Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ???

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #21  
Thanks for the compliment on the cabin. Nothing great but quite cozy and I built it myself. If you are ever planning on coming up to the southern tier in NY flip me an email and you'll have a place to hunt....

John

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #22  
is actually in a zone where you can hunt bear
=====================================
I clicked interior 1 picture and I'll be but there's a bear in your living room, right dab square in the middle of the floor. Looks like it's alive too.

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wouldn't own a Polaris or an Arctic Cat... )</font>

I understand the Polaris part of the comment - heard LOTS of complaints about them over the years - but I'm curious - why you have such a low opinion of AC?

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #24  
Thanks for the offer you never know??

My hardest ordeal with being able to come that far to hunt would be explaining why to my wife!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #25  
I don't know birdhunter1's reason but for me it was a former dealers statements.
i know a guy who sold them for about two years as the owner of the dealership. he said the warranty stuff was running him crazy. he said artic cat was pure junk. i saw one that had complete front end failure . the ball joints failed and the whole spindle ,hub and tire assy just came off.
now my neighbors got one and he runs it hard and it holds up . but for me from what the former dealer said and showed me i wouldnt consider one.

also why buy artic cat when you could buy a suzuki and get the same engines but better everything else than artic cat.

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #26  
The ball joint failure was a recall item a few years ago. A bad design issue in some of the bikes, (and a dangerous one too), but not something that wasn't rectified and something that is non-existent now. Sounds like you talked to him when this problem was hitting and that he was frustrated with the work he had to do to meet the recall requirements.

I personally know several ranchers who use AC's and have nothing but praise. (and these guys are the real-deal - not wanna-be's "playing" rancher). If you go to dedicated ATV boards you will find out that AC's have a generally solid reputation as a hard working vehicle. Not known for being as fast as other brands or as light, but known more as a work horse not a play-thing. The only real problem I've heard of is when people try and put lift kits and bigger tires on them (hard on axles) - but personally I don't see the point other than play for adding extra lift to an ATV that has a 12" of clearance as it comes from the factory (500).

As for everything being "better" on a Suzuki - well, it's obvious to me you haven't taken a close look at AC's. Suzuki makes a good product, but to say it outclasses AC's design/build is absolute nonsense.

Why don't we ask some folks here that own AC's what their experience has been. TOMLESCOEQUIP, Lazy? Any comments?

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #27  
Like I said before, I believe all brands are fine except maybe for Polaris and Bombardier(which sells under that name and also builds John Deere ATV,s) of which I dont know much about. I own a 1985 Honda and a 1992 Kawasaki, both are still going strong and working hard, the Honda has started to show some signs of old age i.e. ;timing chain,front bearing and a general ''banged-up look'' but that is no big surprise on a 20 year old machine. The original poster was looking for a used ATV, considering that Honda will most time demand a premium , he should maybe look at other brand as well. I for one wouldnt shy away from Kawasaki , Suzuki, AC, or Yamaha .

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #28  
I'm an old Yamaha buff. (Honda too.)

I like most all brands. Just mainly not those that have an exposed belt or chain in the drive sytem. If you typically run across fields of hay and clover, this is not an issue, but, if you like to play in the mud, sand and water, get an enclosed system, preferably with a final shaft drive to the axles.

The Yamaha Rhino's are hard to come by. Dealers have waiting lists around here. Most are all sold before they arrive. Whereas there are plenty of Mules etc. available. The Kubotas are not real plentiful either. This is simply a supply and demand issue that should be overcome by a few more production runs.

Again, the dealer should have a big influence in whatever you buy. But even a good dealer can't fix a bad lemon design.

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #29  
I was under the impression that suzuki made AC 's engines. now i will say the old king quads are some pretty good machines. i have seen them put all to shame with that locking diff. in some pretty bad mud holes. i saw a guy just play in a hole that two hondas( mine included) two kawasakis and 3 polaris's all got stuck.
i came real close to buying one after that .

like i said my neighbors get it ruff!! but honestly for me i will stick to honda.
now i have a kawasaki 300 bayou 4x4 also . it has been a good machine but it has taken much more maint than the honda and the parts are a lot higher.
but i keep it going like i have for 12 years.

I guess i am just a honda person . i also have two honda cars for commuting to work. i drive a civic and my wife drives a accord and let's see i have a honda powered generator. and i am getting ready to buy a honda powered pressure washer. i have always had good luck with hondas. i once had a honda crx si that had over 225,000 miles when i traded it. it was still going strong only fault a bad rear bearing.

But really to each thier own it is just fun to poke at the subject sometimes! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I was under the impression that suzuki made AC 's engines. ))</font>

Yea, they do - except for the 650, which is a Kawasaki engine.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I guess i am just a honda person. )</font>

Based on what you ride/drive/wash with, I'd agree! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Honda has always made a fine product for the most part - although the wife did have a timing belt go in her Accord (way before it was scheduled to be changed out) and a few other little things, but those things happen. Overall, still a quality product IMO.

I guess for the used market I just don't see the risk with AC that others do - now granted, if I bought a used AC, the first thing I would do is to take it to a dealer and double check the ball joint recall had been executed on it. Personally though, I would have a hard time buying a used ATV because even if it is a top notch model/brand, ATV's are notorious for being abused by their owners. (Not talking about working something - that's OK, I'm talking about downright abuse.) I'd just be afraid of buying someone else's problems in an ATV purchase no matter the brand because of this aspect. I understand the issue of economy, but all else being equal, what you save today by buying used my wind up biting you in the rear end shortly after the purchase due to abuse related breakage/repair.

Overall, I think it is pretty hard to go wrong with most of the brands (well, except for the Polaris - seems to be either you get a fantastic machine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif or a complete lemon /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif - just too risky for my blood). Just saying what I've seen/heard over the years (this is parroted a lot on the ATV boards too.)

Glad you like your Honda - I'm sure it will continue to serve ya well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif