CAN-AM Commander Ltd Drive Belt Wear Issue

/ CAN-AM Commander Ltd Drive Belt Wear Issue #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I have a 1000 cc CAN-AM Commander Limited. The previous owner warned me of belt wear, but I still am unable to understand how the Belt warning comes on after < 80 miles on a brand new belt. My wife and I are gentle on the dirt and gravel roads, so how does the belt wear so fast?

When the old belt was replaced, it still looked pretty good. I tend to believe the gauges and warning lights though.

Does anyone know how the sensors for belt replacement warning light measures wear?

I feel like ignoring the warning, but will be sad if the warning is correct. I hate changing the drive belt.

Any insights are appreciated.

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ CAN-AM Commander Ltd Drive Belt Wear Issue #2  
I'm not sure how the warning lights work on Can-Am, but only 80 miles on a belt something is wrong.
I recently looked at the belt on my RZR 900s at 2300 miles. (has no warning lights for the belt that I'm aware of)
Everything still looked good, I put the cover back on a will run it longer.

Are you running a OEM belt or aftermarket.
I'm no fan of aftermarket belts. OEM belts last longer IMO.

/ CAN-AM Commander Ltd Drive Belt Wear Issue #3  
I would say if you do a lot of slow, stop and go , or steep hills using the lowest range possible would be good.

Only on second belt on my 2007 Outlander 800, use OEM belts. Also on second belt on the 2010 RZR 800, if you do alot of time at the lower speed and slip the belt and get a glaze on it from heat there will not be much life left in it.

This is the reason I have the RTV1100 for the heavy slow hilly work.

Never heard of belt wear lights, how do they work??

David