Creative Solution needed ... ATV snowblade attachment posts are too short, dislodges

/ Creative Solution needed ... ATV snowblade attachment posts are too short, dislodges #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
moved from general forum ...

Hi all,

This is a post regarding the factory snowblade attachment - the post to frame area underneath.

IF I have one complaint about the 2006 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 ATV that I bought with the 60" snowblade attachment, it is that the (tiny 1/2 - 3/4 inch) posts / pins that are welded onto the frame at factory, are too short, and in a heavier snowfall the snowblade just dislodges from those posts under the weight.

Perhaps "posts" is not the correct word. They are a hook-up point under the machine, where the snowblade arm attaches to the ATV frame.

There are limited options though, as once the snowblade is hooked onto the frame, it is then secured with a pivoting, spring loaded, hook-clamp that needs to first clear the 1/2 - 3/4 inch post. Once it is on, all things are good. KEEPING it on becomes the issue as I plow through and make progress in the snow.

Over the years, I have gone back to the dealership to see if things can be modified re extending that TOP "post" so that the snowblade doesn't pop off mid-way through plowing. But I have the proper setup. I'm just not happy with it.

MY SOLUTION has been to put a ratchet strap around the snowblade arm, securing it to the frame and going over, hooking to the posts to tighten it. Bungie cords were not a good solution, as there was too much flex / give.

I am not a welder, but i thought that maybe the "posts" could be extended an extra 1/2 inch, so that the snowblade could no longer be dislodged. Trouble is that extending it means that the hook - clamp would not clear the longer post. A cotter pin of some sort could be used to hold the "hook clamp" (silver thing --- sorry, no idea what they are called) to the frame. I think the TOP post would need to be extended with a 90 degree adjustable end, so that it could be folded over for securing it all. The BOTTOM Post has the pivot point for the clamp, no change needed there.

I will try to get some photos. Maybe some of you DIY experts can find a better solution than the ratched straps.

1) secured - the TOP post is too shallow
2) this photo went sideways
3) shows the clamping piece in silver, the TOP post is barely past the silver clamp
4) secured again

Perhaps there are similar designs for tractors. I will try to put this in the ATV forum

DSCN4165.JPGDSCN4166.JPGDSCN4178.JPGDSCN4180.JPG

/ Creative Solution needed ... ATV snowblade attachment posts are too short, dislodges #2  
That痴 very strange, i have the exact same ATV and plow setup and it has never come off once. Maybe the plow frame has spread apart or was bent? I値l look at mine and see how much the pin is past the hole, but i don稚 think it痴 much.

/ Creative Solution needed ... ATV snowblade attachment posts are too short, dislodges
Thanks Otto

No damage to mine at this point, straight as new - I have broken the winch cable a few times, but that's it. The only part the has any flex (other than the winch) is the silver part that covers the posts, but it's as tight as it needs to be.

It only comes off in deep wet snow, but that condition is a regular occurance out here, and we are on the tail end of the road crews agenda ... so it is easily 4-5 days before the snowplows get here.

I'm thinking that welding on some kind of butterfly clamp would solve it.

/ Creative Solution needed ... ATV snowblade attachment posts are too short, dislodges #4  
I used to have a blade with the same attachment type on a ATV.

Is there a spring on the other side of the bolt holding the latch on?

Tighten the bolt down and see if that helps, otherwise remove the spring and tighten the bolt completely when the blade is mounted. You'd have to loosen the bolt to remove the plow each time.