Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV

/ Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
I have a Polaris Ranger 500 and I was thinking about putting a set of tire chains on the rears. I have some real steep trails and driveway . If anyone uses chains what type is best and is there any problem with clearances.

/ Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV #2  
I have a Polaris Ranger 500 and I was thinking about putting a set of tire chains on the rears. I have some real steep trails and driveway . If anyone uses chains what type is best and is there any problem with clearances.

I plowed for two winters without chains with my RTV X900 and Boss V-Plow, but last winter we had enough ice after snowing that I ended up purchasing chains for the rear. It makes stopping easier and more secure. I've never been stuck, even without the chains, but I do enjoy having the security of the chains. I plow over a mile of dirt road with almost 300 feet of elevation change. I purchased my from Miller tire: 25x8-12, 25x1-12 ATV Snow Tire Chains

/ Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV #3  
I've has good luck with these guys for chains on my tractors. They do ATV chains as well:
tirechain.com

If lateral (side-to-side) traction is an issue for you (if you do a fair amount of operating on side hills), you may want to spend the extra for the diamond pattern chains. The studs on the ladder-style chains help some with lateral traction, but it's hard to beat the diamond pattern, or a similar pattern that has something other than just cross chains.

/ Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV
I have purchased tire chains for my power trac from tirechains.com as they are only about 15 miles away. I will probably go with the standard 2 link space chains if I decide to buy any.

/ Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV #5  
What kind of shape are your tires in?

I put chains on my foreman, then the next spring bought new rims and tires thinking I'd just switch tire out fall & spring.

The new tires were radials and work great in the snow plowing.

/ Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV #6  
I have yet to get my ranger 570 stuck with stock tires - rain, mud, water, rocks, snow, ice, it just pulls right through it uphill or down. The only close call was entering a mud pit in one wheel drive, just flip it into 4 wheel and it crawled right out, up a slippery hill on the outbound side.
MT

/ Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV
Tires are ok probably about 70% tread on them, I was just wondering how much difference chains would make mainly on going up and down hills on hard packed snow or ice.

/ Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV #8  
Tires are ok probably about 70% tread on them, I was just wondering how much difference chains would make mainly on going up and down hills on hard packed snow or ice.

Huge difference I run diamond studded ice chains on 825i and after things get packed down and icy it's the only way to go.

DiamondStudded.jpg

International Chain & Cable - ATV Tire Chains

I run the same chains on my Kubota BX on the rears in the winter as well

/ Does anyone use tire chains on their UTV #9  
why mess around with less capable traction options? :laughing:

Attachments

• defenderdeepsnow.jpg
    defenderdeepsnow.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 313
  • defenderside..jpg
    defenderside..jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 477