indestructible. I've seen people throw firewood "at a trailer" or "drop" 100 lb log slices from 6 foot high into trailers - cracking 2 x 8 trailer decking. This isn't that use.

There are times I move firewood from one place to another. I throw it in the back of my Mule. There is no way I'm going to buy a trailer that couldn't handle std sized firewood being tossed into it. I'm not talking log slices, just firewood.

Looks like a great trailer, though.

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices
Astrohlp,

See now I've become a big one for "clarification" LOL. I've only ever lent out my normal 10 foot open trailer to one person who wanted to use it for moving some firewood. Now that trailer I lent out was not some big box retailer's collapsible $299 trailer. It has a 3500 lb axle and many many times its been at full load since I had it made for me to my design9 years ago. Its 2x8 and 2 x 10 flooring that took years of weather and sun and hauling and still does.

My trailer came back the next day from the borrower - and half of the 2x8 or 2x10 flooring boards showed cracking splits (but not dents). The friend claimed they just threw the firewood in the trailer for each load. I asked if it had been split and he said no - just cut. So now - I define define define - because some people don't recognize "degree of action" LOL. I'm not gentle by any means - I work - but I don't destroy LOL. The plastic design of the Polar trailer I wrote about in the post above is very tough - but if someone can cause splits in 2 x deck boards - they could cause damage to anything short of a 10 yard dump trailer - - - maybe even that too LOL.

If you can throw firewood in the back of your Mule - you can certainly throw alot more in the Polaris Dump Trailer :)

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #5  
Astrohlp,

Its 2x8 and 2 x 10 flooring that took years of weather and sun and hauling and still does.

My trailer came back the next day from the borrower - and half of the 2x8 or 2x10 flooring boards showed cracking splits (but not dents). The friend claimed they just threw the firewood in the trailer for each load.

Let me guess...instead of winching logs out of the woods, they used a modified bale thrower to chuck them into the trailer from whereever they were laying (I'd watch a video of that!!). It takes some rough handling to split 2X deck boards.

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #6  
I don't own one but the King Kutter 1.5 ton looks like a nice unit. Trying to save up $2500 for it. The Bobcat is a little rough on the grass moving mulch.

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #7  
I just made my own trailer, well two now. I started off with one of those steel garden tractor carts but firewood quickly beat it up to the point where the sheet metal looked really bad. The wheels had cheap bushings that quickly wore out and it had no suspension for going anywhere other than a flat lawn. The first trailer I made was from an old 40" x 48" (for highway use) trailer. The garden tractor trailer had the ability to dump but I never used it and didn't want to engineer something that could do something I never used. I used the axle and leaf springs and that's about it. It was built to handle years of firewood abuse and be pulled behind an ATV.
S7300040.JPG
Since then I have gotten a side by side and the trailer is really too small. I use it but I kind of wanted something larger. Also the 4.8x8 trailer tires sink into the soft ground more than I like. I was given two trailers a couple years ago, a Holsclaw boat trailer with coil springs and a trailer to haul an ATV or garden tractor that had been sitting for 10 years. Between the two I'm in the process making something a little larger with golf cart wheels that should float better on the soft stuff. I still need to put a floor in it, a tailgate, and I'm thinking of putting expanded steel on the sides. I probably have $200 at most into it.
new trailer.jpg

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #8  
Greetings,

I ended up getting the 2 wheel 1500 lb. capacity Polar Industries product with the heavy plastic waterproof and watertight box and steel frame.

It's a dump trailer but . . . No . . . this isn't a $ 6500 dump trailer. It's a nicely designed and built dump trailer for hauling 10 to 20 five gallon buckets of dirt or rock or cement or firewood or branches, grass clippings, or leaves/mulch/compost.

Some might say it is light in weight. . . and they would be correct if referring to strain to move it . . . it is lightweight - but it isn't light duty. And the tires and axle/frame handle up to 1500 pounds if needed and the unit has handled everything I've put in it including water, concrete, rock, wood and landscaping blocks and bricks and yard waste. But if you literally want to throw logs or or large 100 lb rocks into it . . then this isn't the choice for you . . . its heavy duty but not indestructible. I've seen people throw firewood "at a trailer" or "drop" 100 lb log slices from 6 foot high into trailers - cracking 2 x 8 trailer decking. This isn't that use.

So, do you think that trailer would be suitable as a platform for a log splitter?

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices
So, do you think that trailer would be suitable as a platform for a log splitter?

I'd want to define things from your question because it can be taken in different ways.

1. If I am a log Splitter. . . then the result of my splitting could certainly be placed in the hd1500 trailer and transported.

2. If I have a gas powered log splitter and wanted to transport it to a work site. . . then depending on its length and size. . . I could potentially transport the log splitter to and from a website . . Take it out of the trailer . . . Operate it. . And when done put it back in the trailer and haul it home.

3. If I wanted to put a log splitter into the trailer and then operate the unit from the trailer. . . then absolutely not would the trailer work in that situation in my opinion and I would not attempt it.

/ ATV, UTV, Lawn Tractor, or Sub Compact trailer choices #10  
I'd want to define things from your question because it can be taken in different ways.

1. If I am a log Splitter. . . then the result of my splitting could certainly be placed in the hd1500 trailer and transported.

2. If I have a gas powered log splitter and wanted to transport it to a work site. . . then depending on its length and size. . . I could potentially transport the log splitter to and from a website . . Take it out of the trailer . . . Operate it. . And when done put it back in the trailer and haul it home.

3. If I wanted to put a log splitter into the trailer and then operate the unit from the trailer. . . then absolutely not would the trailer work in that situation in my opinion and I would not attempt it.

None of the above. I would want to mount a splitter I beam/Ram and hydraulic tank and associated parts permanently on the trailer. About 700 pounds of machinery.