Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ???

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #1  

StoneyFF

Tractor
TC35D w/FEL & BH
<font color="blue">Folks,

Looking at ATV's now... need to be able to get around the acreage...

Anyway spent too much already on other things, so obviously looking at used. Were at one dealer and saw some Kawasaki's, but have heard some things that concern me about them holding up. Have heard lots of good things about Honda's, but there aren't many used in the range I'm looking at (250-400cc, racks, platforms for your feet, not pegs... safety issue, and a price down in the 'reasonable' range)... What I do see is a lot of Yamaha's in that range...

So my question is, are Yamaha's relaible? How do they compare to Honda's and Kawasaki's? And is there any guidance on what is important and what's not?

Thanks!
</font>
<font color="maroon">Stoney</font>
<font color="red">{so many things to buy... so little money left <grin>}</font>

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #2  
I have ridden all of the brands you mention at some point. The Yamaha was a late 80's 200 with shaft drive and virtually no suspension. That thing was fast for no more displacement than it had. I don't remember it ever having any problems except for the rough ride.
My personal favorite is Suzuki. My '97 is 250cc with switchable 4WD with a three range transmission and 4 wheel independent suspension. It is heavy for its class so it isn't all that fast but you can lock the front differential and go practically anywhere. Low center of gravity, too. It doesn't have a full floorboard but goes from the peg back.
Most folks in this area ride Hondas and they seem to command a premium in the used market. I have personally seen a lot of hours put on them with no real problems.
All in all, any of these seem to be as reliable as the other in my experience. Most of the failures I have seen in any of these brands were due to extreme use or even abuse.

Jeff

Attachments

• 437342-image0001.jpg
    437342-image0001.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 326
   / Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #3  
   / Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #4  
As far as new or late model say 2001 and up all major manufacturers make strong reliable utility 4-wheelers, 300cc and up. That said the older in age the more I would lean toward honda by a wider margin. The 250cc thru 400cc honda TRX line was the benchmark, utility 4-wheelers for durability throughout the 80's and 90's . I just bought my first tractor last year, but I've owned at least 1 , 4-wheeler for the last 20years. Now many years ago when my only goal was to bounce through the dirt faster than the guy next to me, Yamaha was the way to go. Also you can buy aftermarket steel expanded metal foot boxes for most if not all major brands and models. Hey I seen TSC selling a 250cc 2-wheel drive 4-wheeler for $3800 some off brand. stay away from the first automatics from the mid to late 90's the newer autos are vastly improved. well without knowing a price range I guess I'm done, good luck

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #5  
You should look into the Polaris line of 4 wheelers. They have the best set up with there A arm design for more ground clearance compared to the straight rear axle. Very dependable machines and I have put mine through the test and no problems. Plus I pulled alot of Honda's out of the mud because of their rear axle design. Look at the 400 sportsman model 4x4 and chk out the axle set ups and you will be able to see the differance. Have fun shopping and test ride all models to see what you like best. Good luck.

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #6  
Looks like this guy needs a Honda to Pull his Polaris out of the crap..

Attachments

• 438739-quadslr 015.jpg
    438739-quadslr 015.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 413
   / Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #7  
they are all fine, when buying used it is a throw of the dice to some extent, I own a Kawasaki 300cc bayou 1992, it is a no frill ATV but just what you could expect from such a machine, a friend has a Suzuki 250cc circa 1987, bought used 10-15 years ago, used on a regular basis, working hard, plenty satisfied. those 2 brands are probably the most bashed around brands you could find, in short all brands are fine, some demand a premium when bought used, are they worth it,?????? dunno but they are all really well built for the purpôse they were designed for

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #8  
Here's a pic of a 88 Honda 300 four wheel drive that probably had 4000 miles and 40 rollovers on it. I sold it for $950.00 with plow and still ran like a top. I bought a 2001 Honda 450ES and I use it as a workhorse. Trailriding its a little heavy but it sure has a lot of torque and low gearing to get the work done.

Attachments

• 438774-vacation-02 002.jpg
    438774-vacation-02 002.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 455
   / Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #9  
johnk actually from what we can see it looks like a honda rancher in the picture.
now i am a honda man even though i have both a honda and a kawasaki. the kawasaki i have had for about 12 years and yes it still runs great but has more problems than the honda. parts for the kawasaki are higher .
i have rode with them all i still say for a dependable machine that you get your moneys worth from buy honda. they have some faults like no disc brakes but i fixed that by adding a after market kit for disc's.

actually my next choice would be suzuki then kawasaki then yamaha and then polaris. i wouldnt even think about buying a artic cat.
i have friends who have polaris's but most that like them have never owned another atv and don't have a clue how a truly well built machine should hold up.
For a utility machine in your range i would really look hard at the honda foreman s. i have one with 3500 miles and the only problem i have had is a left rear bearing failure and i take responsibility for that cause of my big tires.

/ Honda vs. Yamaha vs. Kawasaki vs. ??? #10  
Some people like the fact there are 48 or so zerk fittings on the polaris sportsman. To me I couldn't be bothered with worrying when to grease them etc. I like my Honda. All sealed up with hardly any maintinance. If grease fittings are reassurance, buy a Polaris.